Joining the Makarov Club!

Redlg155

Fellow shooters,

After much whining and pleading I convinced the wife that I really needed a Makarov. Well, actually I put the money down for it and pleaded for my life when the wife found the receipt:D But needless to say, It's a done deal!! I pick up my new baby payday!!:D

The new one is a 9x18 Bulgarian. I regret selling my previous Mak that I purchased in 94. This one was a brushed stainlesss Russian model with adjustable sights in .380 Auto. Although pretty, the accuracy and reliability sucked and we parted ways soon after. I refuse to keep an unreliable pistol.

Anyway, this one is a plain Jane blued pistol. My question is this....

I saw somewhere that someone mentioned getting aftermarket sights such as the Novak type low profile mounted on a Mak. Does anyone have an Email addy where I can look up a price and a sample of the work?

Good Shooting
RED

scoops

i just paint a speck of green or bright orange on my mak sites.
i too have been busted by the old ball n chain.right now i have a 4 inch .357 speed six at a freinds house.im trying to figure out how to get her home.id rather take the ass whoopin and buy the gun i want when i want it.

Ding

http://www.makarov.com/ has all the information you can ever want on the gun.

Congratulations, BTW. The Mak was my first handgun and I just love it. I've only put 500 rounds through it, but from the first shot to the last it was dead-on reliable and accurate. Not a single malfuction yet.
Enjoy.

denfoote

Novak sights for Makarov

Beast Enterprises http://www.beast-enterprises.com will install Novak sights on your Makarov for $145. Now, I don't know about you, but that is just about what I paid for the whole pistol in the first place. I think I'll pass. Anyway, good choice in guns. I'm afraid you're hooked like the rest of us. I have five of the little darlings with my latest addition aquired yesterday. A Norinco Type 59. :) There is nothing wrong with the stock sights on the Makarov. I can shoot 3in groups at 25yds with my Mak, and that's with bifocals!!!!

INDIAN BOB

Mak sights

i have heard , not sure ; but heard that novak sights that go on colt 380 gov't model can be fitted to the Mak slide. would like in-put before I spend the money. "love my Mak"

I sent my Bulgarian Makarov to BEAST enterprises for his whole package including the Novak sights. You can see what it looks like on his web page. Word of warning. He has had my gun for something like 3-4 months now with no word back so don't get in a hurry for anything. I have a gun at MMC right now getting a set of adjustable night sights. The woman told me on the phone that they have done a number of Makarovs there also. I never saw what the price of the gun had to do with tricking it out. Do you stop shooting it when you have spent as much in ammo as the gun cost ? As I told a friend when he brought this up; Why would I spend money fixing up a gun I paid $500+ dollars for ? It had better be right to begin with.

Redlg155

Yikes..

I think 145 bucks is a bit pricey for a sight job.

I think I'll try to see if a local gunsmith can dovetail my slide for a bit less and I'll install my own sights on it. That should save me at least $50.00

I'll put a post in the Gunsmithing section to see what the average cost to get a slide dovetailed and if anyone there has any experience with Maks.

Good Shooting
RED

7th Fleet

Welcome back to the Mak owners club. I own three of them, two East Germans and a Russian high cap .380 and all of mine are keepers.

If I can slip a new gun into the sanctuary of my gun vault, then I'm home free. I have so many handguns that my wife can't tell an oldie from a brand new one. ;)

7th

Redlg155
$145 does sound fairly high, but remember that the price usually includes the cost of the sight itself which of course varies all over the board. I had a Novak sight installed on my Colt Mustang, this is the same sight that I am having installed on my Mak. This sight requires more than simply dovetailing the slide. Basically the top of the slide is removed from the front of the dovetail back. This whole sight body sits down in the slide, this isn't something that I would attempt myself, but then I am not all that handy with tools. I am having a set of sights installed on a Browning Hi-Power right now. The sights are MMC adjustable night sights. The front sight simply fits in the factory dovetail. The rear sight dovetail has to be opened up to accept the new sight. The cost of the sight, I don't remember exactly but I am thinking it was like either $60 or $90. The installation was $50. Just to give you some ideas.