Jacketed bullets for 45Colt

Jack Straw

Do any of the manufacturers make a jacketed .45 bullet specifically for the 45Colt? I want a JSP or JHP around 250gr. My plan is to load it to levels suitable for Ruger revolvers (using W296) and to use it in my Rossi 92 as a short range (under 75yds) whitetail round. My concern is that the bullet be cannelured, and that the cannelure be properly positioned so that a crimped round will function through the lever action. I also want a bullet that is constructed to do want I want it to do.

Jack

WESHOOT2

Don't know about 'long gun' length, but Nosler, Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Swift all make (at least) adequate bullets in .452".

Very best 45 JHP = Swift A-Frame. Also most expensive (by far).
I love the 325g'ers.......at 1250fps from my 5.5" Redhawk.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Grayfox

The Hornady .452 diameter 250 and 300 grain XTP bullets were designed specically for the .45 Colt. IIRC the expansion range is from about 800 to 1200 fps. This will put you in either standard or +P velocity ranges. I haven't tried them in "magnum" level loads.

As a side note: I've found the .45 Colt is at its best using hard cast lead bullets and these would be my choice for hunting loads.

------------------
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Jack Straw

Grayfox,

I would prefer to use a cast bullet (something like the 250gr Keith), but I'm not sure that they will work in the lever action since they tend to be rather long. If I am wrong about that please tell me. I have access to a RCBS mold that pours the 250K bullet and it would be my first choice.

Thanks for all the input.

Jack

Grayfox

Jack,
I've used 250gr LFN and 255gr LSWC bullets in my Winchester 94 Trapper without any problems. Both feed just fine. You'll just have to try them in the Rossi to find out if they will work for you. However, from what I've tried and heard from others, feed problems seem to show up more with bullets that are too short (200gr SWC) rather than too long.

------------------
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.