Jacketed ammunition in old guns

K-9

Should jacketed ammunition be used in older handguns?
Or just lead,to be on the safe side?
I can't leave them in the safe,I just have to shoot those old guns.
Thanks.

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
K-9, as long as the guns are in safe shooting condition jacketed bullets won't hurt them. If you are in the least bit unsure, have them checked by your local smith for safety. George

It is always better to use jacketed ammo.

If unsure of your old gun; use a lower load.

If unsure of your old gun; keep it in a glass box for show or discard by turning it into the police for destruction.

Open lead ammo is poisonous and emits toxic lead fumes from both the gun and ammo. Lead rubs everywhere into your food and house causing stupidity and birth defects.

Toxic means poisonous. But you can ship toxic stuff via US Postal Service; but not poison. Lead is toxic. Lead is a poison.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K-9:
Should jacketed ammunition be used in older handguns?
Or just lead,to be on the safe side?
I can't leave them in the safe,I just have to shoot those old guns.
Thanks.
[/quote]

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
K-9, if you want to shoot lead bullets, do so. Your children will not be born stupid or with birth defects nor will you die from shooting lead. Unless of course the pistol is pointed at a vital area of your body when it discharges. George

johnwill

Lead is actually a bit easier on the gun, though I can't imagine jacketed ammo hurting anything but the most fragile gun.

beemerb

TURN IT IN TO THE POLICE FOR DESTRUCTION.
HOW SAD FOR THE TFL.

------------------
beemerb
We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world;
and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men
every day who don't know anything and can't read.
-Mark Twain

James K

Member In Memoriam
Sure, everybody, take Hart's advice and turn in your old guns for destruction. You don't want that old Colt Paterson or Revolutionary War musket anyway. Turn in all your guns and make this guy even happier.

I can only think that Hart is working with indoor ranges and has gone completely overboard about the dangers involved in use of lead.

Yes, lead is toxic if lead fumes or lead dust is inhaled or lead is regularly handled. Bullet casters need to be especially cautious, and indoor ranges have serious problems with lead. Further, lead accumulates in the body and is not flushed out as most other poisonous substances are.

But are we to believe that a box of .22 ammo emits so poisonous fumes and people die by the thousands for miles around. Nonsense!

Many older guns have soft barrel metal that was never intended for jacketed bullets, and only lead bullets should be used in them.

Jim