I've Figured It Out!

Nightcrawler

My rifle quandry. See, I have a FAL battle rifle. Big and heavy, but cool. I want a FAL carbine, but I also want a main battle rifle.

Why not just buy the FAL carbine and have two? Well, at this time I don't really want two of the same design. I like variety. Also, I'm on a budget, and there's something else I've been meaning to get. I can't believe I hadn't figured this out before now.

Ladies and Gentlemen, my future main battle rifle will be an M1 Garand. Probably get a nice one from someone like Orion 7, with a new barrel and stuff. Better sights than the FAL, feeding devices are even less expensive (and that's saying something with the FAL), beautiful, classic, timeless design, bayonet lug, etc. I can get a load bearing vest (being the gear junkie that I am) designed for the M1 that has four 48-round pouches, which would give me 192 rounds (as opposed to 160 with 8x20rd FAL mags). I'll get a complete GI cleaning kit, correct sling, and I found this company that makes reproduction leather cheekpieces for us lefties. 10" bayonet, and a whole bunch of enbloc clips and I'm ready to go.

Back to the future, as it were.

As for my FAL. I'll get it carbinized, down to 16". It'll have a 38.5" or so overall length. About 2" long than a 16" AR, but the same length as and 18" barreled shotgun. Losing the 5" of barrel will undoubetedly lighten it up some, too. Probably replace the rear sight with a Para Rear Sight from DSA. They make one with a windage knob so you don't have to mess with the screws. Add some Penguin furniture and I'd be all set.

See how nicely that worked out? I can never think of this stuff until I'm really overtired.

As for the gear....no, I"ll probably never have much of a use for it. Oh, well. I don't really "need" a main battle rifle, either, but the way I see it, a serious weapon and appropriate gear go hand in hand, unless you consider it to be just a range toy. And the M1 is certainly a serous rifle in my book....

Visith

Dear Sir, looking at the path this country is going along, you will definately need
your main battle rifle in the future

Nightcrawler

Unforseen complication

I don't have the heart to let them cut my baby.

Hmm. Looks like I'll have to get a second FAL down the road, a 16" carbine. Geez, this is an expensive habit.

Biathlonman

Happen to know a good place to get that M1 Garand Bayonet?

Been looking for one, but haven't been able to located a source for them.

Benjamin

can get a load bearing vest (being the gear junkie that I am) designed for the M1 that has four 48-round pouches, which would give me 192 rounds

May I humbly suggest that you avoid large bodies of water?

Otherwise - go for it; sounds like you managed to work out the eternal dilemma of garand v. Fal.

Nightcrawler

Hell, I can't swim anyway.

But it's the same thing if you liek to go hiking. You've got a big backpack with a tent, sleeping bag, food, water, etc. in it, you're not going to be very bouyant.

yorec

Genius. Hmmm...

Hey, GREAT idea for a new product! First guy out there who figures out how to make a telescoping barrel is gonna make a mint!

No?

:rolleyes: :D