Jack O'connor's .270 load

wpbarrett

I read a article on Jacks favorite load for the .270. But I can't remeber what book or what the load was, I think it was 4064 or some thing like that. If any of you know what I'm talking about I would be grateful.

thanks Bill

Win62a

Actually I think it was 62 grains of H4831 BUT that was the original surplus 4831 which was much slower burning than what is currently available. The 60 gr load is max with today's H4831.

My .270 likes H4831 and 130 Noslers.

Picher

My Rem 700, .270 Win likes 130 grain Nosler BT, with 61 grains of Reloder 22, CCI 200 primers in Rem cases. I worked this up slowly and pressure in my gun is fine. Average velocity is 3,260. Accuracy is 3 1/2" at 450 yards.

The load is devastating on deer to at least 400 yards!!!!

Your results may vary. Reduce powder charge by at least 2 grains and work up half a grain at a time.

Picher

Charles S

Actually I think it was 62 grains of H4831 BUT that was the original surplus 4831 which was much slower burning than what is currently available. The 60 gr load is max with today's H4831.

I believe you are correct. IIRC I once read that after Mr. O'connor's death an individual was going through his reloading room and asked for his scale (just to have the great Jack O'connor's reloading scale). Upon getting it home and getting ready to use it he discovered the scale was off by two grains so Mr. O'cconor was really shooting 60 grains of powder.

Again I take what I read in gun magazines with a grain of salt, but I am sure I read that somewhere. I cannot site the reference. I will look for it.

WmCC

Win and Charles each get a prize.

A 130g spitzer over 62.0 g of H-4831 is correct. A statement from Mr. O'Connor to my father on the front porch of the very modest O'Connor home in Lewiston, ID., in June 1956. As a 12 year old, I was standing to his side but still remember the lighthearted conversation as if it was yesterday.. He was a very warm and engaging gentleman with a strong handshake and a world class smile. I was shooting a Swedish mauser in 6.5 at the time, (my first bolt gun), and Mr. Jack had a custom Swede in 6.5 in one of his gun cabinets. He spoke very highly of the cartridge.

Needless to say, I have been a 270 fan from that day forward.

Bill, Always stick with modern load data...formulations have changed. That surplus H-4831 from 20mm shells used to cost $1.00 a pound in the 60's.

Last edited:

piercfh

Theres a good write up on everything yall are reciting in Kan Waters' Pet Loads book. There is a clip of a letter O'Conner wrote describing the 62 grain load. Also Waters mentions col. Townsend Whelen favored the 4831 powder, but at 58 grains and 150 gr. bullets. After reading the .270 segment of Water's book the first powder bought was 4831. Out of my old FN Browning Safari Im getting just under MOA groups with 55 grains of 4831 and nosler 130gr ballistic tip. This load was said to be the most accurate 130 grain load tested by the nosler book. Im very pleased with MOA groups from a wood stock hunting rifle over 30 years old.

2Seventy

Am I wrong or isn't the H4831 powder supposed to duplicate the ballistics of the old military surplus powder that was so readily available years ago?

2Seventy

Charles S

Am I wrong or isn't the H4831 powder supposed to duplicate the ballistics of the old military surplus powder that was so readily available years ago?

No you are not wrong, H4831 is supposed to duplicate the old surplus powder available in the past, and it is close. It is not an exact match therefore the change from 62 down to 60 grains in the current reloading manuals.

(In addition the the scales comment I made earlier).