Ivory grips for Smith & wesson 500

K-frame round butt grips fit the X-frames. Don't know who would make specfically what you want, but some of the custom makers could. I'd be careful of what material you use, as the recoil is going to stress anything not tough enough, and real ivory would probably crack on the first shot. Recommended for display only with guns of that magnitude of recoil.

ohen cepel

Ivory will be pricey and as mentioned, could turn to broken shards after a few shots. I wouldn't go that route unless I won the lottery.

Jack19

There is a lot of legal ivory around. And if you can't find it, there's always Mastodon and Mammoth ivory which is not regulated by the bunny huggers.

That said, I wouldn't use ivory in that application.

Ivory requires VERY specific humidity and treatment to remain in good condition. And, it's not forgiving enough to stand up to the kind of punishment that the 500 will offer.

Take Ohen's advice.

Last edited:

Niner4Tango

X Frame grips are the same as K and L frame, right? There are a lot of grips for the K/L round butt.

Altamont does list a K round to square conversion Target grip for K frames in bonded ivory. They have scrimshaw, too.

Collinscraftgrips sells a white Corian, that should be as tough as nails.

Grant D

This is a set of Eagle Grips on my K frame round butt model 66 2 1/2"

Attachments

• 66 IVORY GRIPS_crop.jpg
    66 IVORY GRIPS_crop.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 47

x-five

I'm not shooting the 500 magnum, but the 500 special. The 500 magnum is just for special occasions, so the ivory will last pretty much okay, I think. Bought the Smith & Wesson 500 4' inch just for good looks of the gun itself and of course because of it's notoriety.

TATER

The wife got Ivory on Her Colt Mustang for Christmas....go here.

http://www.nutmegsports.com

ColtMustang.jpg

Last edited:
Ivory isn't THAT fragile, but the stresspoints on a revolver frame (mostly the shoulders at the top, and the "pin" that secures the bottom of the panels) can get shocked pretty hard upon recoil from even .357's or .44 specials. I had a pair that I thought fit quite well on a .44 spec and I got some light stress cracks at the top, and chunk out of the bottom of the grip at the pin hole (took out a chunk at the bottom directly below the pin, barely noticeable). I'd still recommend synthetic if being fired, or the real stuff for display or firing light loads.

TATER

I would also reconsider the use of a solid grip, Unless you have tried and liked the Tingle!
I can tell you that my .480 and Walnut was not comfortable at all. After 2 shots the rubber went back on.:eek:

TennJed

I have a pair of holly wood grips on one of my Ruger SAs. It has the look of Ivory and is wood (not plastic). That might be a good alternative for you

These are the pair I bought

DSC09701.JPG

Not ivory, but these K-frame, Thailand hardwood (cocobolo?) grips were put on my .500 snub for fun, but I do not fire full house loads. Currently, 385gr. JHP's clocked at 1120fps is enough for me, and five rounds from the gun with these grips leaves the web of the hand bleeding if I don't hold it just right. Shooting gloves would attenuate that, as would substituting the rubber grips. Just wanted to show that just about any K-round butt grips will work. ...........................................................................
DSC05273.jpg
[/IMG]