Its amazing what upgrades do

pabuckslayer08

I just went and fired a few shots out of my "new" rifle, I had bought a 700 sps when they first came out about 6 years ago or so as a all weather hunting gun. It shot ok, about 1.5" moa with cheap factory ammo. Well over the last 2 years Ive been doing alot of tinkering, kinda my project gun. I bought a new stock, free floated it, glass bedded it. Bought a new recoil pad, added a dampener to the barrel, new scope, and rings, trigger work, and removed the drop plate and sealed it like a ADL rifle. Today I fired sierra gameking 150s from it and boom, like a new gun. .5" moa and shoots like a dream. Its a 30-06 but if I didnt know it, I would say it shoots like a .243 now. I couldnt believe what a good stock and some minor upgrades could do

hooligan1

Yep it's pretty cool when you see Noticeable improvements for your efforts.
I hope you get a big ole buck for your troubles.:)

wpsdlrg

Congratulations on the improvements -and the great results. Very often, rifles with sporter weight barrels do better NOT free-floated. Certainly, the better stock, glass bedding the action and conversion to a blind magazine played a role. The barrel dampener, I would bet, played a big role - but would not have without the other items having been looked after first.

In any case, your success with your rifle is proof that a carefully tuned standard rifle, with the fundamentals looked after properly, can be made to do the same job for which custom rifle makers charge big $$.

Again, congratulations. Well done, sir.