Jericho 941 (Baby eagle) 40S&W - question

CzCasull

I found a Jericho 941 or "Baby eagle" as it's called- chambered in 40 S&W up for adoption for a good price. It's used but I plan to check it out in and out.

Are these good firearms, how accurate are they, could I compete with one, and will it preform well even if it's been used? let's say it's shot over 200 rounds as just ONE example.. not to exclude other calculations and whatnot.

I need to know if I should lay down the cash later this week- or even tomorrow.

Also.. POST A PIC OF YOURS :D

_W_

I have a Baby Eagle compact chambered in .40 s&w. I don't shoot competitively but I did shoot it for my Texas CHL exam and got a relatively high score on the shooting test.

Feels good in my hands, nice build quality, great DA/SA trigger (though the DA is pretty long, the SA nice), and I get alot of eyes at the range.

n37503814_30319092_7538.jpg

CzCasull

The compact looks pretty rad. I for some reason think I'll get one of those later down the line.

Thanks for the info!

CzCasull

ADD ON QUESTION: If it's a full-size 40 S&W with a safety that's on the frame (not on the slide) that isn't a de-cocker how old is the model of Jericho I'm looking at and is it still good.

CzCasull

Add on question (last one) :D: Can this gun be refinished with Gun kote or dura kote or would it ruin it due to its design?

roman3

I had the older Jehrico 941 version in the old briefcase set up. Chamberd in 9mm and 41 AE. The all steel version is heavy, for 9mm it shot real well but the 41 AE was quite stoudt. The only "real" issue for me was finding spare mags (at that time) and the location of the safety/decocker in the slide serrations, meant most of the time you tended to rack the slide by pulling directly on the levers. Not a big deal but just not what I was used to.

Even the old 3rd Gen SW autos which had them seemed to have them laid out differently.

Don't know if you have seen this website but its worth looking at if you are interested in the Jehrico. Especially check out the pics on page 3 of the Jehrico in action.

http://members.shaw.ca/sherm/jericho/Page1.html

All in all a great service firearm, heavy for its day and heavy today but its a well built tank and you can't go wrong.

Dfariswheel

The Jericho is like every other pistol in that it can be coated with one of the gun coatings.
Like all guns, you have to keep the coating out of the action and off the frame and slide rails.
You want the coating only on the exterior.

The Jericho and the Baby Eagle were built in Israel by Israeli Military Industries, (IMI) from parts supplied by Tanfoglio of Italy.

Tanfoglio was and is the actual maker of the parts for almost all the CZ-75 clone and copy pistols.
Their current importer into the US is EAA (European American Armory) who import it as the "Witness" series.

The Jericho and the Baby Eagle are basically cosmetically different versions of the standard EAA Witness, and are the same gun internally with most parts interchanging with the Witness.
All these are "good buy" guns and owners are usually well satisfied. They tend to shoot accurately and reliably.

Lucky 7

Huge fan of CZ-75s and clones owning 5 throughout the years. The Jericho is my favorite by far as the (stock) trigger is better than base models of the others and the looks and grip shape/angle can't be touched. The old (big, blocky) sights are great for in-close work (15M and less) and the barrel is polygonal which is said to be more accurate than conventional (MRI did import them for a spell w/ conventional barrel 2005-2007 or 8).

I use mine (a 941R from KBI way back when) as my CCW piece and occasional IDPA-style matches.

Be advised that Tanfoglio grossly undersprings their weapons. Swap the recoil spring w/ a 16# Wolff ASAP. You'll notice the weapon cycling more surely (ie NOT sluggish).

If you're dead set on .40 go for it, but keep in mind that the 9x19 version holds 4 more, the barrel is thicker (think junior bull-barrel) and the recoil is just not there. Consider it, but JUST GET ONE! :D

Regards and Semper Fi!
Lucky 7

CzCasull

Wow, dude! thanks for that. At least I know I can change stuff out of it and all.

The .40 at the shop is used and handles like a dream. It's also for a very good price so I'm probably going to go over there and have them open it up for my own inspection.

If possible, could someone post pics of its guts? It would be nice to know what is good and what is questionable more off the bat.

Thanks again!

Kyo

i shot the 45 version and it has more kick then my p345 which is weird cause its heavier by half a pound at least. over all accurate guns. I can see myself owning one because it does feel like a tough tank.
the rifiling is polygonal and I don't like the fact that the manual says no +p rounds. how does a gun like that go through without being able to take +p? thats my only complaint about it.

Lucky 7

Kyo The reason it "kicks" more is b/c it's underspung. Try two pounds over the factory weight. As far as not using +P ammo, that's a laugh. Try 124gr JSP over 5.8gr of Unique. A couple hundred rounds of it and no noticeable wear. The Jericho is a beast.

-Lucky 7

NJgunowner

It's IWI now btw, Israeli Weapons industries. They changed the name when they went private and no longer owned by the Israeli gov. They are currently being imported by Charles Daly since 1/1/2009 so no more baby eagles.

I have the BE 941 semi compact polymer, it's a great gun. The only complaint I'd have with it is it really doesn't like Lawman ammo which is what they mainly carry at my shooting range. Doesn't have a problem with federal or anything else. I've nick name lawman ammo "1 in 10" cause that about how often it jams.

Erik Prins

I was looking at that link that roman3 posted, in those pictures the undercover guys all have a red mark on the top of their gun to ID them as undercovers. That is a great idea- any "good guy" who sees them is going to be looking right at that gun and will be able to immediately identify them as friendly, dang that is smart!

serf 'rett

Bought a new BE 0.40 S&W in June. Full size. Can't help you with condition of your used one. My new one has some issues with failure to feed Wally World cheap Win. White Box 165. Improved after about 300 rounds. No problems with 180g ammo. (May have to check out the spring recommendations)
It's taking me a little while to get the hang of the long heavy DA trigger for that first shot since my only pistol for years was .22 target model. Smooth trigger on following shots.
Mine shoots low - about 3 inches at 50 to 75 feet when I'm standing on my hind legs, but 8 to 9 rounds in a 4 inch circle at 50 feet is common thus far. She's a shooter IMHO. Can hardly wait to see what it will do off a bench with brand X,Y, Z... ammo.
I bought a Springfield Armory XD-m 9mm at the same time. While I like both, the Baby Eagle is more fun to shoot (except when I consider ammo $$).

CzCasull

Good to know. The used one got sold unfortunately but I am looking at new now. :cool:

I like the feedback compared with the XD(m).. that's my second choice for a handgun.

Skan21

I love the XD(M) 9. That gun rocks, and it eats anything that runs through it. It's extremely tough, and I've put 1700 rounds of anything I can get my hands on through it. Unbalanced feel when empty, but perfectly balanced with a full mag. Not a single malfunction. Points just like my 1911 too. Trigger takeup is long, but that's the only thing I don't like about it. Good luck!