Jetfire, Tomcat questions?

CZ_

One of my friends has a Beretta 950 (aka Jetfire), and after looking it over it seems like a good quality pocket pistol. I've always wanted a small pocket pistol (they're so damn cute)...simply to have in my collection and to plink with (please no lectures on stopping power--this won't be my defense gun--I've got several pistols in 9mm and up).

I have not had the chance to handle a Tomcat (.32 ACP) yet--but from what I've been told its not as nicely made as the Jetfire (ie esp the trigger pull).

Anyway, I'm looking to add maybe one of these two pistols to my collection, but I do have a couple questions.

Are these "throw-away" guns? In other words, I'm concerned about the small alluminum frame....I've heard of durability problems (especially) with the Tomcat. I don't want to purchase a pistol that is only good for a few hundred rounds. I'd appreciate owners of either of these models to comment on their pistols durability. I've also heard things of the Tomcat having firing pin breakage problems...is this true?

Any other comments are also appreciated, such as (trigger pull, reliability, etc)

BTW, I'm in the Granola State so most of the other pocket pistol models are illegal here (ie not on the safe list).

Kermit

I am a recent purchaser of the Jetfire inox. I've only put 150 rounds through it, but I'm very happy w/ it. Actually, 150 fmj's and 9 jhp's. NO problems of any kind ;) When I bought it, I dry fired the Tomcat & the Jetfire. Just preferred the way the Jetfire felt vs. the Tomcat.
Good luck!

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Tomcat and Jetfire...

...are two peas in a pod, quality-wise.

The Jetfire is smaller, and is a single-action design, hence the lighter initial trigger pull. However, the hammer must be cocked before firing.

The Tomcat has a conventional DA/SA action, with a harder trigger pull for the first shot.

Incidentally, unlike most modern firearms, neither is particularly amenable to dry-firing without snap-caps; they are known for busting firing pins when that is done.

A size comparison:

popguns.jpg

The 3032 Tomcat and 950BS Jetfire are on the bottom row, left and right, beneath a Glock 33 and a Taurus 731UL.

Pappy John

I owned a Tomcat for 2 years and can offer a few observations. I think the firing pin is fine as long as you NEVER dry fire the gun....not even once. Very comfortable in the hand and easily fit any pocket. Shot to point of aim. Very dependable with FMJ or Sivertip hollowpoints...other hollowpoints caused feed problems. Harsh trigger pull couldn't be fixed. (At least by my favorite local smith) The .32 acp's bounced off a 55 gallon drum. I shot some Fiocci (read "hot") .32 hollowpoints through it and afterwards noticed a small crack in the bolt face. Traded it in on a PPK .380 before the crack got bigger.

Drakejake

I have the Tomcat but not the Jetfire. I think the Kel-Tec P32 made the Tomcat obsolete. The K-T weighs half as much, is thinner, and holds the same number of .32 rounds. I believe the Tomcat is the smallest double/single action auto made today. It has been plagued with durability problems, mostly cracked slides, I believe. Apparently in response, Beretta beefed up the slide and now makes titanium models. I have fired this thing very few times and have had no breakages.

I wouldn't buy a Tomcat again. This was the only handgun I ever bought without doing research beforehand. I had a Ruger on order and needed a gun immediately to use in my handgun safety class. the Ruger dealer suggested I get the tomcat.

Recoil from the Tomcat is stiff and stronger than from the Kel-Tec. But I like the Tomcat's more grippable grip and pop-up barrel. If the Kel-Tec didn't exist, the Tomcat would be more appealing. The .32 is an auto round, whereas the 22lr was developed for rifles, as everyone knows. So the .32 may have fewer jamming problems than a 22lr in an auto.The .32 round, like all center fire rounds, is much more expensive than 22lr, which is so cheap I consider it free.

Drakejake

CZ_

^The Kel Tec P32 is NOT on the approved handgun list in CA.

Its basically between the Jetfire and Tomcat.

I managed to buy a NAA mini revolver before the whole safety list started, and I love that little gun. Its well made and has been durable for me. I just wish that the current CA approved handgun list had more pocket pistols in it. :(

bad_dad_brad

The Tomcat has questionable longevity. The P32 has not proven it self. The Jetfire, although it shoots the anemic .25 cal., is totally realiable. The Jetfire is the perfect mouse gun. High capacity. High reliability. Accurate, but you really have to shoot up close for the eyes. Forget the torso. Sure the .25 will kill in that area, but it takes a long time unless you hit a nerve.

I can't say enough about my Jetfire. I have a P32, but, in lieu of a little 9mm like an MK9, I would rather carry a Jetfire. I can rely on it. Carry it cocked and locked, and you will have enough shots. If the BG is docile, just sting him in the leg. If the BG is berserk, shoot him in the eyes, head, or neck. It really is a great little gun.

Al205

I have never shot the Tomcat but have used a Jetfire 25
many Times . IMO it's a great little gun . Worlds better
than AMT or any crapp guns that cost as much . I also
like that the Jetfire is Single Action and it can be fired very fast .
I believe the Tomcat is D/A .

CZ_

Jetfire...

The Jetfire only comes with 1 magazine, right?

Are extra magazines easy to come by for the Jetfire?

BogBabe

I have a Tomcat. After a few hundred rounds, the frame cracked in three places!

Beretta graciously replaced it, with the newer Inox version Tomcat. I only recently received my replacement. So far I've only put about 200-300 rounds through it, so I don't know yet whether this one will hold up any better.

I really like it, but if I had it to do over again I wouldn't buy one.

Ragin Cajun

I have both the P-32 and the Tomcat. Want to buy the Tomcat? It's only good for a door stop! :mad: Been through the cracks, etc. By the way, the instructions say NOT to use "hot" ammo, so the thing is useless.

If you can't get a P-32, use a revolver.

Coronach

Tomcat AKA 'Jamcat'

The Tomcat used to be on my PD's approved off-duty/backup weapons list. Please note that it is no longer approved. It was removed due to the number of failures (of every stripe) observed by ordnance staff during qualifications.

Mike

Rovert

CZ, I've been thinking about a very small 'mouse gun' for myself, and was considering the Tomcat. But now that the Kahr MK9 is out there, I think that's the way I'm going to go.

Tamara, I know you have the two Berettas, and many others. Do you also have a Kahr MK9 in your collection, and if so, how does it compare to other small, highly concealable, guns? What is your opinion of its reliability and quality?

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Hmmm...

My Tomcat is an early blued one and has functioned fine well past the "projected 1000 round lifespan" that the knowledgable pistol gurus on the web told me it would.

That being said:

Early Tomcats were prone to frame cracks and busted firing pins. They specifically caution you not to use hotter ammo (S&B and Fiocci both fall into this category).

If you get a Tomcat, make sure it is a newer "widebody" gun. These have heavier slides to retard slide velocity and reduce frame battering.

Now, here's the shocker:

I love these blanket condemnations over frame cracks.

Guess what? It will happen eventually to any small alloy framed blowback pistol firing a more powerful caliber than .25 or .22 LR. These things are not designed to military sidearm levels of durability.

I know of a half-dozen SIG P-230's that cracked their frames rather spectacularly at somewhere between 3,000 and 5,000 rounds. They were sent back to SIG and replaced with no fuss. Figure similar experiences with Tomcats and, in all probability, P-32's as well. These pistols sacrifice a lot to be small and light. I figure my Tomcat, at circa 1500ish rounds is halfway through its lifespan. If it lasts 3000, I'll be well pleased. If it makes it past 5k, I'll be ecstatic. Likewise if it was a P-32 or P-230; I take a gun's nature into account when I form my judgements of what I expect from it.

These guns are not designed to be recreational plinkers. If you want something for shooting tin cans with, buy a Ruger Mk II. If you want a gun that you can run over with a truck, buy a Glock or a USP. If you want a small, lightweight pistol that can be slipped discreetly into a pocket, buy a mousegun, but don't expect it to be what it's not.

CZ_

Kahr MK9

Do you also have a Kahr MK9 in your collection, and if so, how does it compare to other small, highly concealable, guns? What is your opinion of its reliability and quality?

I've never shot an MK9, but I went to the website and am very impressed. Its so small, yet appears to be very high quality. Would a MK9 owner (s) kindly give me their opinion (regarding durability, quality, reliability, accuracy, etc)?

Gunner's mate

Kahr Mk9

CZ,

I have owned both Berettas and currently own the Kahr. My philosophy is simple..big caliber, big gun. Small caliber, small gun. Forget the Tomcat. The reliability and atrocious trigger pull are serious issues for this gun. The Jetfire is a great pistol. Small caliber, small gun.

The Kahr is in a different ballpark. Though the gun is dimensionally small, it is heavy to carry. But the weight helps make the gun such a joy to shoot. Mine has been totally reliable and trouble free, so far. There is some sort of mystical balance point or metaphysical law that states; too large or powerful caliber + too light or small a pistol=reliability/endurance problems. Come to think of it, MAYBE IT'S JUST PLAIN OLD PHYSICS COMBINED WITH METALURGICAL TECHNOLOGY.

Pick the Beretta to slip in the pocket holster. Pick the Kahr to wear on the belt, inside or out.;) BTW, the Colt Mustang Pocket lite is a good .380 compromise between the two.

CZ_

Guess what? It will happen eventually to any small alloy framed blowback pistol firing a more powerful caliber than .25 or .22 LR. These things are not designed to military sidearm levels of durability

Are you implying that it won't happen to .22 or .25 ACP alloy pistols?

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
CZ_,

Are you implying that it won't happen to .22 or .25 ACP alloy pistols?

Oh, probably in all likelihood it will, but after a much higher round count than most people will ever put through them.

I just don't think a Jetfire, Bobcat or Minx suffers anywhere near the frame stresses a similarly-sized Tomcat does. Ditto the P-230/232. In all probability a .32 ACP one will chug along for longer than most people will shoot such a small gun with such expensive ammo, but the same gun in .380 cracks frames at relatively low round counts.

Kind of like Kel-Tecs: The P-11 is a sweet little pistol when you consider that it's almost free, but chamber the same gun in .40 and they seemed to eat themselves alive in short order.

CZ_

^Thanks for the information.

As far as the .380 Sig P232, I assume that the stainless steel frame version would be pretty strong? Probably only the alloy P232 is suseptable to frame failure?