JC Higgins Model 88 .22

Viper99

Just saw this at my local FFL. Is it worth owning or is it junk? In close to new condition with box and papers $249.
Regards

mj246

One of these was my first firearm. They were made by High Standard and essentially the same mechanically as the Sentinel 22 revolvers. I would definitely not call them "junk" but they will not have the robustness and polish of a S&W or Ruger. They are light, accurate, and function generally well. The only problem I ever had with mine was some light strikes shooting double action (~ 1/3). Single action always got a fire, including ones that had been light strikes from double action. Replacing a spring probably would have solved it, but I sold it to fund another purchase.

joe-lumber

JC Higgins

When I was a kid I use to love looking at the Sear's catalog and their firearms listing. In those days, 50's, there were no restrictions and calmer times on sales. The CIA, Castro, Mafia, or whoever killed Kennedy messed things up for the rest of the gun loving populous. Laws came in that made it harder to purchase firearms and the Congress took advantage to further their laws. I also remember the surplus Lugers and 45's available from the American Rifleman magazine advertisers. I wish I would have had money to order them in those days but I was just a kid.
But I'll bet I shot many thousands of BB's with my Red Ryder air gun. Heck I carried it in my newspaper racks while delivering papers, always at the ready for monsters that I might find on my route.

James K

Member In Memoriam
IMHO, that would be the very top price on the Sentinel, and I don't think the Sears version would be higher.

The guns are OK and very accurate. But I would try to get it down to $180 or so. If the price is firm, and unless you just can't live without, I would take a pass.

Jim

CajunBass

If it's in that condition, with the box and papers, I'd dislocate my shoulder getting my wallet out. Especially if it's a 4" barrel. (Of course I'd play poor, and offer less. What's the worst thing that can happen? They'll say no?)

I had a couple of those High Standard Sentinel's. About the best "bumming around in the woods" 22's I've ever owned in my humble opinion. They're not target pistols, but they're plenty "tin can and pine cone" accurate. They'll fit a holster made for a medium frame revolver. Think Uncle Mike's Sidekick. The guns are really light and carry well all day. The two I had, the D/A triggers weren't anything to write home about, but the S/A wasn't bad at all.

Alas, I don't bum around in the woods much anymore, so I sold mine to younger people who do. They enjoy them.

krimmie

Bought mine from a neighbor who was moving about 25 years ago-besides the obvious wear, it shoots great, although a 6 o'clock hold is necessary inside 40 yards or so. This one has a six inch barrel.

I would try and talk him down some, but in that condition with paper work, I'd spend $249.
cefc63cf1ed90b11d21cd988ae5d6217.jpg

Carmady

"Bought mine from a neighbor who was moving about 25 years ago-besides the obvious wear, it shoots great, although a 6 o'clock hold is necessary..."

I had a R-107 4" Sentinel a couple of years ago, NOS with paperwork, and the instructions showed the 6 o'clock hold. It would shoot too high for plinking at 25 yards, so I sold it. That's the only reason I sold it.