Ithaca Out of Business???

Ruger4570

It appears that Ithaca may in fact be out of business.. Everything I have read and including a trip to their plant in Kings Ferry would suggest that they closed up shop. I have heard they may have moved to Auburn, NY but I haven't had a chance to check this out yet. I know that Ithaca has had their share of financial woes for years, maybe they just couldn't make it work any longer. If anyone is interested in what information I can find out, post a note here and I will respond with any info I can come up with. Sad if this is true. Another gun business belly up.

GunsnRovers

They are claiming a temporary halt during their reorganization. Phones at the old and new location are out, the web page is down, and the parking lot empty.

I guess we'll all know soon enough.

Hopeing for the best, but won't be surprised if the doors get locked shut.

Ruger4570

It sounds more to me like the signs that say "closed for remodeling" and then they never reopen. I am still hoping to get to their Auburn Plant and snoop around. Right now it sounds like the phrase "reorganization" is used to keep creditors at bay.. who knows. I wish them luck.

Russ5924

I never liked there shotguns and even less when I saw two of them that the shell had gone off as it was pumped shell went off with the bolt back just destoying the guns In one the shell in the tube also went and just cleaned everything out.The gun shop owner said he get a few now and then.I have never seen it before or after only that one time??????

Ruger4570

I know that in the late 50's one of my friends father owned an old Ithaca 37 which if you held the trigger back and pumped it hard it would fire. Ithaca at some time put in a disconnector to prevent this. I, "personally" have never heard of one going off with the bolt open. Not to say it can't happen, I just have no first or second hand knowledge of it. Possibly the gun was dirty and the firing pin was in the fire position, or possibly one before the mods to stop slam fires.

Mannlicher

I have owned, and shot Ithaca shotguns for many years. I have never heard of one firing out of battery.
I have always had the highest regards for their shotguns, especially the SxS doubles.

Greybeard

:( if they are indeed going belly up.

I've got an old Model 37 20 gauge "Featherwight" and it is one of my favorite shotguns. And yes, if the trigger is held back, its goes boom with every pump.

Ruger4570

I have always used Ithaca guns and have at one time owned one of their lever actuated single shot shotguns,, Model 66???? I also had a 16 guage NID double a 37 in 12 Guage and I still have a Model 37 in 20 guage and a Deerslayer II in 12. There is a little "twinge" thinking that they may be no more. Especially considering they were almost a "hometown" gun company. They were fine guns, they still are..

MillCreek

I have two 'military and police' model 37s, and if you hold down the trigger, it fires each time you pump the action. The Model 37 was used for many years by the LAPD and other major LEO organizations, and this 'feature' was covered in training as a means of rapid firing the shotgun.

GunsnRovers

In the 1970's, at the request of agencies like the LAPD, a disconnector was added to the 37 so you had to pull the trigger for each shot.

Ruger4570

One of my boyhood freind's father owned an older Ithaca 37 and it could be "slam fired". Ithaca as noted above installed a disconnect to eliminate this problem (or advantage, depending on your needs).

armedandsafe

Slamfire on a pump is not that uncommon, until the manufacturers began installing disconnectors. My Model 12 (1926) will slamfire. Handy if you need it, surprising if you get careless. :D

Pops

Romulus

I called Ithaca about two weeks ago to see if I could send my model '87 for some work. I was asked to hold off till july, as their new facility will be up and running. I got no indication they were going out of business. A year ago, when I called to inquire about some parts, I was told that they were doing great under the Simpson leadership. I'd really be surprised if they were going under.

Ruger4570

Romulus: I hope ypou are right,but a newpaper said they were not going to be manufacturing guns for about 8 months. I don't know how they can keep employees around if they don't make guns.. I suppose there is unemployment to collect, but I saw something that they had trouble with the Labor Dept. too. I am going to keep tabs on the situation out of curosity as to what is happening. I was going to go to the "new" Auburn plant this weekend but it looks like I won't make it. I will try to get there during the week if possible.Again, I truly hope they are going to be open and doing business as usual as much as anyone.

artsmom

I ust found this out myself, and came to post the news here.

I think the backbone of the Ithaca business had always been the LAPD, but I believe that has gone by the wayside. They also were competing against almost the exact same design in the Browning BPS, which I am sure didn't help.

As for problems with Model 37s, speaking of the half dozens ones I have fired, from 3" 12 gauge to a 20, I cannot say they had any problems inherent to the design. In fact, I would take a M37 over an 870 if I were kicking down doors in Fajullah.

I hope they can come back, but when you see so many posts start with "Where can I get the cheapest...", I don't think their is much call for a classy, midpriced pumpgun.

Romulus

Still hoping that the lowdown I got from the last time I called is correct, meaning it's just the pains from a move to a new location. Ithaca is a legend, and I pray they'll be around...

Ruger4570

Romulus: I hope for your sake all goes well for Ithaca. I went to their "new" location in Auburn, NY and saw 1 Ithaca Van parked outside on the side of the building. I also saw 4 cars parked in front and a light on,, so .. who knows.. I got a cell call and had to leave before I could knock on the ofice door and try to find out anything,, maybe next time I can get there.