J-Frame as primary or only carry option?

asp

I'd like to get some input about J-Frames as primary (or only) carry pieces. I typically carry a 1911 or Glock but have been pocket carrying a J-frame quite a bit this summer. Those 13+ ounces carry very, very well. Here's the question: Considering the extremely low odds that a civilian will ever need to use a handgun (and the fact that a .38+P ain't exactly chopped liver), could a J-frame be sufficient? I'm aware of the 5 round limitations, slow re-loading, and challenging aspect of DAO snubby accuracy, but I'm almost ready to adopt the little revolver as my EDC all year. I love the Kimber and Glock in .45, but I just wonder if they are necessary. Could a Taurus 85 Police (titanium/alloy) actually replace my beloved semi-auto? (BTW, home defense is covered by a Bushmaster shorty.) Any thoughts, opinions, experiences would be much appreciated. Thanks!

asp

Yes, you answered this one at GT. (Thanks, BTW) I'm just attempting to tap into the best and brightest minds in this immensely important thought process going on in my lame brain.
And I do believe not everyone over there posts over here. No doubt, a large number do though.

Brian Williams

I carry a S&W mod 60 38spec all the time it is my carry gun, deep cover gun, bedside gun, plinking gun, most of the time gun........

it is a 3" barrel SS with adjustable sights very accurate and solid.

I also have a Glock 19, S&W 65 & 66 4 inchers, Taurus Tracker 6" 357, a Ruger mkII and Singlesix.

I want a 1911, ar and 870 and a couple of single actions for hunting and/or cowboy with the requsiste SxS and lever gun.

I would also like to get a Tracker in 45lc and a S&W 625 in 45acp

BUT, I will always carry my Mod 60

rock_jock

A snubbie of sufficient caliber is all you will ever NEED for self-defense, and probably not even that. Of course, most people only NEED a Yugo for driving purposes. Nice thing is, you can always go beyond your needs. Personally, I carry a S&W 638 or 331 more than half the time.

craigz

I don't think the capacity or the reload speed is much of an issue for a civilian. Accuracy is, however. I'm more of a semi-auto guy, but I like to carry a snub around the house. Perhaps because I learned to shoot on semis, my revolver shooting is not great, although I have been working on it lately. Towards that end, I recently bought an S&W 60 to supplant my 642. I want the single action option to be there for aimed fire, if I have the chance to use it, and I also want the option to use .357s. The gun also just got back from Teddy Jacobson, who gave it a buttery smooth eight-pound trigger pull. Although I hesitate to admit it, I've also been experimenting with a set of Crimson Trace Lasergrips. With a bit more practice, I would have no trouble carrying this gun anywhere.

Erich

No criticism intended, btw, Asp, I just was getting ready to write and I thought, "Um. You already wrote this, dodo!"

Reminds me, I've got to go back and check the other GT posts.

asp

No problem Erich; I didn't take it as criticism at all. Guess I thought a few more responses might pop up over here, and it looks like that's the case. Thanks.

Jim March

I think there's a role for the J-class as the "always got it on you gun". In which case, it should be in the same place, every time, all the time.

If you suspect you might need more, add something else, but not "in place of" the piece you've practiced a lot with and have the draw down pat. If the J-class is carried IWB strong-side, and you want to add a 1911, the latter should be in a shoulder rig or fanny pack or something.

Jim Cirillo(sp?) used a "snubby first at bat" approach backed by bigger stuff while doing very intense policework. Part of his thinking was that snubs are fast clearing leather, and are difficult to grab away from you in a close-range mess.

The moment I score CCW, a .22Mag minirevolver will go in the front pocket, a J-class .38 will go IWB. From there, I'll think things over but that's basic, workable self defense.

In the real world, it works really well..a gun you can hide in the palm of your hand, slide up your jacket sleeve, stash in your front pocket or shoot thru a coat pocket on your way to your car late at night is infinitely more valuable to the average citizen than the fanciest custom 1911. Most peole have fantasies about big shoot outs with multiple assailants at their local bank....not me, that is what the FDIC is for...

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
I'd rather have six than five, but I've not felt undergunned with a 5 shot sp101 in 357.

By all means, if you are comfortable go for it.

weldonjr2001

I feel OKAY with a 5-shot SP101 but just feel BETTER with more capacity. True enough, the odds are low I'll need it most of the time, but I'd sure be ticked off at myself if I ever did get in a situation involving several assailants and ran my 5-shot dry. If I survived, that is. But I still carry it and 3 speedloaders occasionally,when I THINK I'm in a low-threat environment. You just never know.

Mannlicher

asp,
as in all endevors, different strokes for different folks. I never feel undergunned with a Model 60 or a little Taurus .38 special. With good Safariland speed loaders, and pracatice, you can load your little J frame in under three seconds, and that includes dumping the empties. Not a lot of semi auto guys can reload that fast when it counts.

Secondly, the .38 Special will take care of business. A good load from a snubbie is not to be sneered at. I like HydroShok 129 grain, and the Federal NyClad 125 loads.

My Smith and Taurus snubbies are accurate, reliable, fast to load, and easy to carry.

ATTICUS

There is a ton of of anctedotal evidence that would make me lean toward a big YES, it is sufficient. 1911's been around since what...1911? Not many detectives carried them. Probably a reason for that. If you have doubts about .38, get a snubby in .357 mag. Other than a small loss in velocity and accuracy, no one questions the capabilities of the .357 mag.

Carbon_15

A Smith 360PD Scandium snubbie in .357mag. is my always gun, and quite often becomes my only gun in the Dog Days. The South Carolina heat and rediculous humidity..and more accuratly the resulting mode of dress, will cause just about anything bigger to be impracticle to conceal. 5 shots of .357 Golden Sabers on tap and a pair of Bianchi speedstrips feels a hair more comforting than a P32 and is almost (except in "shirt tucked, no jacket" situation) as easy to hide.

7th Fleet

I have five different J frames plus a Cobra and I used to carry them a lot but I've since discovered the Keltec P11 which gives me 11 rounds of 9mm +P+ in a flatter and just as light package.

7th

Carbon_15

Umm...11 rounds of 9mm alone almost weighs more than my 360;) :D
Those of you who say 2 or 3 ounces dosn't matter, have never spend much time out of doors in beautiful SC in the middle of August.

Last edited:

22lovr

In the dog-days of summer....

a snubby in the pocket is mucho comfortable. I'm now 56 and have never been confronted by a serious life-threatening situation and I live a sheltered life in suburban Atlanta. I think, for my purposes, the 5-shot snubby will suffice. I'm now seriously looking for the Smith 342PD, mostly because of it's weight and reputation. In spite of what some have said on other forums, most of the feedback on the 342PD is that it is an excellent, quality-made snub......one of Smith's best efforts.

RWK

asp,

Your answer really depends on the scenarios you are likely to encounter (even as a non-LEO). To illustrate, I would feel adequately armed with a J or K Frame or SP101 loaded with five .38 Special +P JHPs in a nice, low-crime, suburban setting. However, if I were working the midnight to 0800 shift at a 7-Eleven in a crime-prone area, I would certainly opt for greater capacity, more potent rounds, and a full-size handgun.

branrot

I believe that when it comes to firepower, more is better (generally). I'd rather have a .45 than a .22, and I'd rather have 15 rounds of 9mm than 8 rounds. Does that mean I need 15 rounds or a bullet as big as a .45? No.

While I feel more comfortable with my larger guns (ie, Para-Ord P13.45), I usually feel perfectly safe with a J-frame (I have a model 60 and 340, both .357). However, there are times when I don't. For example, if I know I'm going through a rough area or that I will be walking a lot late at night, I'll tote a bigger gun.

Hopefully I'll never need 14 rounds of .45 or even 5 rounds of .38 or .357. Hopefully, I'll never need any!