J- Frames

Drm50

Getting a small collection of J frames built up on trade deals. Most are old models. I’m anxious to try out the 34-1 snubby, already shot with the Round Butt factory grips and didn’t do that well. Put J frame
Targets on it and think it will do better. In past I could always do better with the Targets on Js. I know it’s stupid to put Targets on a snub but it ain’t for CCW purposes.
5cb2f9d8666917321a1bdf28ca0440e4.jpg

352526454d57f2d2bca362366be34a2d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Armybrat

Nice collection of J frames.
Thanks for sharing the pic.

I had a standard snub Chief’s Special now owned by my son, and still have Model 38 Airweight (shrouded hammer).
Also gave my Model 34 to him.
But would love to find a 3” with square butt.

Attachments

• CEC9B0DD-D63E-4DFE-82CC-4162CB12542F.jpeg
    CEC9B0DD-D63E-4DFE-82CC-4162CB12542F.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 49
  • B982A31C-95C9-4FEC-8E36-CC62F711A30A.jpeg
    B982A31C-95C9-4FEC-8E36-CC62F711A30A.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 2C67789C-741B-470A-AB89-35B9BD1EF9B3.jpeg
    2C67789C-741B-470A-AB89-35B9BD1EF9B3.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 46

Don P

Why is it stupid? If it helps you shoot better than it's not stupid. No sense in running cool grips and not being able to hit the broad side of the barn.

Drm50

Putting big grips on small revolver defeats purpose of it. Might as well carry a
4” 422 Target model. Not carrying for CCW but live in rural area where a quality 22 for opportunities comes in handy. You never know what you might want to “hole” until it pops up in front of you.

Drm50

If you are going to get grips that “fill your hand better” they are going to have to be fatter, wider, longer, ect. I have found in most cases the length and width of grip from back strap to trigger is more critical than having fatter/ thicker grips.
Their is only so much you can do with small revolvers. The Ruger Bearcat is another revolver that most can shoot better with oversized grips.

tangolima

I add grip adapter to small grip old style revolvers. It makes huge difference.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Drm50

Yea, I’m finishing up 1905HE project. In 32/20, gun came to me with new K Magnas and I didn’t want to put K targets on it. A Tyler T grip adapter made it perfect for my paws. I’ve got Alamont “Falconia” grips for RD butt Js, I hate chubby short grips. I get an F for style, I’ll just take the plain jane Magnas and trade off the ghetto grips.

rodfac

Tyler T's have worked well for me in K frames, but are a bit small for my size L paws when used on J's. Another option might be the old S&W combat grips, which are short enough for concealment purposes but add width and another 1/4" to the back of the grip to trigger length distance.

These are the only wood grips that fit me well enough to use .38 Spl +P ammunition in my M-36 and M-60 with comfort. In the M-60, a .357, only Hogue Monogrips allow use with magnum rounds, and then only the lighter bullet weights. Full house, 158 gr JHP's are painful, however. Best Regards, Rod

CajunBass

I've only got one J-frame now, a 642 that I enjoy shooting with 38 Wadcutters. Even 38 P+ defensive ammo isn't too bad, I just don't shoot a lot of it in the light gun.

I don't know who made these grips. They were on the gun when I got it. I THINK they're made by Hogue, but there is no identification on them. The Hornady logo is another mystery.

00-hkoSrbiJVbkLQIqHJdzDYiKsisWU9eos8swfCMeXiIw00QOUuPVXbY94pt5mHTm-4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA

fastbolt

Hey, if it brings you satisfaction, what's the problem?

Large grips on a J-frame are usually only an issue if you wish to pocket-holster a snub. Don't carry it that way? or, don't carry it at all? Suit yourself with whatever grip stocks tickle your fancy.

I only have 1 J-frame with a 3" barrel (and it's RB, nickel), but I bought that as a young cop when J's typically sold out of display cases about as fast as they appeared, and I couldn't find the M60 I had in mind. I carried it either IWB or OWB, so the barrel length wasn't an issue. All my other J's are short barreled, and over time I came to appreciate being able to pocket-holster them, so the grip stocks suit that purpose.

Enjoy your growing collection.

Paul B.

Cajun, dunno who made the stocks for your gun but they look like a clone of the Spegel boot grip. I have a matched pair of J frame M49's with that style frip in some sort of black composite. I like them. My M60 has a set of Pachmeyrs in some king of rubber. They're a bit larger than the Spegels but haven't been a problem using the M60 as a pcket gun.