JB Custom Mare's Leg?

Ranger325

I'll post this in the Handgun Forum, since that is what these are sold as -- handguns. The mods can move if you think necessary.

Let me start off by saying that I've been looking at these for some time. They are made by JB Custom in IN and are built on a cut down Puma frame/action. I know that they are not the most practical addition to my gun safe, but....... :rolleyes:

Does anyone own one or have experience with one? I'm looking at a NIB model in .45 Colt. I've found a few gun rag reviews online, but would really like to hear from a member with first hand experience.

Thanks........................

Regards,

Michael Bane

We shot one of the Chiappa's during the SHOOTING GALLERY episode on Lever Gun Self-Defense. It was a complete hoot to shoot...nobody wanted to give it up.

Ron Norton, who runs Chiappa, actually cooked up a "Tactical Mare's Leg" (Ron's...different), hard-chromed in .44 Magnum, black furniture and a suppressor.

Totally impractical, but hey, I have a Spike's Tactical 9mm AR pistol, so who am I to talk?

Michael B

Hook686

Back when "Wanted Dead, or Alive" was a TV show, Steve McQueen carried a Mare's Laig

WantedDeadOrAlive_S1.jpg

which was supposidly a cut down Winchester 1892. As I recall the studio got into problems with the government over the cut down carbine.

What is the legality today of a rifle cut to a 12" barrel ?

Bill DeShivs

The new guns are not cut-down rifles. They are manufactured as handguns.
Cutting down a rifle below 26" OAL/16" bbl, requires a $200 federal tax stamp.

Jim March

Yeah, JB started this ball rolling because he's a licensed handgun manufacturer and he got ahold of some recievers that had never been built as any type of gun.

So he assembled and sold them as handguns, and got a letter of support for the project from BATFE. Chiappa, Puma and the rest are following JB's lead...they are NOT chopped rifles.

Interestingly, it would be legal to turn these into rifles yourself and then back into handguns later, SO LONG AS you made sure you never had an illegal configuration put together. That means, whenever it's wearing a barrel of 16" or more, it HAS to have an overall length of, I think, 26"? And when it has a barrel under 16", it has to have the chopped stock.

You could legally put a 20" barrel on there while running the chopped stock if you wanted...it's be silly, but legal.

Sidenote: Chiappa builds GOOD guns. I bought one of the Cimarron "Plinkertons" in 22LR as an SAA-sized trainer/practice gun, and despite being built to meet a budget price (under $200!) it's a well-made gun and works well for what it is. Speaks extremely well for the company and I'd buy their higher-end stuff in a heartbeat.

Ranger325

Thanks to all for your input!
Interesting thoughts about turning it back into a rifle, if you were so inclined. I thought it would be a real fun range gun not to mention a conversation piece!! ;)
Hook - yep it's similar to Josh Randall's. A blast from my childhood past long gone!!

Regards,