Jungle Clips?

Sixer

Anyone know anything about "jungle clips" for M1 Carbines? I have seen many palces that offer them online but I cant find much information about them. I am particularly interested in their purpose and how they are used. I appreciate any knowledge you can share! :)

TPAW

Anyone know anything about "jungle clips" for M1 Carbines?

Can't say that I have. Besides, the M-1 Carbine uses magazines, not clips, as far as I know? But then again, I'm no expert on M-1 Carbines. JMHO...:confused:

dalegribble

jungle clips are a piece of metal that joins two hi cap mags together. you finish one mag and the other is right there ready to use.

Hk_Allday

to TPAW's point, M1's (Garands anyway) used magazines that held 8 rounds together in a small metal device that actually fit down inside the receiver action, right? not a conventional box-style that we call a magazine today. Why wouldn't they have called the M1 clip, well... a "clip"?

When the last round was fired, the empty metal piece would eject out and go "TING!" alerting the enemy that you were in the process of reloading :)

They typically came issued in a OD "sling" or bandoleer with about 20 of them in it I think. All speculation though, I'm no expert.

TPAW

to TPAW's point, M1's (Garands anyway) used magazines that held 8 rounds

Wait a second here! M-1 Garands used clips and M-1 Carbines used mags.

dalegribble is correct... Jungle clips simply hold 2 magazines together allowing instant access to a spare mag

In Vietnam we called it Duct Tape, fixed everything!........;)

ISC

yes, clips (enbloc) are used in some rifles like Garands, carcanos, and M95 Steyrs

Clips (stripper) are also used to loadsome rifles with internal magazines like the SKS and most WWII bolt action rifles. They can also be used in combination with a charger to load detatchable magazines.

Magazines can be detachable, fixed, or internal.

If anyone thinks that the words are interchangable I would like to offer you some M16 clips for sale for $2 each. The definitions of the word "clip" means the difference between a great deal and getting screwed.

The "jungle clips" are an item designed by civilians for amateurs. I've seen them advertised for M16, AK 47, and M1 carbine. In 13 years in the military I've never seen them used by anyone.

I don't even care for duct taping mags together because that results in making it harder to get in a good prone position and allows debris to enter the mag and allows rounds to get cockeyed and jam.

Dfariswheel

The M1 Carbine "jungle clip" to join two magazines together for a fast magazine change, is VERY much a non-military invention.

It was never used by the military and the M1 Carbine has a history of malfunctioning if anything heavier then the standard 30 round magazine is used.
The extra weight causes failures to feed.

T. O'Heir

Unless you have some of the rubber mag covers($1.95 each from Gunparts), the bottom mag may end up filled with dirt. If you plan on using 30 round mags, 60 rounds of .30 Carbine isn't exactly light to lug around either.

mini4m3

Malcomxm1carbine3gr.gif

Malcom X with jungle cliped M1 Carbine

drew1944

As to the suggestion that the Garand's clip ejection alerts the enemy that your rifle is empty, I believe Ian Hogg started that rumor. I prefer Peter Kokalis' observation that he has never heard of a battlefield that was quiet enough to hear a piece of sheet metal pinging.

TPAW

As to the suggestion that the Garand's clip ejection alerts the enemy that your rifle is empty, I believe Ian Hogg started that rumor. I prefer Peter Kokalis' observation that he has never heard of a battlefield that was quiet enough to hear a piece of sheet metal pinging.

Neither did my father. Big Red One, 1st Infantry Division, WW2. From Africa all the way up into Europe. Four years of combat. Clips making noise that alerted the enemy! I never heard him laugh so hard. Out of nervesness in combat, GI's farting in their pants because of bowel disorders and fear, was louder than a so called clip alerting the enemy. Not to mention throwing up from the gut wrenching fright and the sight of your buddies being blown apart with pieces flesh and brain matter all over you.

Sixer

Thanks for the info fellas! I actually saw that picture of Malcom X on Wikipedia, and the caption that mentioned a "jungle clip". That pic is what prompted me to ask about the jungle clip. Upon seeing the picture, I originally thought it could possibly be used to convert 2 30rd mags into one monster 60rd magazine! I realize now that obviously is not the case.

It seems that the purpose of the jungle clip wouldnt have much of an advantage over a simple magazine pouch. Good info though, I dont think I will be adding a jungle clip to the list of things I want for my M1:)

mini4m3

I've had dual cliped AK47 mags and the ease of having a loaded mag (even though heavy) right there is very nice. Easy and quick to use.

44 AMP

Staff
As a general rule.....

Magazines have a spring. Fixed, detachable, tubular, blind box, etc., all have a spring that is used to feed cartridges.

Clips do not have a spring that feeds cartridges. They may be made of spring steel (enbloc, moon, half moon, etc.), they may actually be a spring, but they do not have a spring to feed cartridges. Some stripper clips have a "spring", a leaf type spring, used to tension cartridges, to keep them in the stripper clip (Mauser stipper clips, etc.), but the spring does not feed cartidges like the spring in a magazine.

As others have pointed out, "jungle clips" are spring steel clips for fastening two magazines together. They are an invention of a clever marketer, and were/are used by individuals who do not well understand the drawbacks of their use in actual combat. They are a "Hollywood" type gadget, impressive looks hiding severe flaws in both principle and execution. They have never been a US military issue item.