JHP rounds...how many and what brand?

cheddar

The title says it. 1800 rounds(FMJ) through the Taurus without one single hickup. I am looking to start shooting some hollow points to make sure it fits the bill for home defense. I was wondering how many rounds you guys go through before you settle on any particular brand and weight. Also, what has everyone found to work the best for said purpose? Thanks for any input!

T. O'Heir

If you insist on shooting factory ammo, go buy a box of as many brands and bullet weights as you can to find the one or two that shoot the most accurately out of your pistol. Gets expensive, I know, but you need to be using the most accurate ammo for your pistol you can no matter what type of bullet.
Some won't feed well, some won't be accurate, but it's the only way to find the best ammo your pistol will shoot well and cycle the action reliably.

I check my ammo progressively. If I get 100 through with no problems I go to 200. Generally, if you have no issues between 200-500 rounds you are good to go.

For the .40 S&W there are not too many bad loads out there. I recommend going with a middle weight load for personal defense (155 grains-165 grains). Speers 155 grain load and Remingtons 165 grain Golden Saber are both very good loads. I use Speer in in every defense gun I have besides my J-frame .38. The GDHP is a very consistent, durable bullet. CorBon DPX is also very good but pricey. If you want to go with the heavier 180 grain bullet check out Federal's 180 grain Hydra-shok or the Winchester 180 grain Ranger T.

RsqVet

Most will say 200 minimum, then I shoot a box at each range session which is 2x per month on a good month. This rotates the ammo and keeps my faith in function of the weapon / ammo.

When I carried a 40 I used Hornady TAP 180 that was very accurte.

Nanuk

When my Agency chose the H&K's they fired 10,000 rounds with no failures of any kind. The ammo was federal 155 JHP.

Big Calhoun

+1 on the Hornady TAPs in .40/180gr. Alternative is Federal HydraShocks in 185gr.

For my .45, I'm switching back and forth between Hornady and Federal, 200gr. I've also been shooting 185gr +P Federals. I'm not sure which I like better but am happy with all and keep all around.

On average, each gun of mine has about 700 rounds of JHP run through them with no problems whatsoever. I've read a lot about Double Tap ammo and want to give them a try.

cheygriz

One of the very best loads I've found for the .40 is the Winchester 155 STHP. The other is the Federal 155 Hi-Shock (NOT the Hydra-Shok)

Good velocity, good accuracy, and good reliability.

I also like the 165 Remington Golden Sabre, but 165 is starting to get a little on the heavy side for the .40, IMHO. Velocity starts to suffer.

T. O'Heir

"...instead of reloads?..." Handloads will always be better. However, I was guessing you're not reloading. No two firearms will shoot the same ammo the same way. Not all factory ammo will shoot well in your Taurus, so you'll have to find the brand your's likes.

cheddar

Handloads will always be better. However, I was guessing you're not reloading. No two firearms will shoot the same ammo the same way. Not all factory ammo will shoot well in your Taurus, so you'll have to find the brand your's likes.

I have wanted to get into reloading but just dont have the patience, time or money right now. I will one day, then I will make the good stuff on my own. Thanks to all for all the replies. I dont think I have to or want to shoot +p loads. Arent these hard on guns?

Mark54g

Get a few of the "upper level" JHPs like Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, CorBon DPX, Remington Golden Sabre, etc

Pick any 2 or more and buy at least 2 or 3 boxes of each to blast through. Then if there are 0 failures of any kind with any magazines you own, and they pattern well, keep them.