John Masen 10-rounders for the Mini-14

longeyes

Has anyone used the "new & improved" 10-round magazines for the Mini-14 from John Masen? Assessment? They were unavailable for a while; now they're back, I'm told.

saands

I have two ... and Claudia at JohnMasen said that these are the new ones. I, unfortunately won't have time to test them for a couple of weeks ... :(

Saands

USGuns

I got the same info from Claudia also and so I now have 2 enroute ... I'll post here how it goes when I get a chance to get to the range.

DCV

i just bought two, but dont have the mini to test them in, but, one will load fine and cartridges unload fine, the other, loads hard after five rds, get ten in and the front of the cartridge gets stuck in the mag. you end up having your cartridges pointing downwards. same problem i had with the old ones i bought. makes you wonder what they did.

i am assuming that bad mag would still feed in it was in a rifle

Koolau 2

I tested six of the new JM 10 rounders Friday morning at the local range. I used my 196 series SS ranch rifle for the test. Only had time to put 20 rounds of Black Hills 55gr FMJ through each, but the mags loaded and fed fine.

My only complaint is that, unlike a Ruger mag, JMs will not drop free when released. They fit so snuggly that postive action is required to remove the mag. A couple were also hard to insert the first couple of times, but they do seem to loosen up a bit with use.

Would be nice if Ruger would make some 10 rounders, especially for us in the PRK, but, until that unlikely event, the JMs will do nicely.

BTW I do believe all the mags now at the John Mason website are "new and improved".