Joined the CZ club

HilfigerCelica

Some of you may remember me from my thread "Disappointed in the Glock 19" asking about various semi-auto's to find the perfect CCW for *me*. So I've been shooting a lot lately and have shot a gun from just about every major manufacturer. Luckily the local range has a large selection plus I would ask people if I could shoot their gun at the range if I bought the bullets. I would usually shoot half the box and give them the other half as a thank you for using their gun. After a while I developed a preference for certain guns designs and a dislike for others.

I never understood why all the guys that worked at the range would carry 1911s when a Glock when hold more rounds and was lighter, that is until I shot one. I've never shot a gun that was more right for *me*. I love the grip angle and the trigger. I got to shoot a Springfield 1911 with a custom trigger. My perfect carry gun would be a Springfield 1911 EMP if money wasn't an issue. Someday I'll add a .45 full size 1911 and a 9mm mini 1911 to my collection.

I got a chance to put a box of ammo through a Kahr P9. I was worried about reliability issues with this gun. So I told the range master about this and he said that he had put 5,000 rds through it and it has never jammed on him. He loved that gun so much that he was going to give it to his daughter. He gave me the holster to the gun to wear and with the gun in the holster, it just disappeared. The gun is so light and thin that you never notice that it's there. I wasn't crazy with the trigger since the pull was a little long for me but it was something I could get used to.

I was still a Glock fan and really wanted to get a 19. So I went back two more time to the range and both time I felt that the Springfield XD felt more right for *me*. I tried to convince myself that the Glock was a better gun but in the end I decided that I should get what my gut told me to get. I still have a great respect for Glocks and will probably get one someday.

At the gun store I was all set to get a SA XDsc, I noticed a CZ P01. I had held this gun before and really like how it felt in my hands. So next to it was a CZ Rami. So I compared the Rami next the the XD and the Rami won me over b/c it was less thick than the XD. The grip on the Rami only allowed half of my pinky to grab it but I'm sure with the 14 rd mag that I could get all of my fingers on the grip. There's also a modification you could do with the XD extention that'll work with the RAMI magazine. They only had the .40SW in stock so they had to order me a 9mm. I paid $589 after tax for it. I'm sure I paid a little too much. It should be here Tues. so I'll let you guys know how it shoots.

What I've learned is that there is no perfect gun. Every gun has pros and cons to it. But that's what gun collections are for;).

On a side note, I've noticed that gun prices have gone up. I bought a Walther P22 for $274 after tax and now it's up to $319. And that was only 3 months ago:eek:. Last time I looked at the Sig P239, it was $570 after tax and now it's up to $700.

JWT

Congrats on the new CZ. You'll love it. I've had my PCR (same as the PO1 except no accessory rail) for a couple months and it's become my favorite 9mm.

plom

Congrats! the RAMI 9mm is a great shooter and you can use full size CZ75 in it as back up mag!

hamster

is it just me or when you see PCR do you think polymerase chain reaction? anyways, i think my next gun will be a CZ. i just got my 2nd quarter bonus and what better to spend it on than a new gun? i like the idea of asking people to shoot their gun if you buy the ammo and let them have half. hopefully i run into someone with a CZ tomorrow.

armoredman

goldstandard.jpg

HilfigerCelica

Gun store called and said it arrived early so I ran up there and picked up my Rami. Went to the range right afterwards and was surprised how accurate this little thing was. I went through a box of WWB without a problem but she stovepiped once on a box of commercial reloads. I think it may have been the ammo but I'm going to polish the feed ramp.

I thought I had a grip on it but when I shot it my pinky was always needing a place to grab. They gave me two 10 rd magazine so I'll call CZ Monday and ask for a 14 rd magazine. I'll also get the Pearce extension for the XD and put that on the 10 rd magazine.

If I have the slide back, the slide stop will not allow the slide to move forward unless I pulled the slide back slightly to release tension off of the slide stop. I can't just press down the slide stop and make the slide move forward automatically like I do on Walthers, Glocks, etc. Is this something unique to CZs or is my gun just new?

Willie D

I've read that before although I the one CZ75 I've ued didn't seem to have that "feature". I don't like that or the lack of drop free mags although I suspect both could be remedied. Try www.czforums.com

atblis

Yes and no

It's not the magazines. They have what's called mag brake. It is a piece of sheet metal in the back of the frame that guides the magazines in (it is necessary).

There are two different mag brakes
1 Regular one that is bent into the mag well, and drags on the magazine preventing it from dropping free. This is intentional.
2 Drop free one that is very similar to the regular one but is completely flat. It does not drag on the magazines, thus they can drop free.

Some CZ pistols come with the drop free brake, some with the regular. I think the SP01 and the SA come with the drop free.

You can convert a regular into a drop free by bending it flat.

You can order a drop free brake from CZUSA (I've heard they'll send you one free if it is a new gun).

It is not a good idea to remove it altogether as it prevents the magazines from hitting the back of the frame. In theory, during a vigorous reload, it would be possible to damage the magazine. I suspect CZUSA might adjust to the demands of American shooters, and begin shipping all pistols with the drop free brake.

Is this something unique to CZs or is my gun just new?
I would suspect it is because your gun is new (the slide release works the same on a CZ as the others). It should slick up quite a bit as you shoot it. If you still find it too difficult, I believe you can get an extended slide release, which would give you more leverage. I personally have trouble with the slide release on SIGs.

LUPUS

Dear Celica,
DO NOT POLISH THE FEED RAMP!
The feed ramp of barrels of CZs have a dull mat finish due to the extra heat treatment to enhance durability. Polishing this area may be harmfull to the heat treated surface. Instead of altering any part of oyur pistol, try all kinds of ammo you supposed to use for carry, and choose the most reliable and efficent one to load. Just for plain range fun and exercise, you may even use standard cheap FMJ ammo.
As for the slide stop, it will loosen as time goes by, as Atblis stated.
Best.

LUPUS

MBOTT,
Maybe I am wrong about my comment about the possible damage of polishing job to the heat treatment. I have heard this subject from three different resources, but the only written source I can offer to you is an article published in GUNWEEK magazine. If you check out www.gunweek.com,2006 featured articles, you will find the article '' Durable All-Steel CZ75B:One Man's Favorite Pistol '' by Jim Williamson. He especially made a specific paragraph to make his warning about this subject.
Best.

atblis

Well

Personally, I'd shoot it a bit more before doing ANY modifications.

All my CZ have had shiny feedramps. Now the outside of the barrel is a matte finish due to hardening (different from in the past). That may be what the article was referring to. I prefer my guns to not be shiny so... Others on Czforum.com have polished their barrels. I am little leary of that myself, but there have been no reported problems.

BTW, polishing means polishing. 1000 grit sandpaper, flitz, felt wheels. No grinding or removal of metal.

mbott

LUPUS,

In the CZ Forum Home Gunsmithing Board, there is a thread on Barrel Polishing that has the following statement in it, reported made by CZ-USA.

It reads "The condition you describe is present on all of our current Czech pistols. After years of complaints that the barrels were rusting in humid climates in the white or polished state, as originaly designed. All pistol barrels are given a nitrate surface hardening treatment to not only prevent corrosion but promote wear resistance qualities. The resulting finish is kind of a dark grey color. It is an unfortunate side effect, that this finish shows the normal wear pattern on the barrel, much more than when left in the original polished state. Since all 75 pistols are pre broken-in, in a machine that puts the finished pistol through 20,000 cycles, after final assembly. These wear marks are present on all 75's, but only visible on the nitrate finsihed barrels. This treatment can be polished off of the barrel but its not recomended."

As Atblis says, "BTW, polishing means polishing. 1000 grit sandpaper, flitz, felt wheels. No grinding or removal of metal."

--
Mike

LUPUS

Thanks for the input Mbott.
So, I would have followed another way told by Atblis before doing any kind of modification to my NIB pistol, which is also not recommended by the manufacturer, shoot it a bit more to see any possible improvement in functioning.
Best.

mbott

As one who own "several" CZs, I've made very few modifications to my pistols. Any time I do make a modification to a CZ pistol, it's always one that is totally reversible.

I tend to shoot them just as they came in the box.

--
Mike