Its 1911 week

Lohman446

Ok so I have been using a P938 for some time as a carry gun (I know this is not a true 1911 but it replicates the controls of such). Its handy pistol and often finds itself on my belt but strikes me as a touch smaller then I want.

I augmented this by buying a Colt Delta Elite in 10MM - because if your going to buy a 10MM 1911 it might as well be this. Really like this gun and will use it as a carry gun some but is a full size 1911.

It appears to me I "need" an officer model sized 1911. Maybe a commander sized one. However this is where we start to get tricky:

I want it in 9MM. Nothing against .45 but I want it to by 9MM.

I do not like fiber optic sights - night sights are fine but not the fiber optic tube things.

I want a steel frame. This seems to be where I am running into issues because most of this size 1911s in 9MM I am finding are alloy. If I was that concerned about weight I would use a Glock.

UncleEd

I just bought a 2017 Colt Combat Commander 9 mm with a steel frame.
The "Combat" in the name denotes steel.

JDBerg

Next to my S&W 617, my STI Trojan 9mm is the softest shooting handgun that I own. Feed it ammo it likes (good quality 124 & 147 gr.) and it's a tackdriver. Feed it ammo it hates (mostly the cheap stuff), and it can jam like crazy. Point is if you shoot that DE like you should, you are going to reload 10mm, so get yourself some 9mm dies and enjoy your 9mm Cmdr. Length!

shaunpain

I think probably the best carry 1911, in my humble opinion, is a CCO pattern with Commander slide sitting on an Officer frame. They are made most commonly with aluminum frames to my knowledge, but I've seen offerings with forged steel frames as well. I tried looking for an Officer in 9mm with a steel frame on Google and they were unicorns. It can probably be built for not a lot of money if you are so inclined. Fusion has the frames. I didn't check Caspian or STI Trojan. Throw some Trijicon HDs on it and you have a winner. Good luck!

Lohman446

I think the colt combat commander is my back-up plan but I would prefer an officer model (or a CCO? - commander slide on an officer frame).

surveyor

Stainless, officer frame, commander slide, but it has fiber optic front sight.
I don't have one, so can't comment on it.
http://danwessonfirearms.com/product/pointman-carry-pm-c/

Para used to make a lda model, but fiber optic sight.
http://para-usa.com/2013/firearms/lda/ldaCarry.php

3 1/2" model

I had a lda carry and a lda cco at one time in 45, diffrence was in barrel lengths if I remember.
Trigger had to be released further than a standard 1911 trigger from what I remember.

Officer mags were a little past flush if I remember as well.

Last edited:

TRX

A few years ago I decided my ideal main carry weapon would be an aluminum frame Officer or CCO, bobtailed, in 9mm or preferably .38 Super.

While several manufacturers catalog such a thing, they're priced well above their more ordinary offerings, not that it matters because they're always sold out anyway.

KyJim

Les Baer lists a 9mm Stinger, all steel with a supported ramp. The Stinger is Baer's version of the CCO. I have one in .45 and I love it.

Now the bad news. It lists at $2,840 (they can be gotten cheaper).

Added: I see that Dan Wesson makes an all-steel CCO sized 9mm in two varieties: a Pointman 7 Carry PM-C and the Valor Commander (stainless). Both are considerably less than the Baer.

Last edited:

chaim

Given your criteria I'd probably go RIA or Colt. I used to have a full-sized .45 Charles Daly which was made by the same company that makes RIA and it was a good gun.

I do have to ask, why no alloy guns? It would make your search easier to include them. As for "If I was that concerned about weight I would use a Glock", an alloy 1911 of any size isn't all that terribly light. A steel Commander sized 1911 runs 32 or 33oz if memory serves, my S&W 1911PD (4" scandium 1911) runs around 28oz. At 28oz for most Commander sized alloy 1911s they are still a pretty hefty piece of metal, more than heavy enough to tame the recoil (especially in 9mm), yet quite comfortable for carry. In fact, had I not moved away from SAO and the 1911 design for my defensive guns, Commander sized alloy 1911s would still probably be one of my primary home defense and carry guns.

Lohman446

Chaim you basically illustrated why. To me going to alloy is a trade off: weight for durability. As I'm not gaining anything meaningful in weight the trade off is not worth it to me.

rodfac

Here's my answer: a Sig RCS in .45. Alloy frame of the Officer's Model length grip, match barrel with Sig's tritium night sights and a 4" length on the barrel to ease the vertical dimensions. Durability? If you participate in one of gun-games disciplines, where a cpl hundred rounds a weekend is normal, I guess you'd shoot it loose eventually. But for carry, and anything less than the heavy round count in the gun-games, an alloy frame is just too convenient to ignore.

I shot it this afternoon and got an inch for 5 shots from 11 yds. It'll shoot, it's comfortable, & any one can shoot a .45 with a little practice, even in an alloy frame. In my use, a 9mm in an alloy frame little more than a .22 in recoil...in a steel frame it's even softer...what's the point? Go for the .45 and you'll not regret it. Getting that level of accuracy from a 9mm or .40 is a tough nut to crack and believe me, I've tried.

Sig discontinued the RCS model, but they're available on gun broker for $879 this evening and I've seen them lower in the past. Here's mine. It's the best carry 1911 I've ever owned and there hae been more than a couple.

If you're bound and determined to have a 9mm, give the Ruger 1911, 9mm a long look. It's a good gun.

YMMV, Rod

Last edited:

chaim

Chaim you basically illustrated why. To me going to alloy is a trade off: weight for durability. As I'm not gaining anything meaningful in weight the trade off is not worth it to me.

This right here is why there is a market for so many different guns...A perfect example of "YMMV" or "to each his own". To you, the alloy Commander is a trade off of weight for durability where it is not worth it, to me it is like Goldilocks, "just right". :cool:

Though, since I have relegated my 1911s to range duty, I'll probably be trading my Commander sized alloy 1911 for another all steel one (probably, I do love it so it is only probably and not definitely).

Lohman446

This right here is why there is a market for so many different guns...A perfect example of "YMMV" or "to each his own". To you, the alloy Commander is a trade off of weight for durability where it is not worth it, to me it is like Goldilocks, "just right".

Though, since I have relegated my 1911s to range duty, I'll probably be trading my Commander sized alloy 1911 for another all steel one (probably, I do love it so it is only probably and not definitely).

That is a really good point. What I am buying, for the most part these days, are "heirloom" guns. Guns I can pass down to my children and they will be able to shoot and remember learning with and using. That being said this will also fill a niche as a belt carry gun (maybe). My carry guns tend to get in the neighborhood of 1000 rounds through them a year - since I intend to live awhile I want a gun that in 30K rounds my kids can at least handle, shoot with their kids, and remember. For the vast majority of people this is likely not a concern.

RoughDivider

Only 30k? If you're shooting that few through it I don't know why an alloy frame wouldn't outlive you. Granted I haven't put much research into alloy frames but if polymer frames can last 100k+ I don't see why alloy frames can't.