IWB for hip pain?

chris in va

Still trying to figure out my hip pain. Unfortunately the IWB/OWB convertible kydex I bought is VERY uncomfortable as it's not flush against my side, and is painful no matter what "o'clock" it's at.

I have a tiny P365, any suggestions that won't make my wallet scream? Alien Gear any good?

Eazyeach

I have an alien gear for my shield. Super comfortable. A little bulky though, but once you get used to it and find your proper “0 clock” it’s good. Crossbreed is similar and I’ve heard good things. Of course if your pockets are big enough you could get a pocket holster and slip that little gun in there.

Eazyeach

Check out N82 (Nate squared). They may have something for you. No experience with them , but they look comfortable.

O4L

I hate IWB or even OWB for everyday carry.

I pocket carry a J-frame and a Shield. I used to pocket carry a G43 and if I preferred a P365 I would pocket carry it also.

k4swb

Look at Remora or Sticky holster for IWB concealed carry.
I use the Remora with an LC9s and the wife uses a Sticky for a Security 9.

Before I tried either, I never thought this type of holster would work but they do, and very very well.

They stick like glue but can be shifted slightly if they start to bother you in a certain spot.

I suffer from severe back/hip pain and I can carry mine all day without any problem.

Erno86

It's probably like a problem that I and some people had when they keep there wallet in there same back hip pocket for a long time --- which brought on hip pain for me --- until I shifted (wallet talectomy) my wallet to another pocket for awhile --- but not forever.

Nathan

Unfortunately the IWB/OWB convertible kydex I bought is VERY uncomfortable as it's not flush against my side, and is painful no matter what "o'clock" it's at.

That has been my experience too. If comfort is my driver, I find an OWB pancake at about 20-30 deg cant to be the best for comfort. Lookup Warbird leather...or just email him.....paul@warbirdleather.com

rcu316

I’m in the same boat, I sure can’t do Kydex. The Alien Gear keeps working my underwear down! I pretty much have to OWB.

Stubert

I've been carrying a Colt Defender in an Alien gear IWB for a couple of years now. I also sometimes carry a Colt Mustang in a Cross breed mini tuck. I have no issues, in fact when I am not wearing it, I feel like I am missing something. I wear them both at 4:00. It did take a couple of weeks to get used to them and break them in.

T. O'Heir

No hip holster is going to fix or alter your hip pain in any way. A shoulder holster, despite the assorted disadvantages, will at least get the weight(all 17.8 ounces) off your hip.
Ankle carry is a really bad place for any handgun, but worse if one's hip is damaged or arthritic.

I dislike IWB and prefer holsters on the pants belt. If you have hip trouble, consider a shoulder rig. It's slower, but there's nothing weighing on the hip.

chris in va

The P365 is not 17oz. Nobody carries around an empty gun. A full 13 rounds on board is nearly 6oz, plus the weight of the mag, so around 25oz.

peterg7

Steel core belt and OWB, I prefer safariland kydex with a clip on.

My hip pain occurs from IWB when the gun barrel digs into the bone, so with above mentioned rig I get the gun out from my body and the belt doesn’t sag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BigBL87

I use a Raw Dog Tactical holster for my Shield, which is a single clip hybrid. Far more comfortable than any kydex holster I've tried. Alien Gear and other two clip hybrids are very comfortable in my experience but they can be annoying to take off and put back on, which with all of the GFZs you have to deal with in Illinois does matter to me. The Raw Dog Tactical holster is almost as comfortable as the two clips but much easier to put on and take off.

azretired

From years & years of carrying a pistol at 3:30-4 off duty and on with chairs and bucket seats pressing it into my sides I have Sciatic nerve damage to the point I can't carry anywhere from 3:30 to 6. pain from lower back down to my right knee. So, I generally pocket carry a J-frame. sometime AIWB and during cooler weather I also use an Upside Shoulder Holster. I can use an OWB at 3-2:30, great at the range but not very concealable for me.

Gino

Sounds like you need a new gun/holster combo. Sorry, but it sounds like you are trying to force fit this gun into a place it "doesn't belong". I pocket carry a J-frame and a Ruger LCPII. I'd recommend trying both.

gnystrom

Twenty-five years ago I had my first hip replaced at 50, the other side two years later, the first one was redone after 22 years and now waiting to see how long the original one in my right side will go without a re-do.
BTW, Get your hips checked out. The surgery today is nearly outpatient and you will kick yourself for not having it done sooner.

All that said, I am an RSO and instructor and depending on the size of the holster I will also incur some slight pain in the hip area especially with a pancake holster full of 686 Revolver.
I now also carry a P365 and any pain or aches is minimized with a good solid gunbelt. I buy reinforced belts from A better belt USA Don't fool around and spend the money for a good dedicated belt.
For OWB carry at work I found Winthrop Holsters and Don Hume make good products at a very reasonable price. Not being sure if a pancake style would work, I did not want to dump a lot of money and I hade one of the first Sig's so my choices were limited. Both of these carried just above my hipline work perfectly with no pain at all.
IWB, I first bought a Garrett's Silent Thunder GT which works great but then I stumbled into a Vedders LightTuck WITH CLAW and this baby is perfect....
But I find it best when used with appendix style carry which I have been doing for nearly one year. I am 6'3" and 200 # so this allows me a lot of adjustments for height and cant and after a couple of days of getting used to that method, I am hooked, plus I can now draw from a seated position which is a huge advantage.

Good luck to you,

20180819_101104.jpg