It's just no use....

Nightcrawler

I've been trying and trying to convince myself to stick to a few different cartridges for my guns, both long guns and hand guns. My only handgun currently is a CZ-97B in .45ACP. I had planned on getting a revolver in .44 or .45 Colt, maybe .45ACP, even.

But it's just no use. There are too many other guns I want. I want a Springfield XD-40. I want a Kahr comact (also in .40). I want a CZ-52 in 7.62x25mm Tok.

My father was a logistician for the military by trade. I guess some of that rubbed off on me. Like NATO, I'm trying to standardize my rounds, but it just isn't working. Heh.

Now, if Springfield would make an XD-45, and Kahr would make a Mk 45, I'd be plenty happy.

The big downside, of course, is that I can't afford all of these, but what the hell, eh? A guy can dream. I guess it was kind of silly to try to limit myself to a few different cartridges when my firearms tastes are so varied. (For instance, I like leverguns and semiautos equally well. I also like single shots, and surplus bolt rifles.)

OutLaw

The more calibers the better.Maybe not really,But guns are just too fun to stick to just 1 caliber.
Gotta have all these calibers in pistols:
9mm
40S&W
.357 Sig
7.62 x 25 tok
45 ACP
38 special
357 Mag
44 Mag
10mm
380 ACP
454 casull
480 Ruger
44 special

Rifles:
well,There are too many to list.

krept

yup.

On today's wish list...

Ruger SP101
DW .44 Mag
Glock 20
Sig P220
Sig P226
P7M8
USPc .45 (probably will do this next)
Suppressed .22 pistol from local company (or this=cheap ammo)
Suppressor for my USP .45
BHP
a couple 1911s.

Then there are the rifles...

Then there is the gear... vests, etc. from SOEgear.com. good GPS, nice 4x4. And to think my fiancee wants to have kids... HAH.

Get good with that .45.

blades67

Like NATO, I'm trying to standardize my rounds, but it just isn't working. Heh.

What's not working? You only have one .45 ACP, that sounds like you've standardized yourself without any complications.:p :D

I went through a phase like that. I sold some terrific guns that I will never get back in the name of "standardization". There are people who own guns for one specific purpose whether it be competition, hunting, personal defense, whatever. Then there are those of us that own guns because we enjoy owning guns. We like the history of them, the fun of shooting them, we carry them, hunt with them, compete with them, and simply look at them. If you are part of the later group like I am, forget about all this standardizing and just enjoy the hobby. This is a hobby, there are no rules, there is no justification for owning all these guns other than because we want to.

Nightcrawler

What's not working? You only have one .45 ACP, that sounds like you've standardized yourself without any complications.

True, but the CZ-97 isn't my last handgun. I mean, if I don't own another, how am I supposed to have two fisted, akimo guns of justice, diving to the side, one pistol in each hand, firing wildly, and felling hoards of badguys? :D

blades67

True, but the CZ-97 isn't my last handgun. I mean, if I don't own another, how am I supposed to have two fisted, akimo guns of justice, diving to the side, one pistol in each hand, firing wildly, and felling hoards of badguys?:D

Continue to play Covert Ops on your Playstation.;) :D

Christopher II

I'm one of those standardized people. I have little interest in gun collecting, and none at all in owning guns for the sake of owning them. I like to shoot, a lot, competitvely, and I try to limit my guns to calibers necessary for competition and self-defense.

Right now, in pistol land, I've got 9mm's and .22LR's. One of these days I plan to add a .45ACP for bullseye shooting. That covers IDPA, USPSA, steel, and international and conventional bullseye. I compete in IDPA with my carry gun. You can do a lot of shooting with two or three calibers, and you won't have to stock lots of different ammo types.

My advice, if you want to limit your collection a little bit, is to decide what kinds of shooting you want to do. Range plinking, practical shooting, carry, backup, etc. Then, when the urge to buy a new gun strikes, ask yourself if you've already got a gun that will cover that use. If so, save your money and spend it on ammo and range time. If you really have !got! to buy a gun, get a duplicate of one you already have. You can never have too many spare guns. :D

- Chris

Freightman

i recon I qulify as a gun nut as I love to shoot, but I had rather trade for a gun than buy one as it is more of a chalenge to upgrade and not pay any money to do it.

KSFreeman

Collect while you can. Get it out of your system.

As you grow as old and contrarian like KSFreeman, you will focus your selection. More to give away later.:D

Chuck Dye

I have gained ground in discussions with anti's who challenge the number of guns I own by asking if they play golf (all have answered yes) and if they play golf with only one or two clubs. Usually, you can see the light go one. For one or two of the slower ones, I have asked them if they would willingly play with only one club, then the light goes on. Never thought I'd need to turn the logic on a shooter.

Last edited:

chaim

Nothing wrong with endulging both sides of your personality.

Buy as many guns in as many chamberings as you like. They all feel a little different and depending upon your mood you may prefer one over the other. Also, depending upon the mission the gun will serve you may find that you want a couple chamberings (if you're in a CCW state you may find that small carry guns in 9mm may be fine, in .45 it may be too much for you but for range use you may prefer .45s).

However, you may want to stock ammo for one or two cartridges primarily and just buy ammo for the others when you're actually going shooting.

I currently have a good stock of 9mm ammo (the usual, though I sometimes also have a good stock of .38) and only a few boxes of .45, .380, .38 and .357. I usually buy .40 only when I go to shoot my CZ 40B. For rifles I have a ton of 7.62x39 and only a little 30-30.

Justin

My suggestion?

Make a list.
Not of the guns you want, but of the specific needs/uses which your future purchases can meet.
As mentioned before, this can include anything from a carry gun(s), to IDPA, CAS, NRA Bullseye, High Power Rifle, hunting, plinking, training newbies, etc.

If you know what your needs are, it's much easier to tailor your collection so that you get the most bang for your bucks. That way you don't end up with a golf bag full of too many putters and no 5-irons. (I'm assuming a 5-iron is some sort of golfing implement...)

I mean, if I don't own another, how am I supposed to have two fisted, akimo guns of justice, diving to the side, one pistol in each hand, firing wildly, and felling hoards of badguys?

For this, the only way to go is a matched pair. Get another CZ-97. :D ;)
you know you want to...