It's DONE!

warbirdlover

My ultimate deer blind is done. What a job getting the frame and materials to the site. Luckily my SIL has a nice Chevy 4-wheel drive pickup and nice trailer. We went through some mud holes I swear no vehicle should go through to get back to the high ground where my stand is located.

This puppy cost me over $600 to build (treated 1/2 plywood). The hardware alone cost over $100. I only had my cell phone but there are two swivel bar stools in there and it's 4' X 8' (8' high) with flip open shooting windows on all four sides. We ended up with roofing paper (tar paper) on top. It's at a slight angle so the rain will roll off the flat roof. A ceiling light inside also.

Got it up early enough so by November the deer should be used to it.

Attachments

• 0625111541.jpg
    0625111541.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 0625111542.jpg
    0625111542.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

PawPaw

That's a good start. The problem with deer blinds is that they tend to get more comfortable over time. If the power company would string electricity to my blind, I've have lights and television in mine. It's already got heat.

What color are you going to paint it?

C0untZer0

There doesn't seem to be enough room in there to fit the pool table, let alone the wide-screen TV.

And how do you keep the beer cold?

warbirdlover

Not going to paint it. SIL has treated (unpainted) 1/2 playwood (same as my stand) on his trailer and after 3 years in the outdoors it still looks good. Weathered but good. I was going to caulk all the corners but it's all such a tight fit I don't have to.

In Wisconsin beer stays cold during November gun hunting. But I don't drink beer when hunting. I've got a heater for it if the weather goes below 0º F but don't need anything above that.

shortwave

Good job wbl looks good,

Even though lumber may be treated, I'd probably still use somethings like Thompsons Water sealant on her.
Also, being treated lumber, its probably wet, when lumber dries you may get some shrinkage so joints may not fit quite as tight. You may have to caulk in the future.

warbirdlover

If you saw the stand I had up until this one you'd know that I won't be worrying about any shrinkage or stuff LOL. My old stand let the wind blow right through. It was COLD. This one will be super nice. It will probably outlive me without doing anything more to it!!

rdmallory

Shame you don't have a way to get it 20-30 feet off the ground. I have a thing for deer hunting from ground level. I might suggest putting some orange tape or paint on it. Some stranger hunting without permission might use it for a back drop.

Doug

warbirdlover

NO ONE dares enter this property without permission. He would have to walk by two of the six hunters stands entering and by the time he got any further the DNR warden would be there to greet him. It's not easily accessed besides because it is "behind" all the properties along the road. It's a hidden hunting heaven. 120 acres hunted by only six of us. And I made this ground blind instead of the elevated blind I used to have because at my age it's too hard for me to climb up in them anymore. Because this is the top of a hill the elevated stand is not necessary and all the other hunters hunt from (and kill very nice, large deer from) ground blinds. This will turn gray (weather) and blend nicely into the background. We go to our stands in the morning and STAY in them all day so the deer continue to move in their normal patterns. And I want no blaze orange on my stand. I look like a frickin light bulb as it is.

See the pic of the deer shot off my (old) stand at point blank range the year before I got on this lease..... The smaller one is the deer I got the next year (my first on this land) and I got another just like it the next year. I've passed 2-3 of these size deer up the last few years waiting for one of the big ones we see on the land. There's some record book deer in here.

This stand is right on the main "entrance" the deer use to go from the swamp and corn fields up to the high (oak trees and acorns) ground.

Attachments

• GarysDeer.jpg
    GarysDeer.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Jersdeer002.jpg
    Jersdeer002.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 77

603Country

That looks real nice, and I'm with PawPaw in thinking that you'll want improvements over time. And like him, I like to get off the ground a bit. My tallest blind is 12 feet or more in the air and my shortest is 4 feet up. I am putting on the years, so all blinds now have angled stairs with hand rails. As for blind color, I do recommend a flat Hunter Green latex paint. That color blends in great with the woods, and the flat non-reflective type paint helps with the blending in.

warbirdlover

We just did this Saturday so I might be worn out from working on it. So, yes, maybe I'll paint it and improve it in the coming years. I am definitely going to have to make new (plexiglass?) windows to replace the plywood ones there now as they will warp too much. And the flat green paint idea is good (if I can haul a pressure sprayer in there LOL). I don't paint things with a brush anymore. I'm very lazy in my retired years. But it's not going up in the air. I like the idea of just getting out without any climbing involved. If I ever was in a wheelchair I could still use this blind (and at my current rate of aging it could happen LOL).