Iver Johnson Uberti .44 Magnum

Doc Hoy

It arrived today. Here are initial photos and description.

Revolver is exactly as described in the Gunbroker listing.

Pistol has been fired but is well cared for. Bore is like a mirror. Screw heads indicate it has been disassembled at least once.

The owner tried to dress up the trigger screw but could have done a better job. Case Hardened finish on the receiver is excellent. Cylinder and barrel are blued and will improve with some refinishing.

My intention is to smooth it up just as I did the Geroco from a previous thread.

Grips are dinged up but I can handle that.

The operation is just as described. The hammer will not remain in the half cock position.

I will post additional photos of the disassembled revolver.

Doc Hoy

Some days the gods smile upon us....

I am sure you are all well aware that I am a devoted sinner. There is no reason for the lord to cut me any slack. But I think that may have happened today.

When I took the revolver apart to try to figure out what was wrong, this little shaft fell out of it.

This shaft is completely unrecognizable to me. It is about an inch and a quarter long and 3/32 in diameter. I don't think it comes from this revolver. I have no clue where it came from our how it got into this revolver.

So I continued taking the revolver apart to find that the internals are in pristine condition.

No problems with the hammer, the hand, the trigger or bolt.

So I put the revolver back together (leaving out the foreign object) and it works like a champ.

So for 175.00 plus 20.00 shipping plus 30.00 FFL I got a shooting revolver.

And I just had to brag about it.

Last edited:

sltm1

Excellent purchase!! Plus you have a spare part, should you ever find out what that's from and then need one LOL.

Doc Hoy

SLTM....

I am hoping it is from a Remington rolling block carbine in .45-70. Since I already have this part, I can just buy the rest of the parts for the rifle, then put it together and I'll have a rifle I have been wanting for a while.

Hawg

Well... This was back in...
...1974. That's when we were both just little kids.

I was 17 in 74 until Dec. when I turned 18. Not exactly a little kid. A young punk yeah.:eek:

g.willikers

Wotta' Deal.
We've all heard of having parts left over after reassembly, but extra parts in the gun is something new.
Nice find, you young whippersnapper.

Doc Hoy

Hawg and G.

Hawg,

I was a young punk too (at age 24.)

G.,

I am going to keep buying up these used handguns in the hopes of getting enough spare parts to make an 1873 Winchester.

bedbugbilly

Doc - kind of reminds me of when I covered teaching a couple of classes for a friend of mine - his small engine class. Two teachers were taking it - night class - they had to tear down and rebuild a 4 cycle engine. I couldn't help myself . . . I "just happened" to toss in a couple of extra parts into the coffee can they had put their parts in. What I didn't know was my friend (whose class it was) had done the same thing. Imagine the two teacher's surprise when they got their engine back together, it actually ran but they still had all these parts that they couldn't figure out where they were supposed to go. :D

Sure makes you wonder how and where that pin came from and how it got in there . . . glad it all worked out though. Looks like it will be a nice revolver.

Sooooooo . . . when is your better half setting up the intervention and getting you into a rehab program for your addiction? :D

Doc Hoy

BBB...

Craziest thing.

When we were at the Kittery Trading Post, I was looking at that Dakota revolver, she told me to go buy it. I was the one holding back. She won't go to gun shows but she is surprised when I don't come home with a new toy.

mykeal

By any chance did you buy a lot of Cracker Jacks when you were just a lad?

(Don't try to tell me they didn't have them - they started in 1896, my second senior year in high school....)

Doc Hoy

Mykeal and Birch

Mykeal,

Indeed, Cracker Jacks was the source of the engagement ring I gave to my first (and thankfully "ex") wife. Prolly why the marriage went south so quick.

Birch,

Thanks

blfuller

The pin probably goes up into the hammer to actuate the safety block mechanism just below the firing pin. That little piece of metal that is pinned below the firing pin fits into a recess in the frame. If the block is rotated downward, it cannot fit into the frame recess and prevents the firing pin from hitting the primer. Look in the notches for the hammer where the trigger engages, one of the notches will likely have a hole in it for that pin. Look on the internet for an exploded view of the Uberti Colt hammer with safety.

Lots of people were replacing this type of hammer with one's that do not have this feature to be more authentic.

Last edited:

blfuller

The pin is item 150 on the exploded view below. You will probably need to remove pin 151 to put it back in place.
sacattlemannewmodelquickdraw44magschematic600x600_1.jpg

Last edited: