J frame grip questions

Any .45

Hello all,

I just purchased a Bodygaurd (438) and I want to change out the grip for something in wood. I did a search and couldn't find any info and the combat boot grip, I see info boot or combat grip but not on the combat boot ( http://www.kelleyarms.com/SWDA.htm, or http://www.handgungrips.com/model.cfm?mfg=Smith & Wesson&category=handgun grip.) Does anybody have use the combat boot grip does it make it any harder to conceal in the pocket. I have pretty big hands and the boot grip doesn't feel bad I just want something where I can put my pinkie without losing to much of the concealablilty. Thanks in advance!!

davidenorth

Here are Ahrends boot grips. Here is their linkhttp://ahrendsgripsusa.com/retro.htm

retro3.jpg

fm2

What are you planning on for the primary carry method? I have some uncle Mikes that work well and the Pachmayr Compac are also good.

Any .45

It'll be pocket carry for the most part. After rereading my original post I read as if I were drunk, who knows maybe!:eek: My intention is to carry in the pocket, I've been carrying her for a few days and it feels fine. I'm wondering if the Combat boot is just as concealable but with just a bit more length for the pinkie. I seen the combat grip itself on a buddy of mines 642 but it seems to be big for a pocket gun. So I guess my question would be, does the combat boot grip fall in the middle between an original boot grip and a combat grip or is it still to much for pocket carry? Again thanks in advance.

Daryl

Anything that adds to the length of the grip can make a handgun harder to conceal. I have a set of grips that are very similar to what you showed in the link, and they do add a bit of "mass" to the grip area.

To me, they reduce felt recoil a bit, and are very comfortable. They do make the handgun harder to conceal, but just barely.

Whether it will affect pocket carry or not likely depends on how big your pockets are. I'm a smaller framed guy, standing 5'7", and weighing around 140 lbs, so I'm on the lean side. The pockets on my jeans are a little small for me to comfortably carry my J-frame in the pocket, although I've done it. The wood grips, for me, do make it harder for pocket carry in a blue jeans pocket.

Bigger fellas wear bigger jeans with bigger pockets, so YMMV.

IMO, if the grips will make the gun more shootable for you, then go for it. A J-frame is pretty easy to conceal, so if pocket doesn't work, you'll find another way. I carry mine in any number of ways...or used to. My wife sorta confiscated it when I came home with a new Glock 23 a few weeks back. ;)

Daryl

aarondhgraham

I have Pachmayer Compac grips on my Models 34/36

They are small and very comfortable to shoot with,,,
But they do present one difficulty.

The rubber material makes them "grab" cloth,,,
In my humble opinion that makes them unsuitable for pocket carry.

Whatever style you choose,,
Stay with a hard material such as wood, plastic, or corion.

Just one more thing to think about.

stargazer65

To davidenorth:

Is that grip on a J frame? I went to the link you provided and it only listed for K/L and N frames.

Oldjarhead

I carried my Smith 640 with the boot grip in my 5.11 Tac-Lites. The gun fits nicely in the Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. I since have put the LG 305 Crimson Trace laser grips on them, with the same result.

Jeans pockets are generally too small for me to pocket carry. That is why I now wear the 5.11 shorts or pants. You might want to try them. They are super comfortable too, for casual wear. They conceal your J frame with no problem at all.

pogo2

Altamont dymondwood

I have several J frames and use Altamont dymondwood boot grips on them. They fit in my pocket.

SW36andSW60.jpg

Any .45

Thanks for all the help!! I did end up ordering both the combat boot grip and the regular boot grip from handgungrips and i got both of them in the black silver wood, that way I have no quarrel with the aesthetics of one wood compared to the other, and I can just focus on the practicality of the grip.

Last edited: