I've got a web page now. Feedback?

Brett Bellmore

Hi, guys! (And gals, naturally!) My new ISP offers 5MB of space for a web page, so I'm taking advantage of it, at www.tir.com/~bellmore The page isn't done yet, (I'm still learning HTML.) and I won't be adding pictures of my guns until I've got another chance to borrow the departmental digital camera. But what do you think?

Ed Brunner

Brett; I am trying to learn "how to do"web pages. A friend who does websites told me to get Adobe Page Mill software.
Maybe some of our computer literaries would comment?

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Brett Bellmore

Well, I picked up a copy of "Learn HTML in a weekend". Seems straightforward enough, and came with a CD full of utilities. (Mostly evaluation copies of software, which you'd have to register to keep using.) The book recomends learning to write the langage yourself before using software for automated page creation. Of course, what's it going to say, "Forget this book, and buy XYZ software instead!"? By the way, that site was based on just a couple hours of reading; Didn't have the whole weekend free.

[This message has been edited by Brett Bellmore (edited July 22, 1999).]

John/az2

Brett,

I purchased the same book, and still don't have a page up, but that's not the book's fault! I fit in a page or two when I make the time. I like the way it is written and it works for me!

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..."

Ipecac

I tried Page Mill, but I like Netscape Composer better. With any of the programs like Pagemaker or composer, you will eventually run into a problem you can only correct by going into html. It's easy to pick up, just look at the page source of a good page, and you'll see the html language.

BTW, my page is at: www.ptialaska.net/~ipecac

Most ISPs provide website space; use it to educate or infuriate the antis.

------------------
"The sole end for which mankind are warranted, individually or collectively, in interfering with the liberty of any of their number is self-protection."
John Stuart Mill

Floyd2U

Looks like the start of a good page. Yes, the NRA is rather unprincipled, but will the anti's read it the way we do?

------------------
Join the NRA!!!

Don't use a WYSIWYG (what yo see is what you get editor) they create all sorts of problems.
Keep away from frontpage, netscape composer etc etc they put stuff in your html code that can mess things up and Bill Gates is evil anyway.
You can use notepad if you want to. I use Homesite 4. There are plenty of free text html editors around. Learning html is easy don't be scared off. Learn it properly from the start and you won't waste time learning it later which you will eventually want to do.

------------------
New FREE Gun Auctions at http://www.gun-center.com/auctions.html

Brett Bellmore

Rabit assasin: I'd kind of picked up on the need to use some other image format other than bitmaps; They ARE a bit bulky, aren't they? Unfortunately, the computer I'm using at home has about 3MB free space on the drive, and I can't load the utilities from the disk. (I may load them here at work, instead, and do stuff at lunch.) I'm going to get some of the wedding photos as JPEGs, and ditch that big bitmap then. Know of any utilities for translating BMP to JPG?

try paint shop pro - or just go to any freeware or shareware site like tucows.com and have a look around. There are thousands to choose from.

joegerardi

The way learned to program HTML was to click on View, Page Source of a page I liked. highlight it all, stuck it in Wordpad, printed it, and saw what it did, compared to the page. HTML is pretty self-exlanatory, and now all the pages it write, I do in Wordpad. Drives the clients nuts! They think it's gotta be done in some kind of mystical program. It also created a kind of glossary for HTML stuff that I can refer to.

:) exactly what I did I was too lazy to learn the proper way. But a good text html editor can save you a bit of time because instead of typing <table> </table> etc etc you just click a button. Still pure html but good for the slightly lazy.

I put in table tags before etc etc if that makes more sense. Obviously html tags are turned off.
What you need to learn is PHP, sure your isp wouldn't have it but it's great for those of us that don't like perl. Or should I really say don't understand it.

Ankeny

My two cents worth...I teach Internet technologies at a local high school and we do a lot of work on Web pages and images. Even if Bill Gates is evil, his products are OK. If your ISP uses an NT Server and FrontPage extensions, the added code and proprietary stuff works fine. If your ISP is on a Unix machine and you are using an FTP program then you will want to stick with "pure" HTML. Dreamweaver is a great program if you can afford it...

Microsoft Image Composer is OK too although I use Adobe Photoshop. Anyway, use a .jpg for images and set the resolution to 72 d.p.i. then further reduce the file size by using the lowest acceptable quality. Have fun and I look forward to seeing your finished page, you have a great start.

Rob Pincus

My .02....

I disagree with the idea that people should avoid WYSIWYG page makers. I have seen a lot of good stuff made by beginners with programs like Netscape composer. they are straightforward and they putting up a webpage very simple and quick. 8 years ago, I never would;ve said this. I used to be a real purist.. I hated the idea of Windows and lamented the loss of DOS... I even stuck with DOS primarily until around 1995 or so. Now, I have come to accept that simpler is not necessarily bad. I never would've4 gotten into Web page creation if it werren't for programs like Composer.

Now I use HoTMetaL 4.0 and I love it.. in fact, after I get settled into my new home, I am going to switch over to the latest upgrade.

For those of you who want to go buy a software package and think you get more and more into Web page design, I heartily recommend the HoTMetaL package, it has several viewing modes, including WYSIWYG and pure Code.

------------------
-Essayons

Geared Up!

I just love a good HTML discussion in a gun forum. I'm never surprised (anymore) with the topics discussed here... from daddy diaper changing to .gif conversion. What a divirsified group! Anyway...

I see no problem with using a WYSIWYG program... I've built my entire site (currently 25mb) with FrontPage, and aside from poor hosting provider administration, I've had no problem using it at all. True, you do need basic HTML knowledge every now and then (and more than every now and then if you run script programs), but it has tons of shortcuts. Some people see it as the cheater's way of building a site, but when I can make major changes with click & drag, and a few toolbar commands... I don't mind being a cheater.

Maybe eventually when I have a moment that I can step away from this home grown business, I'll put myself into some web design classes. I'm not one for manuals (I'd much rather bug the people at Tech Support).

Good luck with the web venture! You'll be dreaming in HTML before you know it.

Geri Weaver
"webqueen" of
http://www.geardup.com/gearedup.htm

------------------
BlackHawk Authorized Dealer (BAD) - "Better than catalog" prices & free shipping http://www.geardup.com/gearedup.htm

Brett Bellmore

I probably will switch over to a WYSIWYG HTML editor, once I've learned the ropes. First I want to develop a firm enough grasp of the basics to understand what's going on "under the hood". And convince my fiance that we really do need a new computer; The current one is a 486, 32MB ram, and about 2-4MB space left on the hard drive. I actually have to manually delete the temporary internet files every couple of days to maintain enough space to surf the web! Not much chance of loading new software now; I'd be in trouble even loading my web page to the ISP if I didn't know command line FTP, from the SPARC station I used to work on; There wasn't enough space for the drag and click FTP utility they recomended I download!