It's a good thing he had the BB Gun

jhisaac

Not many comments beyond the obvious one that a BB gun was NOT enough!

jhisaac

http://www.gazette.com/stories/0109top1-4.php

Copyright 2002, The Gazette, a Freedom Communications, Inc. Company. All rights reserved
January 9, 2002

Man wrestles cougar in yard

Mountain lion grabs family terrier in Rockrimmon
Jay Janner The Gazette

Michael Hurd has 25 stitches and a bloodied shirt as proof of his successful rescue of the family dog from a mountain lion. "I guess it's true, about moving into their habitat and having to deal with it now," said Jean Hurd, Michael's wife.
By Tom Ragan The Gazette

Not many people can say they've wrestled with a mountain lion and won.

Mike Hurd can.

The 46-year-old contractor rescued the family dog Monday night from the jaws of a cougar that wandered into his Rockrimmon neighborhood in northwest Colorado Springs.

He's got 25 stitches to prove it - in and around both ears. If you want to see the bloodied shirt, he's got that too. But most of all he's got the unusual tale, the Rocky Mountain version of Crocodile Dundee.

On Tuesday he stood in the back yard and told it, re-enacting parts when warranted. He said it all started shortly before 8:30 p.m., when his 6-year-old son let out "this blood-curdling scream" that "some big animal" was trying to eat Baxter, the family's 2-year-old black Scottish Terrier.

Hurd reacted on instinct. He bolted out the kitchen door without stopping to think, although in the back of his mind he was thinking it was probably a German shepherd or a coyote.

The thought of a mountain lion never entered his head. Until, that is, he jumped on its back and ended up staring straight into its eyes in what would have been an awkward, almost comical embrace if he hadn't been so scared.

"I had one of his paws in one hand and my other arm was wrapped around his back," said Hurd, who's 160 pounds and 5 feet 9 inches tall, just a tad bigger than the mountain lion.

For two minutes, Hurd held onto the mountain lion for dear life. His dear life. Baxter had managed to escape.

The mountain lion growled at him. Hurd growled back.

"But that wasn't what scared me at the time," Hurd said. "What scared me was how I was going to deal with him after I let him go."

He yelled for his wife to get the BB gun. She came back and laid it at his side. If the BB gun didn't work, there was always the pooper scooper as a last resort, he said.

Then came the moment of truth. Would it attack him once he let it go?

Hurd lucked out. The lion just wandered back into the scrub oak where it came from.

"It was almost as if he was annoyed," Hurd said.

Hurd can't remember when the lion caught him with his claws. Or whether it might have actually been his teeth.

"He must have gotten me sometime between the time I left the porch and landed on his back," Hurd said.

The Division of Wildlife says mountain lions are common in the Rockrimmon area, a neighborhood full of deer and dogs, the types of animals mountain lions love to eat.

This mountain lion, in particular, must have been an "inexperienced hunter" because it didn't kill Baxter right away, the DOW told Hurd.

Jean Hurd, Michael's wife, said she wishes the mountain lion never came around. Their children are terrified and will no longer be able to play near the scrub oak, she said.

"If I had known it was a mountain lion, and it had stared right at me with Baxter in its mouth, I probably would have said, 'Bye, Baxter,'" Hurd said.

"I just hope he doesn't come around again."

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
"Fetch me the BB gun, honey!" :eek:

Ten out of ten for Heroism. Minus several thousand for planning skills. ;)

dZ

i have always said that i want my wife to be the one that klunks the guy in the bar over the head with a bottle, not screaming in the corner, while 2 more move in on me.

Laying a BB gun beside me while i am grapling with a lion is kinda way off over there, on the less than helpful side of the equation

i kinda doubt that lion is coming back, but a trip to Walmart for a Remington 870, 12 guage would be right at the top of my "to do" list if i was those folkes.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
I used to live there! & the area is awash with such ninneys - one reason we no longer reside there. Some areas of Rockrimmon most certainly do border ono the edge of town & there are those nasty scrub oaks with attendant critters - some of 'em bite. Boo hoo! Maybe Ms. Hurd can click her heels together "wishing they had never come here" - might work.

I'll give the yahoo a 10 for stupidity. Jumping on the back of "even" a freakin' dog that size is a no-no in my book. :eek:

Nice back-up from The Mrs :rolleyes: lays the BB gun down by his side ....

Quite a while back in The Broadmore area (yes, you must sniff through your upper lip when saying "The Broadmore"), some folks built a run for their beloved dog - to protect same from the roving bands of big felines. A nice long one & with 8' high sides.

The Mrs comes home with a mountain lion sitting inside licking its chops - sans pooch. What!? no roof on the run? Cats can jump!? Cats can climb!?

Hope they all move to Chicago ....

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Some of the garden hoses around these parts this time of year are full of ice & don't spray none too good.

Maybe flail at the cat with an ice-filled hunk-o-tube ... ;)

d`leasha

oh gawd, my boss will be sticking his head into my office any minute to find out why i'm laughing so hard i'm crying! a BB gun for heaven's sake!! lol!!

David Park

Uh, considering this guy jumped on the creature's back first, and figured out it was a mountain lion second, I'm not so sure we should be recommending that he arm himself. I'd suggest some "look before you leap" lessons.

At least the dog's OK. :rolleyes:

UltimaThule

There was a story a few years ago of a goat herder in Tanzania who killed a lion with his bare hands to stop it from taking one of his goats.

I don't know how well that story was checked by the media, but I find it believable. I have been there and seen those guys, armed with nothing but spears and clubs, walk right through prides (?) of lions. The lions move out of their way... (Those are obviously "real" lions, not cougars, but it still takes a large pair...)

C.R.Sam

His situational assessment skills need a little work.

Maby cat left cause it figured stupid was catchable.

good kitty.

Sam