Jungle Carbine Questions

Leif

So, my new baby has arrived and I'll pick it up tomorrow - a real live Enfield Jungle Carbine! WOO-HOO!!!!!!! :D :D :D

I have a few quick questions for the jungle-ones amongst us, as follows:

1) What's your ammunition recommendations? I'm not set up to reload .303Brit as yet, so for the time it will be surplus and factory loaded. What's good, what's not? I recall hearing that Indian surplus was to be avoided, but don't know much beyond that.

2) Slings ... which is appropriate? Was a sling specific to the Jungle Carbine produced, or will any Enfield sling do?

3) I've taken to beating my shoulder with a meat tenderizer in preparation for the "perceived recoil" of this firearm. Is this effective, or would you recommend a different method? :D :D :D

Anyway, all input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Crosshair

If you want to you can as the guy's here http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm if they can do a custom job and make a 303 adapter in 30 carbine. Other than that, check ammoman and some other surplus sites. .303 is kinda spendy compared to other surplus and it uses an odd bore size so bullet selection is kind of limited. The 30 carbine adapter would not be the most accurate, but it would let you shoot it.

3o3brit

I bought a case of the Pakistani surplus 303 from Sportsman’s Guide several years ago and it has been fine; I have shot about 200 of the 700 round case up with no issues, accuracy has been fine for surplus - 2" or so at 100 yards. It also matches the settings on the rear sight, so you can dial in the elevation with some accuracy.

Death from Afar

There is nothing worng with the Indian surplus ammo- provided you pour at least a litre of boiling water down the barrel afterwards. If the water is hot enough it will heat up the barrel and evaporate it.

As I understand it the No 5's used the standard webbing sling. Mine has one in any rate.

They are gentle old bears of a gun. The kick isnt all that bad...he he he :D

Limeyfellow

Most pakistani surplus is awful.

The Greek surplus .303 British is probrobly the best. The South African is not too bad and theres some British surplus from the early 60s on the market.

Commercially you can find Remington and S&B fmjs for the cheapest prices. About $7-8 dollars a box of 20. SP is a tad more expensive. For That I quite like federal sp 180 grain but it costs a fair amount.

Leif

This feels like the "Ammo Olympics" ...

Greece: 2 points

India: 1/2 point

Pakistan: 1/2 point

South Africa: 1 point

United Kingdom: 2 points

Any other contenders?

They are gentle old bears of a gun.

That is too funny ... :)

Samuel2001

+1 on the greek stuff!

The PMC soft point stuff aint the cheapest, but it shoots pretty well outta mine and its a clean load too.

Also mine came from an old geeser that got it from a guy who brung it back from a hunting trip in Afrika in the mid 60's, and it came with a web sling thats kinda brown greenish in color. I'm guessing it's original.

jtb1967

I think the "awful recoil" of the jungle carbines is highly overrated. I've never found either of mine to kick any harder than most sporter 30-06's.

Leif

I think the "awful recoil" of the jungle carbines is highly overrated.

We shall soon see ... :D Myself, I don't mind a little recoil, a little "shock and awe" now and then.

While we're at it, is there a no-gunsmith, non-permanent forward 'scout' type mount available for the Jungle Carbine? I probably never will actually mount a scope to it, but it would be nice to know the option exists.

Thanks again, everybody!

Death from Afar

The best thing about the junglies are they are a hoot to shoot in dim light.

ROund these parts they are known as the "boom- shing" gun...after the "boom" your ears "shing" for an hour or so....