J&G special - used Taurus 82 revolvers

BerettaBuckeye

I have one but only because it was sent as a replacement from Taurus. It's a pretty decent gun and as with most things Taurus I think if you get a good one it'll serve you well. Even at that price I would be afraid to buy a gun that's obviously heavily used ( or at least carried ) without being able to inspect it in person. And I mean any gun of any brand.To go back to your question though, my model 82 has always been reliable, accurate, I like the factory rubber grips and the bluing is surprisingly very nice. I loaned to to my mom about a year ago and haven't seen it since so she must like it too. I think you can score a new 82 for well under $300 though.

BerettaBuckeye

Just looked at Buds and I see that a new 82 is now almost $350 so I stand corrected on my previous comment. It wasn't that long ago they were $289. Or maybe I'm getting old

Kreyzhorse

Looks like a good price for used revolver.

I would hope they are more reliable than most Taurus but even for that price I'd be afraid to take a chance. Couple that with the fact that they look like they've been well used, I'd take a pass.

Corona

Thanks. I appreciate the input. I've searched the board and have really found little info on this specific model. Nor have I found anyone posting that they'd bought one of the J&G specials. Maybe it's too soon, but generally if folks are pleased with the deal they're posting quickly.

I'll keep my eyes out for such posts.

I really am not familiar with revolvers at all, but with three semi autos I thought I'd broaden my horizons a bit. I'm not ruling this out yet, by neither am I ready to jump. There are certain brands of guns that seem more hit and miss and Taurus seems to be one of those.

But I'm not shy about milsurp guns either. Have a CZ82 that I just love...but lots written about them, positive mostly.

I'll keep looking and pondering. Thanks for the info. I'll let yall know if I pull the trigger.

mhmiller62

Hello all,

I've been reading TFL for about a year and came across this thread so I thought I'd post. I bought one of these taurus revolvers about three weeks ago from J&G. I received a wood grip version. What you see on the pictures is about what I got. Alot scuffs and scrapes and some rust. Before firing it I only cleaned the bore and cylinders. At the range I fired 50 rounds of UMC 125gr fneb and 12 rounds of Winchester 125gr JHP +P. The single action trigger was very nice and accurate with the UMC. The twelve rounds that I fired with the Winchester were hitting about 2 - 3 inches right at 20'. One problem that I had was firing double action with the UMC I'd get light strikes 1 out of 6 times. I've since removed the cover that encloses the springs and cleaned it with decreaser and lightly oiled it to see if that helps the light strikes. I haven't had a chance to fire it since cleaning the internals. I'll post an update when I get a chance to fire it again.

Corona

Mhmiller - thanks for sharing. At the price they're offering, I would expect the cosmetics to be a little rough. And I would be ok with that. Holster wear, fine. A little rust, ok. Frankly, cleaning it up to be presentable appeals to me anyway. I'm mostly interested in how it shoots...is it reasonable accurate? Reliable for both plinking and HD?

Appreciate your observations on SA vs DA. I'd anticipate the DA performance to improve with a thorough cleaning and lube. And thanks for being willing to update us on that when you get a chance.

Happy new year, y'all.

Walklightly

Actually as a almost anti Taurrerist. These are well used broken in proven Taurus's.

I think I'd rather depend my life on one of these proven in the field Taurus's, than a brand new one. If I didn't have a gun, with little money in hand, I'd consider one of these.

I have to go sit in the corner now, and bury my face.:confused:

Last edited:

CajunBass

I bought one NIB back in the 80's I guess it was. That was a decent gun for what it cost. Shot straight, well made, good trigger, decent looking, except for grips that looked like they'd been carved out a 2x4, and checkered with an ax. I shot the snot out of that gun, using mostly reloaded wadcutters. I sold it to a guy a worked with to help fund something else.

If I didn't already have a half dozen or so Smith&Wesson 38's, I'd be tempted to get one of those.

Onward Allusion

It's a good deal for a shooter, especially one made of steel. Not many decent revolvers you can get for under $200 these days. Those guns were probably carried a lot but shot little. I have a few of the newer model 82's with the full lugs that were security company trade-ins. They're all reliable guns and accurate. Like someone else said, I'd rather trust a used/proven Taurus than a new one just out of the box.

huntinaz

Hmmmmmm......now I'm thinking S&W model 10s.....

The problem with the 82 is that it's made by Taurus. I would buy a used Smith before any Taurus. Buy a model 10 with confidence, you don't have to ask anybody's opinion for that.

Daryl

Some Taurus bashing going on (and I've been a part of it at times, with some bad luck with them), but...

They do give a lifetime waranty on their firearms, and my understanding is that it's not limited to the original purchaser.

But if I buy a Taurus these days, I want it new, and I want my dealer to order it from Davidson's. Davidson's offers a DISTRIBUTOR lifetime replacement waranty. No dealing with slow, and possibly poor service from Taurus. Just have your dealer send it back to Davidson's, and they'll send a replacement in a few days.

My experience, along with what I've heard and read leads me to believe that some Taurus firearms are built fairly well, while others not so much. That extra service offered by Davidson's is first rate, and they offer it on every gun they sell.

Might be worth the extra money to buy a new one from them.

Daryl

trex1310

The tidbit about Davidson's is good to know. Now on to the bashing.
I wouldn't buy a new Taurus much less a used one.

B.N.Real

Honestly,I think those old Taurus's might be fine handguns.

They were modeled after the Smith's and they were'nt built in a hurry.

There are worse guns to spend a hundred and a half on.

The fact they are still in circulation means they were probably shot some and just put to the side.

You should see if J&G would let you send them back from your FFL if you inspect the one you get -AT THE FFL BEFORE YOU TAKE POSSESSION- and be able to send in back if you don't like it.

Or at least get an exchange since they seem to have a boatload of them right now.

But that's all likely to cost you money.

8emem

Even if you get the 82 fixed by Taurus you are going to pay shipping both ways, which from where I am in Illinois is about $30 total. The $30 would be much better spent towards the used Model 10's that seem to be plentiful right now, you don't need to ask for opinions about them.