Iver Johnson Eagle LR 1911 45acp

smee78

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about picking up another 1911 but this time i'm looking at getting one a little bit different, I'm looking at the Iver Johnson Eagle LR 1911 in 45acp. I dont have any with a rail, and plan on installing a Sig threaded barrel I have so I can run my suppersor on it. Please skip all the 1911's should not have rails please, I'm not interested. I would like to know if anyone has any experence with the Iver Johnson 1911's? I know of the old business but havent seen to much on the new company, most of what I have found has been positive, but does anyone have any first hand experence, shot one? My LGS has one I have had my eye on for a while and I can get it for $550 out the door. Thanks everyone for your replies.

P71pilot

IverIver Johnson I believe nowadays only puts their name on guns, they don't actually manufacture anything, especially probably a 1911. I would bet their 1911 is a phillipino example. Probably armscor or Rock island made. Should be a decent cheap 1911 bug I would almost rather go with Rock Island brand as they make everything they sell and have a good customer service track record, and are serious about reliability and accuracy for the price you pay.

gyvel

Rock Island is the trade name for Armscor guns in the U.S. Armscor also makes Iver Johnson as well as several other guns marketed here.

Armscor has a very large state of the art facility on Luzon.

Correction edit: I was incorrect. Armscor does NOT make Iver Johnson pistols. They are made by Shooters Arms in Mandaue, a part of metro Cebu City area on Cebu Island.

Last edited:

smee78

Yep, they are imported but it seems like alot of the phillipino guns are doing quite well. I believe these are made by SAM, they have been around long enough and have a good record.

The example I handled was well built and the slide to frame was tight and felt good.

RickB

Pretty sure Iver Johnson's 1911s are made by S.A.M., and not Armscor.
I think "American Classic" and "Metro Arms" are the names most associated with S.A.M. in the U.S.

gyvel

You are right, I was wrong. Ivers are made by Shooters Arms, not Armscor.

Shooters Arms is located in Cebu City on Cebu, and I'm not sure who is importing them, although I believe the ATIs are Shooters Arms. I had a chance to examine some of their other items in their outlet stores, and they are definitely slightly better than Armscors in terms of finish.

Metro is a third company that operates out of Parañaque City, which is part of Manila. Eagle is the importer, and the models include the American Classic.

RickB said:
Pretty sure Iver Johnson's 1911s are made by S.A.M., and not Armscor.
I think "American Classic" and "Metro Arms" are the names most associated with S.A.M. in the U.S.
Metro Arms is the third (and newest) of the "big three" 1911 makes in the Philippines. They are NOT Shooters Arms, which is a company that's almost as old as Armscor. American Classic is the name Eagle Imports puts on Metro Arms pistols they import into the U.S. They are completely unrelated to S.A.M.

I have shot an Iver Johnson, and I thought it was a good gun. In fact, I managed to shoot the same pistol that was once reviewed by M1911.org, here:
http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?167-Iver-Johnson-Thrasher

Here's another Iver Johnson review, written by a friend of mine (may he rest in peace):
http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?30-Iver-Johnson-Trojan-review

They are made by S.A.M.

Last edited:

smee78

Thanks for sharing the reviews, I really enjoyed them. I think I will need to go and look this pistol over again to make my decision but I think I already know the anwser.

gyvel

Thanks for sharing the reviews, I really enjoyed them. I think I will need to go and look this pistol over again to make my decision but I think I already know the anwser.

For functional reliability, you could do a lot worse.