Just a couple of Stevens 200 rifles.

taylorce1

I did the first rifle last summer it was my first time toying with a Savage rifle. Bought this Sevens 200 just to build something on. I settled on 6X47/6mm-222RM for the cartridge. I put a Sin Arms 1:12 twist barrel on it #3 contour, 11 degree crown 20" long. SSS competition trigger, recoil lug, and the tactical bolt handle.

I had a ton of 55 grain Nosler BT bullets I couldn't get to shoot in my .243 Win which helped with the caliber decision. Shoots pretty good with 29 grains of H335 and the 55 grain bullets. It is able to stabilize 80 grain Winchester bulk bullets and puts them 6" low from POI of the 55 grain bullets may have to try a pronghorn with this rifle in the fall.

I primed the stock with some NAPA brand automotive plastic primer; and I painted the stock with just a plain textured Forest green paint. Put a couple coats of satin clear on it as well. Going to send it off soon for a black titanium finish on the barreled action.

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture018.jpg

taylorce1

The next rifle I just picked up a bone stock .223 Rem three weeks ago. I found it used with a Burris FFII 2-7X35 scope on it. When you factored in the price of the scope it was just too good of a deal to pass up. I did move the scope to my 6X47 and put the 2-7 Monarch on this one, unfortunately can't use the Butler creek flip up on eyepiece because I used shorter rings and the bolt hits the scope cap.

This rifle will probably get the same treatment as the 6X47 as far as the SSS trigger and bolt handle go. I'm not planning on changing out the cartridge so I doubt I'll install the recoil lug since it seems to be a decent shooter already.

I primed the stock again with the same NAPA plastic primer. I found some Gray Stone textured paint to try. It was textured all right, felt like someone glued gravel to the stock. Tried a little sandpaper and it smoothed right out and didn't pull the paint off. Finished again with a satin clear coat.

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

Should be ready for prairie dogs this summer at the least.

jhgreasemonkey

I like how the stock turned out. I have been wanting to pick up another savage 110 or stevens 200 06' and build a .35 whelen. Nice job.

taylorce1

I like how the stock turned out. I have been wanting to pick up another savage 110 or stevens 200 06' and build a .35 whelen. Nice job.

I wouldn't use the Stevens rifle for a .35 Whelen just because of the stock. The stocks are really flimsy and flex a lot, you would be better off picking up one of the newer accustocks in a Savage 110 which will give you a much stiffer platform for your rifle. Plus with the new centerfeed actions finding an aftermarket stock to upgrade the Stevens is a real PITA, not a whole lot of people geard up for them yet.

taylorce1

The more I look at them the more I like the green one.

This seems to be about as good as I get with this 6X47 rifle (Green one). Probably need to bed it and that would help the groups.

6x47002.jpg

CZ MAN

NICE RIFLE

Love the way the stock looks , i have a stevens that i bought just for the action & stock.. Had a gunsmith friend install me a 30 cal bbl blank , chamber in 7.62 x 39 soviet .... Crown the bbl and chop it at 23" .. Not to long , not to short juuusst right... Trigger job.. Mount a set of steel leopold rings and mounts.... With a 3x9 x 40 simmons scopes ... When we sighted the bugger in he wanted to keep it.... 30cal give me better bullet selection and after all that .... My wife took it away from me ..... Now i have to start all over again.....

Question , is the finish rough on your face when you fire it ?????? :)

cz man