IWB and the Tactical Muffintop

Cosmodragoon

No, I'm not talking about the tactical advantages of a delightfully voluptuous woman. This is for all the robust men out there who don't necessarily have a spare tire or a Dunlap, but do have a little extra above the belt. Depending on the holster, placement, orientation, and shape at the back of the gun; this can either be excellent for concealment or very uncomfortable.

If you've got this body type and you carry IWB, what have been your experiences? Have you found particular guns uncomfortable? Have certain guns or holsters been especially good?

USNRet93

No, I'm not talking about the tactical advantages of a delightfully voluptuous woman. This is for all the robust men out there who don't necessarily have a spare tire or a Dunlap, but do have a little extra above the belt. Depending on the holster, placement, orientation, and shape at the back of the gun; this can either be excellent for concealment or very uncomfortable.

If you've got this body type and you carry IWB, what have been your experiences? Have you found particular guns uncomfortable? Have certain guns or holsters been especially good?
I are a muffin top and I use Raven Vanguard on a really good belt and carry at about 2:45...HA..just in front of my RH hip bone, canted forward a little bit. If I carry appendix, my 'muffin top' pushes the grip forward..printing..on the side at 2:45, it doesn't.

Glock 26 with Glock 19 magazine.

jr24

My "muffin top" has been rapidly shrinking over the past 6 months but it still has a small presence.

My setup still works, but when I had more of one I found my ideal spot for comfort and concealment was right at 2 o'clock IWB with a forward cant. It put the grip of the gun in the hollow between the center of my belly and the beginning of my love handles (which due to shape and my posture made 4 o'clock carry impossible without ludicrous printing). The forward cant made the holster of larger guns ride along my hip and not point at anything vital and not dig into my leg when sitting.

As I grow slimmer I've found I'm gravitating more towards a more classic 1 o'clock AIWB, just as the body type changes that's where comfort seems to be going. I'm less concerned about AIWB than some because I either a)carry a 1911 with thumb safety or b) put the gun in the holster off the body, then clip to belt.

Rockrivr1

All about the IWB holster and not really the gun itself. I carry more then a few extra pounds, but do well with an IWB holster sitting in the 4-5 oclock position. For me I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. I've tried many different holsters and this one is the best out of all I've tried.

BourbonCowboy

As a fat guy (6' 230 lbs), I like to carry in the small of my back. I've found three options that I really like:

1. T-Rex sidecar. It's a great option if I want an extra mag. The width spreads the extra weight around and I really don't notice it that much. It's also a great option if I know that I will be sitting a lot. This was important last year, as I was an educational administrator and CSSO (Commissioned School Security Officer) and carried every day at work.

2. White Hat MaxClip. It has all the same advantages of the Sidecar except for the extra mag option. It's got the "FBI cant" which I like, and is my EDC rig with my HK VP9sk (or VP9). So far, it's been the most comfortable holster that I've found.

3. Berne Echo One One jacket. https://bernedirect.com/collections/mens-ccw/products/ccwj09 This is an off-body solution that works well in the winter (Berne calls it lighweight, but it's heavy enough for Southern winters.) The only problem is that you will need to buy an additional holster that will work with the MOLLE system in the concealment pocket.

URIT

I EDC a compact size (3.5" barrel) S&W model 3953 in a clip-on open-top leather IWB holster positioned just in front of my hip bone on a good gun belt. The draw from a bladed self defense stance works well with this set-up.

This rig allows me to adjust the comfort (cant) by reaching in my pocket when I'm out and about. The clip-on IWB holster allows for a quick grab and go and an easy change from one side to the other when needed.

During the hot, humid coastal NC summers, I wear a wife-beater (sleeveless) t-shirt under a longer cut short sleeve t-shirt (Lands End Super T) and cargo pants. I have no concerns about printing.

Wag

I'm about 35 or 40 lbs overweight. I carry a full-size 92FS IWB using a belly band. If I keep it canted a bit forward and just in front of 3:00, I don't have any issues with printing or comfort. Requires a good, drapey shirt of course.

--Wag--