Jews for our Constitutional Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

larvatus

In reference to recent cavils on this forum concerning Jewish gun banners, I take this opportunity to revel in the contributions of my tribesmen:
  • Robert A. Levy, who created the Heller case and paid for it out of his pocket;
  • Laurence H. Silberman, recent recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom, who affirmed the Heller ruling in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia; and
  • Alan Gura, who successfully argued the case before the Supreme Court.
An honorable mention goes to Alex Kozinski dissenting in Silveira v. Lockyer: "The prospect of tyranny may not grab the headlines the way vivid stories of gun crime routinely do. But few saw the Third Reich coming until it was too late. The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Glenn E. Meyer

Because there are many issues with the GOP agenda independent of gun rights.

As I always say in this kind of conversation - folks assume that one MUST vote for a party that supports gun rights because usually that party or candidate also supports their social conservative views. The issues can be divided and some issues other than guns can have more importance.

When folks say the 2nd is most important is is because this belief is not challenged by candidates who are progun but with social views that are antithetical.

FireMax

The issues can be divided and some issues other than guns can have more importance.

Disagree strongly. Without the right to bear arms, you can kiss your other freedoms goodbye in due time.

Webleymkv

I find the "Liberal Jew" stereotype to be quite odd as most of the Jewish people I've ever met and gotten to know very well were at least moderately, if not extremely, conservative. I guess that just goes to show how useless stereotypes are huh.

FireMax

I find the "Liberal Jew" stereotype to be quite odd as most of the Jewish people I've ever met and gotten to know very well were at least moderately, if not extremely, conservative. I guess that just goes to show how useless stereotypes are huh.

Yeah, stereotypes have little usefulness. Statistics on the otherhand, tell a different tale.

Percentage of Jewish Vote

1984 Mondale : 67%
1988 Dukakis: 64%
1992 Clinton: 80%
1996 Clinton: 78%
2000 Gore: 79%
2004 Kerry: 76%

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/US-Israel/jewvote.html

Status
Not open for further replies.