IWB holster question

ds1973

Hey guys,

I have a little colt pony in .380 that I've carried in a pocket holster. I recently bought a cheap Uncle Mikes IWB open top Kydex holster and I find that while wearing it the pistol and holster seem to ride up and stick out as though my daily movements are causing it to want to climb out of my pants. I haven't had a problem with retention, but it looks precarious and it also may look more obvious that I'm carrying. I think it's because it's such a short barreled pistol (2.75") that it's doing this. My 1911 doesn't do this at all. Maybe I'm not built right for carrying the 380 this way. Any suggestions? Has anyone else had this type of problem with small autoloaders in an IWB holster riding up and out?

joebogey

I sometimes carry a makarov as a ccw. I too bought a cheap nylon holster and I too feel like the thing is climbing out of the waistband of my pants. As you said, I think probably the problem is the short barreled gun coupled with the cheap holster as the holster does not retain the weapon as it should in the first place. Having recently purchased a Milt Sparks Versa MaxII for my SA loaded, I think I will contact Sparks concerning availablity of the same for my Mak.

sw627pc

You will find that a number of the better custom holster makers add extra leather at the bottom of holsters for the "snubbies" for just this reason. They tend to climb out of the pants. Snubby revolvers are even worse, if they don't climb, they want to roll out and stick out the side. I have IWB's from AKJ/Concealco for both my Gov't model .380 Pocketlite and my Kimber Ultra CDP. Both holsters have extra leather at the bottom (it's flat so it doesn't really show, or rub) that holds them down nicely.

ds1973

Thanks guys!

Good idea! I think I'll get my wife to sew some extra material to the bottom of that holster. Thanks for the info!

SeaHaze

I've found that the right belt makes all the difference when carring my P232 in a Galco IWB. 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 wide and well stitched strong leather is good. Skinny and weave-type are bad.
Best,
SeaHaze