Iver Johnson .32

publius

Just got an Iver Johnson break top .32 short in the mail from auction. The cylinder spins freely when the pistol is closed in firing condition. When it is cocked in single action it locks up correctly w/the cylinder hole lined up with the barrel. also ends up correctly lined up after pulling the trigger double action. This can't be right can it?

Put this in C&R instead of smithy b/c i thought I would be more likely nto get a knowledgeable answer here.

gyvel

Post the serial number (just "x" out the last one or two digits if you prefer), which will allow someone to see which model it is. Some IJs did not have a cylinder stop when the hammer was at rest.

RJay

The serial number is located under the left grip, the number under the trigger guard is not the definite number. And yes it was normal for the cylinder not to lock up until it was cocked. Iver Johnson's were not the only one with free spinning cylinders, many of the earlier inexpensive revolvers were build that way.

publius

Thank you RJ, I will get the serial this afternoon. Seems a little unsafe, not being able to leave the hammer on an empty hole.

Tidewater_Kid

Please remember that based on the serial number you provide it may not be safe to shoot with smokeless powder. Most of the older Ivers are collectors only.

TK