Ithaca Model 37 question

stagpanther

A friend of mine recently scored this for a song from someone who said it sat in a safe for 25 years unused. I was asked to clean it up and check it out--but I'm not well versed on shotguns in general even though I have a few. I looked up the serial number and dated it to 1947. It appears to be a smooth bore 16 guage with 26" barrel.

What I can't figure out is what the 4 screws on the top side of the receiver are for. I told the friend I think it was possibly bubba-tized for mounting a scope--but I don't know. Any ideas?

Here it is after getting the gunk, rust and spider nests out:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_7914.jpg
    IMG_7914.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_7915.jpg
    IMG_7915.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 450

Pahoo

Obviously and you are correct

I told the friend I think it was possibly bubba-tized for mounting a scope--but I don't know. Any ideas?
You are correct and as a confirmation, check the screw spacing on an old Weaver ring. I would replace these with blinscrews..... :)

I love these old-classics as I was lucky enough to own one, in my youth .... :p

Be Safe !!!

stagpanther

Thanks Pahoo--that's what I thought. The bore is actually in pretty good shape once I got it thoroughly cleaned--anything to watch out for when considering to actually firing after so much time? It does seem pretty cool to have both load and ejection from the bottom capability.

Pahoo

It's in a good home !!!

anything to watch out for when considering to actually firing after so much time?
Not really and I do consider these as one of many "classics". I'm not up on shotguns, the way use to be but these do have quite a history. May want to take it to a reliable gunsmith and please replace those srews. For now, stick to low-brass/light loads These were issued used in combat by our troops. Don't ride the trigger. ..... :cool:

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!

stagpanther

Thanks again. I removed the screws and discovered the forward most screw hole (closest to the chamber) goes all the way through the receiver wall--it's aft of the chamber itself though. I'm sure the chamber bears most of the pressure--but I personally wouldn't be wild about firing it. What you think?

44 AMP

Staff
You appear to have a field grade model 37 16ga, and yes the screws were not factory done.

I wouldn't worry overmuch about a screw hole through the receiver if not over the chamber or barrel, shotguns are pretty low pressure compared to modern rifles or even pistols.

These were issued used in combat by our troops. Don't ride the trigger. .....

The 16ga was never any standard issue military round, and few, if any Ithaca 37s went to our troops. Winchesters mostly, later Remingtons, but not Ithacas.

Where the Model 37 did see a lot of use was by our police. Many police depts used the Ithaca 37 (in riot gun configuration) as the standard police cruiser shotgun for generations.

DO check the gun and see if it has a functional disconnector. Many pre-1950s shotguns don't.

Hold the trigger back and close the action, if the mechanism "fires" you don't have a working disconnector. There may not be one there, at all, or it may be there and not working. Gunsmith can tell you, and you should run the gun by one, just to have the headspace checked, if nothing else.

The fact that the gun is loaded and ejects through the bottom is a big point for left handed shooters, but the mechanism is a bit complicated and can look ok and still screw up. Test feeding and ejection with some dummy rounds.

Also check the markings to see if the choke is given. If not, its probably full choke.

The Ithaca 37 is a decent pump gun, pretty durable, but not as slick as more modern designs. Not a sought after collectible gun, currently and with the added screws for mounting...something, not a collector's prize, just an old field gun that will still do everything it ever did, as well as it ever did.

Sevens

but not as slick as more modern designs
Not to argue but certainly asking for a clarification -- what do you mean with the term "slick" ?

I say this because even though I am not a big shotgun guy either, I've handled and used plenty of pump shotguns... lots of Mossbergs, Maverick 88's, Rem 870's, Benelli Nova, and some of the newer Turkish imports (I can't recall the name) and though all are serviceable in their own right, I have literally never in my life worked a pump shotgun that is as smooth and buttery silky slick as, honestly, every Ithaca 37 I have ever had the pleasure of handling.

It seems to me that nobody has made a pump shotgun with an action as freaky silky smooth as the Ithaca 37.

Hold the trigger back and close the action, if the mechanism "fires" you don't have a working disconnector.
Also, every Ithaca 37 that I've ever had the good fortune to make bang does specifically this -- as if it is a design feature.

As to the pictured shotgun, I also would worry not even one bit about the safety or integrity of it with the screws, but for sure, those screws have obliterated any value it has. They also look just horrendous, makes me wince.

Ithaca 37's are phenomenal shotguns.

Pahoo

Got carried away !!!

These were issued used in combat by our troops. Don't ride the trigger. .....
Yeh, got carried away. What I meant was that the 37's "action" were issued to our troops.

The 16ga was never any standard issue military round, and few, if any Ithaca 37s went to our troops. Winchesters mostly, later Remingtons, but not Ithacas.

Neither was my 20Ga but I still didn't ride the trigger. Found out by mistake and it was interesting but not needed on rabbits. ..... :rolleyes:

As for the reciever screws; My dislike, got the best of me. It's like having the most beautify sweetheart with a wart on her nose. Just takes the shine off ... :cool:

I have see a number of recievers, drilled and tapped and if you get these replaced with blind screws and LockTite, the wart will go away !!! :)

Be Safe !!!

44 AMP

Staff
Hold the trigger back and close the action, if the mechanism "fires" you don't have a working disconnector.

Also, every Ithaca 37 that I've ever had the good fortune to make bang does specifically this -- as if it is a design feature.

It is a design feature, or rather, a feature the design lacks. Many of the pre-WWII designed pump guns simply lack a disconnector. I know the early Winchester model 12s don't have one, and the final production guns do. I was unsure if this was the case with the Ithaca 37s or not.

While a disconnector is needed with a semi auto to prevent full auto fire, with a pump, its not a needed feature, just one that is nice to have to help prevent accidents.

The only problem with a pump gun having no disconnector is when a user thinks it does and it doesn't.

I saw my little brother almost blow his foot off because of that. We were loading up the camper for a trip, and some pigeons landed on the barn roof. We had permission to shoot them off the roof, PROVIDED we didn't hit the roof. So my brother steps into the house to get a shotgun.

Does he get his own Hi Standard 20ga pump? (which has a disconnector)???
NO!
he comes out with MY old Winchester Model 12! (which has NO disconnector), stuff a couple shells into the tube, and racks action to chamber a round....BANG!!! blew a fair size divot into the ground right next to his foot.

NOT KNOWING it would fire, he had held the trigger back when he pumped the action. I retrieved the gun, and we...had words... also a couple of "stupid slaps" to emphasize some points, among which were, using my gun without permission (relatively minor offense), using MY AMMO without permission (much more serious in our household), and worst, using a gun he did NOT know how to correctly and safely use! (crash and burn offense!)

Took more than a little time for him to be forgiven for that bit of stupidity. Dad WASN'T HAPPY! :mad:
Dad was and NRA Hunter Safety Instructor, and both of us had helped with, and sat through many of his courses over the years.

IF you know the gun doesn't have a disconnector, then you know what you should do and what not to do. But if you don't, and think it does, that's a BAD THING.

Sevens

?!

If you are handling the firearm, not yet ready to shoot, have your finger inside the trigger guard... near the trigger... on the trigger... DEPRESSING THE TRIGGER...

that's going to be the BAD THING

stagpanther

I can see why this might be an issue--because the trigger itself--at least on the one here in question--has almost no takeup or overtravel. Quite nice otherwise.

44 AMP

Staff
If you are handling the firearm, not yet ready to shoot, have your finger inside the trigger guard... near the trigger... on the trigger... DEPRESSING THE TRIGGER...

that's going to be the BAD THING

Generally I would agree with that, but there are guns that require you to put your finger inside the triggerguard, near the trigger (BUT NOT ON IT!!) in order to disengage the safety. The M1 rifle, M14, M1A, and Ruger Mini14 are like that.

I think a shotgun trigger should be crisp, with very little take up and very little overtravel. I don't think pull weight is much of an issue, provided its not too light or too heavy. You don't need rifle class precision, and the light match/target type trigger of some rifles is a very poor choice for shotgun use. (as is anything that can be roughly described as a "hair trigger")

On a field gun, you want a trigger that is not so light and sensitive that touching it with a gloved finger in the cold will set it off, and not so heavy and stiff that it pulls your aim off getting the gun to fire.

LOLBELL

I own Remington and Mossberg pumps and Remington and Browning autos but the 16 ga 37 is my go to shotgun for all things requiring a shotgun except turkeys.

Bruce Canfield book Complete Guide to US Military Shotguns is recommended here.
Mind you, yours was not a military gun so don't go spending ducats. Dust off the library card and get it via inter-library loan. It's free and costs only time.

Too bad about the screws but it won't affect the function. We were taught to plug the holes with a slightly higher screw, then cut them off and peen them down (tap, tap, tap and not wham, wham, wham!). Refinish afterward.

Pahoo

Enjoy, your "Classic"

You are correct and as a confirmation, check the screw spacing on an old Weaver ring. I would replace these with blindscrews.....
Not that it matters all that much; there was a scope mounting "system" at some time. Much like some folks who butchered SideLock M/L, many older generation shotguns were also converted for scope mounting. Some were rails, saddles or individual rings. I'd have to revisit some old catalogs to see what was available or common. ..... :confused:

My vintage 37, is one shotgun I still think about and should not have sold.. :(

Be Safe !!!

stinkeypete

That is 6 1/2 or less pounds of one of the best light field shotguns ever made.

Fill those holes with nice cosmetic button heads loc tight in place.
The shell resides in the barrel, dont woory about a screw hole in the receiver, there is a big hole out the bottom and the back is open to the wood.
Don’t worry about the lack of a disconnector- yes, you can depress the trigger and slam fire it. But why? Simply dont do that.
That’s the correct “sunburst” recoil pad, very nice.

Clean it up. Even with the screw holes it’s a valuable shotgun for any hunter. Real American hardwood, hand checkering, and craftsmanship. You’ve noticed the action is butter smooth and it politely spits the shells at your feet, not somewhere to the right in the bushes.

Cleaned up value? $350 easy. Cost to replace it with a similar new gun? $1200.

Anyone seeing you with that in the field knows that you know your shotguns.

I think the model 37 and Wingmaster, as well as the model 12 are all destined to become like LC Smiths and Sterlingworths not far in the future.

Drm50

I’ve drilled dozens of 37s for scope bases. That base I used on Rem 870 & 1100 because they didn’t have enough “meat” top center of receiver. The 37s had good meat and metal to use a one piece Weaver base.
As far as shooting that gun, turn it loose. Much better and stronger gun than half the new junk peddled today. Those 4 screws in receiver have nothing to do with strength of gun. I just got same vintage 37 on trade. If it was a 12g I would keep it, my luck it’s a 16g. The newer 37s had alloy receiver and I think they are just a little heavier than the original 37.