J. Stevens Favorite Model 1915

Mike38

This is a long shot, but does anyone know where to find parts for a J. Stevens Favorite Model 1915 rifle .22LR caliber? Looking for a breach block assembly, complete, and the lever. Gunpartscorp.com shows out of stock.

I inherited this rifle from my father, which was given to him by his father in 1940. I remember shooting it as a kid back around 1970 or so. Sometime there after, one day my Dad told me to never shoot it, as there was problems with it. Well being young and dumb, I took it out one day when I was the only one home. Placed a round in the chamber, attempted to close the block and it fired out of battery. The extractor/ejector was messed up some how and it dented the rim of the cartridge, thus firing the round. I looked down and saw the back of the case blown out, and panicked, thinking I had embedded brass in my face. Luckily, it all missed me. But did I ever get my butt chewed out for shooting a gun that I was told never to touch. My Dad removed the breach block so that would never happen again. That was 41 years ago. He never got it fixed. The parts he removed have long since been lost, and I’d love to be able to fix that little rifle up and give it to my grandson when he turns 11 years old, same age I was when I first shot it. I’ve got 9 years until he turns 11, so I’m in no hurry. But I’d sure have a blast shooting that thing for awhile. Thanks.

OK... I love these rifles, & I'm a bit strange, as I never shot them when I was a kid...

1st off... never use high velocity ammo in your gun ( personally I prefer to use Colibri's or Super Colibri's ) they use only primer & are much lower in pressure... otherwise standard velocity rounds only... the actions are pretty weak on these type & era of guns...

granted you have a lot of time to look for parts, the previous post gave you some very good options... you might find getting some "good" parts tough, as alot of the action parts have been damaged from age / wear, or abuse ( shooting high velocity ammo in them ) so be carefull shopping parts ( I bought a replacement... used breach block for my Crackshot that was actually worse than my original that was damaged, so I ended up having my welder buddy repair, & my machinist buddy refit my original

you do know that Stevens makes a similar modern rifle ( reads... safe to shoot with modern ammo, & safer for your child to use & grow up with )

this is a basic one for example...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=215564119

they have made some nice limited edition guns in that model that are nicer looking & could be considered "worth" passing down...

not that the original Favorite isn't worth fixing up... but IMO, once done, better to give your son, once he's grown... maybe get him a new one to grow up with, then give him his great grandpa's rifle ( just like his 1st rifle ) once he's grown to where he can truely appreciate the antique gun...