Jammed Glock 22 with snap caps

wally626

Bought some snap caps for my glock 22. Loaded the magazine cycled them through, did a few dry fires, no issues. Reloaded a cap by placing it directly in the barrel and let the slide snap closed using the thumb release, dry fire and rack the slide, nothing comes out?? Tried to field strip the gun, nope. Remembered some helpful advice to previous posters on how to disassemble the slide, took the striker out then took the slide off, removed the barrel. I had to pry the cap out of the barrel. So far OK, put it back together and put in a new cap via the magazine, racking the slide and the cap falls out but does not eject. Put a few more in the magazine and rack the slide a few more times and now things are back to normal. Ran a few more magazines through with no issues.

Did I make a mistake placing the cap directly into the chamber? Does this mess up the ejection mechanism?

roklok

The extractor had to "snap" over the rim when the snap cap was placed directly in the chamber. This takes considerable force, and wedged your snap cap in the chamber.

Dave T

If you have the same snap caps I have they are aluminum. The rim just isn't all that strong and dropping the slide on the already chambered cap probably damaged the rim. Snap Caps are not designed to be cycled through the gun like dummy rounds, they are just to cushion the firing pin's blow. Don't cycle a new snap cap in for every shot, just pull the slide back far enough to re-engage the striker and close it.

Dave

wally626

The bottoms of the caps are brass and it does not look like they suffered any damage. Roklok is probably right that the extractor forced it into the chamber farther than it was meant to go. It was really stuck good even with the barrel out of the gun it took some force to get it out.

For dry firing, I agree, just need to re-cock the striker, but what are new toys for except playing with?

JohnKSa

Administrator
Glocks are not designed for direct chamber loading. I've not heard of it causing the problem you describe, but it can chip or otherwise damage your extractor.

Rounds should always be loaded from the magazine.