IYO, What is the best CCW gun, PERIOD!

Eric Larsen

Im just curious what TFLers think is the best gun for concealment and defensive purposes is? Yes of all time. Id like to keep it to at least semi compact guns....us smaller guys have a hard time concealing a fullsize 629 or 8"+ 1911 in the summer months.

Size is my most critical criteria, then capacity,caliber etc. If your good with a 38+P and think its the best....tell us.

Add anything you think is "the best"!

Kahr arms K/MK series
Ruger SP101
S&W Mdl 60 & other d/a J frames
1911 s/a 45 w/ 3.500" barrel
S&W 640 and other DAO 60's
CZ 75 Compact/PCR
CZ 83 Mak
Sig 239
Baby Glock 26/27 etc
H&K USPC (biggest gun here :D )
Taurus 650/605/651
Taurus PT 9** series (steel autos)
Walther PP/PPK/PPKS
Beretta Compacts
Para LDA 6/7 series

Lets hear it...what do you think? Shoot well

Brian Williams

I always have my S&W mod 60 with a 3" barrel stuffed somewhere typically mexican carry but lately stuffed in an old usa nylon holster tucked at 4 O'clock

I have an old pair of Herret full checkered grips on it and it is the best.

jimmy

The Glock 26 is the "best" concealed carry gun for me. Compact but powerful enough, reliable, easy to shoot, and low maintenance. For more power, I'd pick the G27 or G33.

However, when summer clothing makes the G26 just a little too heavy or bulky for ease of concealment, I carry an S&W Model 342PD.

JMHO. :)

asp

Kimber Ultra Carry. My favorite of all I've tried the past few years. Small, thin, light, accurate, and 7 + 1 rds. of .45.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
I can see a trend developing here, cuz I'm voting for the
Smith & Wesson model 60; just like my friend Fess. S&W
J-frames are hard to beat.:D :) :cool:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

KSFreeman

You'll get as many answers as there are TFLers!:D Funny thing everyone's right even if they don't care or bother to articulate it. Weapons are trade-offs and double edged swords. Pros and cons to all. None of them are magic (excepting those in gun rags, but we don't think too highly of the flower-shirted).

asp makes part of the case for the 1911. 1. it's flat and thus easier to conceal against the body which aids retention and concealment; 2. it throws a "larger" diameter bullet; 3. the full sized government is easier to manipulate in one hand drills; 4. the narrower grip aids in control in shooting; 5. its magazines are narrow and easier to handle in reloads (both speed and tac)and conceal.

Kahrs are good guns (I carry the P9 as a bug); SIGs are good guns, Glocks are good guns, S&W are good guns, ad naseum.

Find one you like and shoot well. Buy 4 of that weapon and bunches of mags. Buy a good holster and belt. Go to school.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. As my orbits are quite tame now, I've grown a bit lazy and prefer pocket carry, often times year round, even when I could carry a "real" gun in a belt holster under a jacket.

For me, the easiest to carry is an airweight J-frame S&W M042, but the least that I feel really comfortable with is a Glock 26.

My S&W is NOT rated for +P and I carry it loaded with Federal Nyclad 125 gr HP and they chronograph 886 ft/sec from that gun.

The Glock 26 throws the same weight bullet @ 1245 ft/sec. Ammunition used in this one is Triton's 125 gr +P JHP, but standard pressure Federal Nyclad 124 gr 9mm HPs get right at 1100 ft/sec from the little gun. (IF you're interested in Nyclad HP ammunition, get it while you can as they're now selling only to LE as I understand it.) The fact that the Glock holds 10-shots vs 5 before a reload is nice as well, but the increased power was my main reason in going for a pistol that's a bit harder to conceal than the little revolver.

Best.

C.R.Sam

If I was limited to one....
S&W Model 19, 2½" roundbutt.
Pocket holsters or leather highrise.

Light enough to carry all week and strong enough to be able to shoot accurately with heavy loads.

Sam

Redlg155

My 99 percent gun is my Kimber Pro Carry. When I have to "dress down" I just carry it in a fanny pack and blend in with everyone else here for the summer in Panama City.

Good Shooting
Red

jrsower

The perfect CCW has to be the...

P7M8. I don't like carrying anything but my P7. Several reasons...

1. No, it doesn't have the high capacity of the Glocks, but it's easier to conceal due to it's single stack magazine and slim design. I can carry in a Kramer paddle hoslter under a t shirt and nobody ever knows.

2. I feel 100% safe carrying with one in the chamber.

3. It's the fastest gun to present, cock, and unleash with of anything on the face of the earth.

4. If someone were to somehow get my own gun away from me (i.e. wrestle it from me, whatever) chances are good that they be pulling the trigger to no avail whilst I beat feet from the scene.

Only one drawback: it's darn pricey. I sold two guns to get the HK that I have now.

Eric Larsen

Sam,
Funny you should mention pocket carry and high riding leather.
I got a pocket holster for my Lady and like it alot. VERY COMFY.
The Hume 715 for my SP and 60 ride very high..which Ive found is good for cross draw for driving as well as at 4 Oclock....nice.

Im not a wheel or s/auto guy. I love my Kahr as much as my snubbies...but for some reason I feel a 650 SS and a good pocket holster in my future. A great everywhere gun...

Shoot well

Redlg155

3. It's the fastest gun to present, cock, and unleash with of anything on the face of the earth.

Hmmm..you haven't seen a good revolver man in action then. It would definitely surprise you.

Good Shooting
RED

CWL

I've experimented with carrying a H&K P7M8, Kimber Ultra CDP w/slim grips, and a Kahr K9. They're all about the same size and good for CCW.

While I prefer the H&K in quality, accuracy and coolness, I went with the Ultra CDP because it shoots .45ACP over the 9MM. I practice 1.5 second Mozambique drills with both weapons.

I'm going to sell the Kahr because I hate the trigger.

croyance

Much as I like Beretta's, I have a hard time using "compact" as an adjective for "Beretta".
No bests for me, but a Kahr or 4" 1911 works for me. I will take the extra effort to make it work.

22lovr

.38 cal snubby - the varieties are endless

Seems everyone makes one of these. No muss, no fuss, drop it in your pocket and you're on your way. With the development of modern ballistics technology, you can carry five very potent rounds.