I've got the yips

rcollier

I have been shooting all summer in prep for my first rifle hunt.
Last weekend I went out to the range, settled in to a comfortable position at the bench, got my breathing relaxed and squeezed off a round. Hit right where I wanted 1.5" high dead center at 100yds (25-06 117 gr Hornaday)
The next two shots were touching. Great!!
Waited 15 minutes to put more down range and everything went south
Poor placement, inconsistent grouping, the harder I tried to relax the worse I seemed to shoot. I felt I was flinching
My trip is a week away. How do I break this?

CarJunkieLS1

It was your excitement and your nerves got the best of you...

Just do your best to stay calm and think about the fundamentals. A good drill at the range is to have a friend load the rifle and slip a dummy round in the mag and you not know where it is. That will tell you if you flinch.

CarJunkieLS1

Also don't think about relaxing too much let it come natural. You got this you've put in the work and range time now just go do it.

1stmar

One thing that helps me, is focusing on the cross hairs almost to the point where I am zoned out. Trigger squeeze becomes sub conscious and the break is a surprise. Lastly, follow through, stay with the scope, try to see the shot hit the target.

Boogershooter

I agree with 1stMar with focusing on the trigger but not sure bout the follow thru. I've never seen my 25-06 impact the target. His gun may b alot heavier than mine tho. The trigger break should always come as a surprise if you apply a very slow pull. That can truly only b learned after you have learned to control breathing or eliminate any movement of the crosshairs. It does not good for it to surprise you if your crosshairs or dot is floating around the target.

Mobuck

I had a similar problem last year. I usually shoot a fair amount immediately prior to deer season but didn't in 2014 due to a number of problems. It definitely showed up the first few days of hunting. I just wasn't doing my part. A change of rifle and some personal butt kicking solved most of the issues.
My only suggestion at this late date is shoot your "practice rifle" (everyone has a hunting rifle clone in 22lr, don't they?) until you run out of "yips".

T. O'Heir

Take a piece of 8 x 11 paper and write 'Hornady' 500 times(snicker) and forget about shooting for a while.
Then shoot at a 9" pie plate, off hand, at 100. If you can hit it, every time, you're ready and there's nothing to break.
For deer hunting, only the first shot matters. Bambi won't be waiting for you to assume a comfortable position on a bench.

Erno86

Follow thru with your trigger finger --- bury that finger in the rear of the trigger guard. As an example...aim an dry fire a pistol --- follow thru with your trigger finger --- See how the sights are steady. Now do the opposite...let off your trigger finger off the trigger as soon as the sear breaks --- See how the sights move?

This link has helped me immensely in the art of shooting:

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2015/3/23/the-zen-of-shooting

Good luck

1stmar

Boogershooter for clarity my point about follow through was really about closing your eyes. Try to see the bullet hit the target, likely won't but maintain your sight through the shot as if you were going to watch the bullet hit the target. You should see the scope rise.

twister

When I get like that, I shoot a few rounds with both eyes open. Works for me.
If you try it, you will be surprised. ...

skizzums

just the fact that you are smart enough and mature enough to come here and say an inaccuracy was YOUR fault shows know more than a lot of us. I would be trying to figure out why my barrel got so hot so fast, or why is my scope broken, can a manufacturer not consistently fill a case????? things like that...... "MY FAULT" is only reserved for a special last resort after I spend a couple hundred on a different weight bullet.

rcollier

Thanks for all the great advice!!!
As far as maturity to recognize it is the shooter and not the equipment, I am a poor enough marksman to know most of the time it is me:D

rcollier

Went back out today and put the advice to the test.
Opening both eyes and squeezing the trigger all the way back and anchoring it to the trigger guard were the ticket.
5 of 6 shots in the center ring!!!
I am off to Ontario for my first center fire whitetail hunt......more to follow.

briandg

Just a tip. No coffee, red bull, mountain dew, or any other physically altering products. You could even go so far as to take a mildly sedating product or a glass of warm milk. Some serious shooters will take beta blocker drugs. to suppress the pulse.

I hope that I can say this without being flamed, but I shoot alone, and sometimes I used to have a beer before starting, as I have always spent a lot of time sucking down coffee. I am also on a couple meds that cause shakes, and again, sometimes all it takes is a single beer to shut down the tremors that I sometimes get from say, my asthma medication.

I am not suggesting that. Maybe a benadryl, or other mildly sedating drug, such as even a small dose of valium or zanax could suppress any tremor or vibration to the point that it may make the difference between scattering and grouping.

rcollier

Brian
I am in agreement with no caffeine etc. I will not judge anyone on their choice but I would not be comfortable with using any type of sedative in combination with a fire arm.
Thanks for the thought though

skizzums

although it may be just a rumor, I have oft heard of nipper's and competition shooters taking small doses of valium or similar benzodiazepines to control shakes. a beer? I dunno, I don't drink and haven't in 10 years, but helping with tremors, it's the effect on the GABA activity that benzo's make for a calming effect and alcohol is in this same classification of drugs(depressant). so probably not too far off base.

WCWV

Sounds to me that you're doing great! That first shot was right where you wanted and that's what you want. One well placed shot is all it takes. When the moment comes you'll be focused right on the spot and make it happen with out even realizing you did. The more confidence you have in your riffle, the better you'll become. That first cold shot is the most important.