I've never been bitten by the Glock bug

stevieboy

I don't own a Glock. I've fired them. They're ok. In my opinion, the trigger is a bit mushy, the grip angle a bit too upright, and as for accuracy, well they're certainly more accurate than I am, but that ain't sayin' much. Which is to say that I'm indifferent to them. I don't own one, have no intention of buying one, and don't feel bereft for not having one.

Now, I know that there are many, many of you who LOVE Glocks. That's evident by the fact that just about every gun store I've been too has a whole shelf filled with 'em, by all of the articles about Glocks that appear in gun magazines (lately, there have been a bunch of articles about the new, tackier grips that Glock's put on their guns), and by the huge volume of posts that show up on this and other forums about Glocks.

What I'd like is for you Glock owners and lovers to explain to me what attracts or attracted you to the gun. What is it about it that you love? Price? Reliability? Ease of operation? Accuracy? Style? Ergonomics? Please educate me. Because, truly, the things leave me cold and I'm wondering why I'm the odd man out.

B18C5-EH2

stevieboy said:
What I'd like is for you Glock owners and lovers to explain to me what attracts or attracted you to the gun. What is it about it that you love? Price? Reliability? Ease of operation? Accuracy? Style? Ergonomics? Please educate me. Because, truly, the things leave me cold and I'm wondering why I'm the odd man out.

Yeah you pretty much answered for me.

I live in GA so around here Glocks are very abundant, and very well thought of seeing as how most/all law enforcement around here carries them as standard issue.

I'm 30 and last year when I decided that I needed a firearm to protect myself after a series of violent robberies near my work I did some research, and I asked some different guys at a few different gun stores. The resounding answer for the question of:

"What is a cheap, low maintenance, and most of all reliable semi-automatic pistol that is also pretty lightweight for it's size?"

...and the answer was almost always Glock.

Some people label them hideous, but I kind of like the look of my G39. I happened upon a great deal on my G39 for $435.00 + tax and it already had Trijicon night sights on it. It was labeled "used" but looked to have been rarely/ever fired according to anyone I asked when they looked at it.

G391PearceEXT1.jpg

...but now I've since gotten bitten by the Kahr Ams bug as they are just much easier/more comfy to conceal/carry:

IMG_5003-Copy.jpg

:) Time will tell if I sell the G39 for a Kahr PM45 or P40 :)

sserdlihc

I have recently gotten the bug. Been looking at the 26 for my ccw. I still haven't made up my mind yet. I like the XDsc aswell and seems to fit my hand. But I haven't ruled out the 26.

NWCP

I've never been tempted to own a Glock. I don't like the trigger, or the grip. Lots of shooters out there swear by them. To each their own. I think the low price is a big factor in so many owners decision to get one. They seem to be a dime a dozen these days.

laytonj1

I think the low price is a big factor in so many owners decision to get one. They seem to be a dime a dozen these days.
I'm not so sure I'd call $500 cheap or a dime a dozen, but I bought mine because of it's simplicity. No safety, super easy to strip and clean and it has never had a malfunction (knock on wood).
As far as looks or grip angle... I did not buy it for a target gun or safe queen.

Jim

GlennP226

I bought my 1st Glock back in 1995. It was the full-sized 10mm (Mod 20) I bought it because of all the good things I had read about Glock and for the 10mm round. The factory sights were a bit off, and I did not like that they were plastic, so I put some Trijicon night sights on it. It was accurate and really fast! The slide is so low in the hand that it kicks almost straight back with little muzzle rise. Te result was I could stay on target and fire follow-up shots better with a Glock than with anything else. I did find the grip too wide for me, so I put a hogue grip sleeve on it and that helped me get a better grip, it was still too big for my smallish hands. It was a good gun, jammed a few times, certainly not perfect, but very good. I have since owned 2 more Glocks, .40 calibers, and they were okay too. They fit my hands better with their smaller frames. I carry a kel-tec P3AT all the time, Thanks to Glock for popularizing the polymer frame! Most recently, I had the opportunity to buy another full sized pistol, and my 1st impulse was to get another Glock. I just happened to find a great deal on a SIG P226. The SIG fits my hand better than anything I have ever shot. But I would not hesitate to buy another Glock in the future. I do think the little stubby Glocks designed for concealed carry are too thick and clunky, but I have only handled them, never fired one.

Ricky

Glock Bug

I've owned a Glock Model 22 (full size .40) for maybe 13 years or so. I've shot Action Pistol with it (once) and held my own against all but the most seasoned competitors with their full on race guns.
My Glock isn't "Man Jewelry" like my Colt Commander but the accuracy is almost as good. It has twice the ammo capacity of my Colt. It has proven itself to be very reliable ( maybe 4k rounds and no failures) It is much simpler to take down and clean than my Colt. "Stupid Simple" operation, My wife can operate it and I only get her to shoot about once a year. I don't have any trouble with the grip. or the angle of it and while I'm at it, The .40 does NOT have harsher recoil that a .45!
It isn't pretty, it's a tool but it does what it was designed to do very well.

Cornhusker77

I was like you, never saw the attraction of a Glock.
Then I traded a couple Hi Point pistols for a Glock 32.
I shot it some and still didn't see the attraction, but after a while, the more I shot it, the better it handled and the better I shot with it.
I own a lot of guns, and while the Glock may not be my favorite, it's one of 2 pistols I'd grab if I had to head for the back country in a hurry.
Bottom line is: I trust it, I can hit what I'm shooting at, it has plenty of knock down power and Glocks are rugged.

B18C5-EH2

BTW:

I may have chosen a "cookie cutter" brand in Glock, but how many Glock 39s do you see around?

Many times even "Glock guys" have no idea what the 39 is. They often correct me and cite some other model number like "don't you mean 36?"

:)

I love the .45 GAP round. I can buy 250 rounds of Speer Gold Dot JHP 200gr. for just $79.00!!!

45GAPSpeerJPG.jpg

45GAPSpeer2JPG.jpg

Just for fun I thought I'd compare the .45 GAP to the 9mm Luger - can you tell which is which?

45GAPv9mmLuger1JPG.jpg

45GAPv9mmLuger2JPG.jpg

45GAPv9mmLuger4JPG.jpg

I carry 230gr Federal Hydrashocks in the Glock 39.

I simply love shooting the 39. I practiced one handed, and even one handed off hand (it was interesting) on my last trip to the range. My friends who are admittedly not Glock fans love shooting my G39. While it's far from a range queen it does right by me, and I know if ever I have to employ it to save my life it will do its part so long as I do mine.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I would categorize myself as a Glock owner but not really a Glock lover. I have other pistols that I like more.

I bought my first Glock because I wanted a 10mm and Glock was about the only game in town at the time. Prior to that I had been more than slightly disenchanted with Glocks due to the plastic and the "twangy"/"sproingy" feel to the trigger when dry-fired.

I took the gun home that night and figured out how to detail strip it. I was impressed enough with the design that I went back the next day and bought a 9mm Glock so I'd have something cheaper to shoot than the 10mm.

gglass

I used to own two Glocks. Quite some years ago, Glock had a corner on the polymer market so I had little choice as to which "P" gun to get.

Fast forward to the last decade... I have long since rid myself of my Glocks. Why? I came to realize as new products hit the market, that I did not have to put up with the "brick in hand" feel, and the proprietary sights just to have a light weight polymer pistol. I now own five M&P's as my polymer family and will not likely return to the Glock camp anytime soon.

P.s. I did try out three of the new Gen4 Glocks last week at my local dealer just to see if my perspective of Glock would change. It did not change for the better, and it actually became worse. Not only does the Gen4 retain that "brick in hand" feel... It is actually worse with the prickly texture. Now it just feels like holding a brick shaped cactus. Now that's perfection!

Last edited:

Crosshair

9mm Glocks...

Reliable, simple, corrosion resistant, durable.

You can say the same thing about half a dozen other guns.

Personally, my favorite 9mm is the Ruger P89. Field stripping that makes the Glock look like a light water reactor.

jborushko

i owned one G19. not a fan. i dont like the grip angle. and had to force my hand to aim it proper... much prefer the 1911.

accurate? sure
reliable? absolutly
cheap? hey $500 for a new gun is sweet! i wish my "nice" 1911 cost $500 new.

i've shot various other sizes and caliber glocks... meh

sold it... and i dont hardly ever sell guns... ha ha just the ones i dont like!

madmag

What I'd like is for you Glock owners and lovers to explain to me what attracts or attracted you to the gun.

Not sure about the lover part. I was looking for a compact to sub-compact .45ACP. I ended up with the G36.
There are some other choices in that size, but I liked the Glock best. So far so good.

Size was my drivng factor, but now I have to say I like my Glock more than I thought I would. Why? No big things. I like the low bore axis, it's seems very smooth in chambering rounds, recoil is high but muzzle flip does not seem bad for such a light weight pistol.

Having said that, I would not hesitate to add a different brand to my collection next time around.

Stevie-Ray

Price? Reliability? Ease of operation? Accuracy? Style? Ergonomics?
Yes

Actually my first Glock was a replacement for something I was loathing, a Taurus PT-111. I bought a 26 and never even missed a beat getting rid of the Taurus. The G26 was better at everything except being thin.:D

My other Glock, a 29 was bought as a replacement for my woods/vacation gun, a Colt Delta Elite. Unlike the Taurus, I love the Delta. So much so, that I decided to give it a semi-retirement to keep it lovely. The ugly as butt Glock wouldn't mind so much knocking around in the woods, and character marks would probably only serve to improve it's looks. It's also smaller and packs better than a full-sized 1911. My Double-Tap loads don't seem to bother it much, and I feel secure when carrying it.

I don't think Glocks are for everybody. Strange grip-angle for some, too ugly for others, too fat for yet others. Whatever. I don't think they're the be-all end-all of pistols, they just happen to be for me, at times, and I doubt I'm done buying them.

condition_ONE

Glocks are popular because they're inexpensive. Inexpensive to maintain and inexpensive to operate.

There are plenty of firearms that are just as accurate, or more accurate. Plenty that are just as reliable. But due to economy of scale Glocks are less expensive to own for large agencies and easier to take care of by their armorers.

It's reasons like this that the U.S. Army doesn't just randomly decide to change calibers for it's weapons or adopt a new pistol to use every decade or so. Police departments (as an example) have a little more flexibility in that their organizations are smaller so they can change more frequently and still do it economically. This is why a large number of law enforcement agencies have Glocks. That, and the huge financial incentives that Glock gives to the departments.

Opinion piece:

Glocks are the front wheel drives of the automatic pistol world. They may not be at the bleeding edge performance wise (although some shooters like Jessie Abbate would argue otherwise lol) but they're simple and easy to use.

Just like the auto racing world usually uses rear wheel drive cars for the highest of the high performance spectrum, the most capable guns on the planet are SAO style weapons. Nobody uses a FWD car when they have the option for a RWD car, cost no object. Generally (unless they're sponsored by Glock) few people choose a Glock over an SAO gun if it's their money they're spending, and cost isn't a factor. Once you add cost, that's a different story. And that's why you have Glocks.