Judge vs Governor

'88Scrat

I'm sure it's been asked before 1000 times before but still curious, what is your opinion today in 2019? I want some fresh opinions.

I'm thinking about picking up a .410 revolver because why not? It would be strictly a range toy and kind of a novelty thing.

The from what I've read the Governor is the better revolver in terms of build quality and the ability to shoot .45 ACP does have its appeal and it holds one more round than the Judge but like I said I doubt I would ever load it with anything other than .410 shells.

I prefer the looks of the Judge Public Defender in Polymer. The FDE and black in particular looks awsome! I also feel a bit like for simply a novelty gun I don't really want to break the bank so the Judges $360 price tag vs the Governors $750 is a lot more appealing but I've heard several horror stories about QC on Judges. Seems like you get what you pay for.

Thoughts?

pete2

I would buy the S&W or save my money. You have a 50/50 chance of the Tauri working. More than likely the S&W will at least work altho S&W quality ain't what it used to be.

TruthTellers

I have the stainless Public Defender. I got it for same reasons you did in range fun, but I wanted stainless and not polymer for the weight to reduce recoil.

I don't see the point in the Governor, it's way too big in size to be useful for anything. The Public Defender, I feel, is the best size for a .410 revolver. The larger Judge with the 3" barrel and longer grip I don't think add much to the experience and doesn't improve shootability or anything.

These are short range weapons and the Public Defender works fine at short range.

I have mixed results with .410 when shooting buckshot. 3 pellet buck has a pleasant recoil while the 4 pellet Federal load is stiff, but not painful. I have not shot birdshot in it and slugs are expensive and lighter than .45 Colt, so I never shoot them.

Can't speak to .45 Colt accuracy in mine, haven't shot any yet. The throats on the Judge's (and I assume the Gov's) are HUGE and if you shoot lead it will lead the bore, so I suggest sticking with a jacketed bullet for .45 Colt or .45 ACP shooting.

Only issue I have with the PD is if I do a DA pull too rapidly the trigger will lock up and I have to cock the hammer for a single action to fix it. So long as you don't try to "machine gun" the trigger in DA, you're fine.

For the record, I don't think the S&W Governor is worth the money. It's not going to shoot .410 any more "accurately" than any of the Taurus revolvers.

Targa

Both put a big grin on my face at the range. The S&W is more refined in the way that a Winchester 92 rifle is more refined than a Rossi 92 rifle but in terms of build quality they both feel like they will be durable in my opinion.
I have no experience with the poly Judge, just not an option for me when steel versions are available.

Cheapshooter

I've had a Judge Public Defender Poly since they were first introduced. 100% trouble free, with the exception of one ammo related problem. Winchester Super-X 410 shells backed primers out, and caused the cylinder to lock up. No other brand of ammo, and even other Winchester offerings have done it. Maybe just a batch of hotter than normal Super-X.
Shooting the Federal Premium 000 Buckshot produces a consistant pattern @ 10 yards much more like a 3" group from a handgun round. #7 1/2 or 8 shot produces a pattern @ 10' tight enough to ruin the day od any poison slithering creature presenting a threat.
With 45 Colt, especially Winchester Supreme Defender PDX1 45 Colt 225gr bonded HP ammo, 10 yard accuracy is also quite good with groups tighter than the buckshot patterns.
I see no reason to spend twice the money for a name when the Judge does everything you would want this type of handgun to do.

AgedWarrior

Novelty guns! It is sort of amusing to see S&W stooping to challenge this minute corner of the market that Taurus had sort of claimed. How much do you want to spend for a few giggles at the range?

Cheapshooter

A carjacker at my window will not have anything to giggle about with 12 35 caliber (380 size) projectiles hitting him in the chest at 380 acp velocity or more with three quick pulls of the trigger. At a few feet probably 3 very large, deep, and profusely leaking holes.Then there are the two 225 gr 45 Colt slugs to back up the buckshot if needed.
Then there are the slithery critters than can produce a painful bite at least, and fatal in the worst case. My PD Poly is always easily accessable between the seat, and console of my truck (locked in a gun vault mounted in the console when unattended). Or at my side in the field looking for morrells in the Spring, and blackberries in the Summer.
Gimmickie "novelty" gun, no. Limited purpose, yes. Fun range blaster, always!

OneFreeTexan

Have a judge, that’s been factory reconditioned,,,shoots great,, I use it for various varmints that disturb her bird feeders.. works find!!

Prof Young

My HD gun is a public defender . . .

I figure in my circumstance a public defender is about all I need for an HD gun. Small rural town, live near police dept. No gang style home invasions will happen here. Only two incidents of gun play in the last 40 years and both of those were intentional on the part of the shooter going after a specific victim. So five shots of that specialty 410 hand gun ammo is really all I need. I take the gun to the range a couple times a year and usually the guy in the lane next to me wants to know what kind of hand cannon I'm shooting because the thing is so LOUD. I show it to them and offer to let them take a couple shots. Have never been turned down. I've probably only put 100 or so shots through it so far and have never had a problem. The poly construction seems a little . . . funky (what does that mean . . . right?) in that it's an odd combination of metal and plastic. But odd is in the eye of the beholder so . . .

Life is good.
Prof Young

The Old Salt

45 LC in a Judge. First time I fired mine it shot a 2" group at 20'. I'll take that out of any 3" barrel revolver. Reading about 3 pellet loads here. Gonna have to see who makes them. I'm loading reshaped 0000 buckshot into 444 Marlin cases w a shot wad to shoot in my Judge.

DockRock

Dumb and Dumber.

There is no reason to own a handgun that was originally designed to conform to Brazilian regulations then redesigned to conform to US regulations and that shoots neither shot nor bullet very well.

Cheapshooter

and that shoots neither shot nor bullet very well.
That's exactly why I have a Taurus Judge Public Defender Poly, and trust it as my truck gun. It shoots both 000Buckshot and 45 Colt very well. Tight pattern to 10 yards with the buckshot, tight groups at the same distance with 45 Colt. Plus a snake destroying density at 10' with #7 1/2 or#8 bird shot.
Would I choose it as my only handgun, no. But it fills the role I have put it into perfectly.
it's blatantly obvious the negative comments about the Judge are said by people with no real experience with one. Especially the comments about it being inaccurate.