iver johnson "hercules smokeless" pat.1915

deadeye

I just inherited this 12 ga from my granfather and was wondering what its reputation is. I know it isn't a world class gun, but it is just great for rabbits. Does anyone know its story?

James K

Member In Memoriam
By that date the barrel(s) would probably be solid steel rather than Damascus. Still, I would have a competent gunsmith check it out. Have the chamber length checked also. If it is not Damascus, if it chambers 2 3/4" shells, if the barrels are not rusted inside, if nothing is broken, if it locks up solidly, you should be able to shoot it with standard low (target) velocity shells. Do NOT use 2 3/4" Magnum loads. IJs were no Parkers, but they were not a bad gun and lots of them are still shooting. (Maybe tie it to a tire and fire a few test shots just to make sure it is safe.)

As to price, I am afraid its sentimental value far outweighs its dollar value, which I think would be less than $100 in even good condition.

Harley Nolden

Staff In Memoriam
According to my records the Hercules Grade Iver Johnson was made in 12, 16, 20, 28, or .410 ga is a double barrel 26-32" barrels, hammerless, boxlock with various chokes, extractors and double triggers were standard. Checkered pistol grip or straight stock. It was Mfg's from 1918-1943.

According the the Blue Book of gun values 17th edition the value @100%=$600.00 being reduced to 60%=$290.00.
add $100.00 for auto ejectors
$100.00 for SST
10% for 16ga
20% for 20ga
200% for 28ga
100% for .410,ga
Some of these shotguns were made with false side plates. Some were made with double or Miller single triggers. An extra for this shotgun was a Jostam Anti-Flinch Recoul pad Lyman ivory sights at extra cost. Although the mfg date indicate being discontinued in
1943, there were some made until 1946.

Hope this is of help to you

HJN

------------------

deadeye

Yes indeed, I never really paid attention to the ivory sights, checkered pistol grip and double triggers. I have no idea about the false side plate(s). What should I look for , and is a detriment? The gun works just fine, one barrell being choked, one open I believe.