John Woo Movies

Kodiac

I have long been a fan of John Woo movies - going back to the first one I saw... "The Killer" staring Chow Fat.
Last night I finally saw one that I have been wanting to see for some time - but could not find it. "Hard Boiled" also staring Chow Fat. This movie was incredible.
There was one gun battle scene that lasted over five minutes... shot nonstop - no cuts, no second cameras, no edits... one take, done. The camera followed the actors as they cleared a series of hallways... shooting all kinds of pop up bad guys. It was very cool. The whole movie was just unreal... you got tired just watching it. Some of the most intense gun battles on film.

John Woo's films have record setting action scenes... I think 90% of his budget was used on squibs and blanks. But they are also deeply charicter driven. All his movies come to a point when the bad guy and good guy face eachother muzzle to muzzle... Signature Woo scene that other directors try to do - but dont get it quite right.
This movie was a real treat... unlike all the die hards and deadly weapon flicks we make in the states... Like drinking a Dr. Pepper when youv'e only been drinking Mt. Dew.
Bad analogy - but good movie.

David

I agree!

Also, I think the ONLY time I ever saw anywhere on film an MP5K in it's proper factory briefcase was in one of his movies.

Rob Pincus

During his hong koing years, Woo used (almost exclusively) a private collection of firearms from the U.K., now when I watch those great movies (on DVD , no less, thanks to The Criterion Collection, I can't help but think that those weapons most of those weapons have by now been taken by the goverment of the UK, or the owner has had to sell them.
Kinda sucks.

BUT, how about that scene at the end of the tea house shoot out, when Chow slides down the bannister?? Awesome.

And, coolest gun move ever might be when Chow kicks over the ard table at the beginning of The Killer.

great movies..

4V50

Retired Screen Name
Hong Kong flicks are known for high body counts, whether its Kung Fu, knives, daggers, sticks, chairs, ladders or guns. John Woo has some of the most innovative stunts I've seen on film. Gee, I wonder if there's anybody left alive in Hong Kong after all that killing?

Kodiac

Just watched "A Better Tomarow".
This is a cool movie and not like other Woo action movies...
Chow Yun Fat is not the polished hitman like his usual role - inthis heis kinda a loser-oaf guy, but it turns out he's just good enough...

An action movie with a REAL STORY LINE! That makes it worth seeing.

Rob Pincus

Kod, can you find me a copy of "A bullet in the Head" it is supposed to be Apocalypse Now and Platoon rolled together BUT from the ASIAN point of view.

Kodiac

"A Bullet in the Head" is the one to get. I lucked out finding ABT.

I will give a full report if I can find "A Bullet in the Head."

Rob Pincus

Anyone seen "The Big Hit" ??

---Well I posted that question earlier this evening before I hit the PPV button.

This is not a John Woo Film like any other that I have seen. Pretty disappointing at first, then I started watching it as a dark comedy instead of an action drama.

It was like Grosse Point Blank with John Woo action sequences, gratuitous foul language and a rap soundtrack, but without the infamous cocking Glock.
Lots of BGs flying ten feet through the air after being shot with Berettas and one breakdancing-while-he's-shooting hit man hero.

It just hasn't been my day.

Don't rush out for this one unless you need a chuckle.

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 12-10-98).]

Kodiac

Along with John Woo movies...
I have to admit I like Jackie Chan movies.
Police Story is a pretty good drama. Shows how you can do a lot with just a snubbie...
But the other night, on cable one movie was shown that I hadn't seen before "The Protector" One of Chans first to be filmed here in the states.
I was so disapointed, I could only stand to watch 10 minute before I had to change the channel. TLC had a show about Craig Breedlove and his Jet car trying to break the speed of sound... much more interesting.

Still Looking for Bullet in the Head...

------------------
Kodiac
Kenetic Defense Institute
kodiac@hotbot.com

chink

The Big Hit isn't really a John Woo. I was the executive producer, not the director. that means that he just looked at the film and said "ok I'll put some money into it." So please don't consider it a John Woo. They marketed it with John Woo's name knowing that would get people out. Plus theres that cute asian chick in it. I dig asain chicks. I think its cuz i'm chinese

Kodiac

I guess I have not seen it because I have a hard time seeing Marky Mark as a gunslinger.
And from whet people have said about the film...
I dont seen a reason to rent it...
I would rather rerent Replacement Killers

Say that 10 times fast.

------------------
Kodiac
Kenetic Defense Institute
kodiac@hotbot.com

Jffal

I have seen Woo's Bullet in the Head and enjoyed it as much as you can any two hour plus emotionally wrenching piece about the death of friendship. Riot torn thug infested Hong Kong and the Vietnam War provided the grim backdrop for much of the film.

Woo isn't looking to show 100% accurate weapon handling. His background includes a life of poverty and close proximity to violence, religion, and an early film career including the odd martial art movie, Peking Opera flicks, etc. So, firearms replace traditional martial art weapons, to be brandished and shot with flourish (and note how explosive the bullet hits are, especially on inanimate objects - these pyrotechnics only contribute to the impact and spectacle of the overall choreography). To be fair, Woo has given his characters guns that empty out at inappropriate times and plenty of missess (do you think that Woo protagonists reload when no one is looking?).

Of interest to this forum, Woo has done Heroes shed No tears (gritty mercenary movie with outrageous weapon usage, out on domestic video), A Better Tomorrow (out domestically but dubbed), A Better Tomorrow II (my first such viewing experience of this stuff, can be blamed for making me an addict - wow!!!! - not out domestically), Just Heroes (not out domestically - codirected ), The Killer (out domestically), Once a Thief (not out domestically, inspired a tv movie and series), Bullet in the Head (not out domestically - Woo's own favorite), Hard Boiled (out domestically) and his American stuff that began with Hard Target. Some larger videostores like Tower, the vid section of some upscale bookshops, etc - may stock Woo videos that are not out domestically. Chinatown videoshops also have them.

The elegant and brutal Hong Kong police noir, The Big Heat (not to be confused with a Fritz Lang noir of the same name or The Big Hit, directed by the usually talented Kirk Wong - at least China Chow was wonderful - why ain't she in more movies?), comes highly recommended for a degree of realism in its violence. Excellant flick. Also, The Final Option and its sequel/prequel First Option follow the exploits of the Hong Kong SDU special weapons team, including obligatory brutal training, realistic toned down action, slicing pies, tactics, body armor, big flashlights to the noggin, HKs all over the place, breaching shotguns, etc. I want someone with hostage rescue and other background to check them out for accuracy.

I should mention Michelle (if you saw Tomorrow Never Dies, you will want to know about her!) Yeoh and the whole "pretty butt kicking woman with a gun" thing that was big in Hong Kong cinema for awhile.
Jeff

[This message has been edited by Jffal (edited March 05, 1999).]

Rob Pincus

Jffal,

Tha company Media Asiais now making most of Woo's work available on DVD. I've got ABT I, ABT II, Hard Boiled and The Killer over the last 8 months or so.

They also have the following available:

ABT III
Once a Thief
Bullet In The Head

I ordered a VHS copy of "Bullet" from Suncoast Video and it came in within a week. It is put out by "Tai Seng Video Marketing.

I get the DVDs at Media play, on the shelf or special order, but be ready.. They run close to $50 each.... reminds me of the LaserDisc days.

Jffal

Tai Seng is also doing dubbed and resubbed versions of Hong Kong films including those from Woo, Jackie Chan, Sammo (Martial Law) Hung, Michelle Yeoh and other titles.

There are at least two versions of Bullet in the Head out there. Mine is longer with an ending that occurs in the grimey streets of Hong Kong. The shorter version ends in a corporate office.

Please let me know which version you have, Rob!
Jeff

Rob Pincus

I have the one that ends in the street scene after the office scene. (though I thought it more like a large open warehouse or parking garage.. eitherway, the scene after the car chase.)

-Rob

Q

I've loved Woo movies ever since I first saw "Bullet in the Head" years and years ago. If you've never seen "Once a Thief", you owe it to yourself. Woo doing comedy is a great trip!

The thing that always impressed me was his visual composition and use of color... from a visual artist's point of view, Woo's work is absolutely stunning!

Personally, I prefer "Better Tomorrow pt II" to the original... call me weird.

=Q=

------------------
"Oh, grow up, 007."

Jffal

Rob - congrats. You have what I believe is the complete version of Bullet in the Head. The shorter version ends with a couple well placed rounds in the office but after all the chaos that preceded it, such a climax would have been anticlimatic.

My personal goddess, Fennie Yuen Kit-ying, is in Bullet. She plays the newlywed wife one guy leaves behind in Hong Kong and revisits near the end. Fennie has been in a few films some Firingline members might see including Tai Chi Master with Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh.

Hey Q, I second your opinion of A Better Tomorrow II. First time I saw it was on a mediocre quality duped cassette with exceptionally ratty double subtitles (Chinese over English - Hong Kong movie English subs are a hit or miss affair - sometimes illedgible, microscopic, cut off by the screen bottom and sides and usually full of jaw dropping dialogue!).
Don't mind subs and have watched movies in other languages I don't understand that had no subs but I was still new in them days to Hong Kong's version of English print on movies. Watched A Better Tomorrow II twice that night! I have different versions of ABT II now, including an Eng dubbed print with Greek subtitles!!!!

I mentioned butt kicking Asian actressess. There are a number of worthy movies to see. The dynamics of a action film change when a gentle looking, petite woman is permitted to take on violent opposition instead of a hulking guy.

The Hong Kong/Taiwanese Angel trilogy comes to mine. Imagine Charlie's Angels mixed with James Bond into something more explicit and bloodthirsty than its western hemisphere inspiration, full of martial arts, foot and vehicular chases, weapons (firearms, explosives, Bondian gadgets, martial art gear such knives and nunchuku, etc). The ballerina like Moon Lee and cute flirtatious Elaine Lui pop up in the original (Elaine wasn't in the third). They are part of a covert crime smashing agency in Asia. In one scene, Elaine buttstrokes her way through a couple of thugs during a houseraid with a M-16. An armed grenade falls from one BG's hands. Elaine grabs the guy by the head and slams his body atop the pineapple. She leaps toward a door as it blows the thug to chunks with just enough force to hurl her out of the room!
Jeff

Rob Pincus

I think The Killer has one of the best soundtracks ever. I even hooked up my minidisc to the DVD to record a couple of tunes. Very cool.

I'll have to watch ABT II again. I saw it for the first time the other night, but I had a lot on my mind and was messing online while watching. I thought it was pretty hoaky to have Chow come back as his other characters twin brother... AND WHAT was the deal with the old guy who drew pictures of all the characters? I still havn't figured that out.