Its never too late: Boone & Crockett

kraigwy

During the depression not much was thought of buying licenses but when my Grandfather went to a hardware store to by a tag, the clerk said he would give him $50 for the deer before he shot it.

My grandfather had this guy spotted, so he took his Model 94, in 25-35 and harvested it. (I've killed several deer with that same rifle as a kid).

He had it mounted and all while growing up it hung in my grandfather's house as a gun rack. He died in '67 while I was in Vietnam, so my aunt got the deer. It was getting shaggy so it was remounted as shown.

Years later, about 2005 or so, I was visiting and found the rack in the trash. BS, not my Grandfather's deer. I rescued it and its been hanging on my wall since.

My son was eyeballing he rack and said it should make the record book. I said too late now, it was killed in about 1935. Son said it didn't matter so he made an appointment with an official B&C measurement.

We took it in yesterday and found it still could be put in the book. The official measurement is 187 1/8. (it would have been 197 4/8th except for the deduction for the two points that stick out from the side.)

So it goes into the record book, I'll get a plack to display with the rack and when the new book comes out I will pick one up.

Just wish I could get the rifle, my cousin has it. I offered to buy them any rifle of their choice to trade, no deal, her hubby hates me.

But I got the rack and its (going to be) in the record book.

Its never too late for a Boone and Crockett records.

GP%20Stuarts%20deer.JPG

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Great story. I've read of a couple of similar "resurrections" from bucks killed long ago. Always heartwarming because of the memories of the hunter.

Do you know if B&C accepts "found" racks, where the hunter is unknown?