Itching for a lever action and need some input....

(BH)

Well boys, I'm starting to feel my newest itch, but I'm not quite sure how to scratch it.

I have a big gap in my collection... no lever actions. I think I need to fix this with something of the .44 mag denomination, but I might end up going with a 30-30. I'm leaning towards the .44 because I'm planning on upgrading to a .44 mag woods gun soon, so I figure having the same caliber for both would be nice.

For those of you who have experience with both: Do you see any major reason I would want to go with the 30-30 instead? Pros/Cons? As far as 30-30 is concerned, I'm looking at the Marlin 336W, good gun?

I believe I want a Marlin, but I have also heard good stuff about Puma and Rossi. I'm hesitant to buy anything Brazilian, so I'd love to hear from some of you who have experience with these. I have this feeling that if I go Marlin, I won't regret it.

I'd love some all around input from people with experience. I'm no newbie, but until now I've just never really had any immediate interest in lever actions. I guess the time has come to fill that gap.

jhenry

I have the Marlin 30-30 and a Winchester M94 in 30-30. Like them both, but I do prefer the M94's for it's svelte lines, and greater comfort in carry over the miles. Accuracy is about a draw. I do not like the rather bulbous forearms favored by Marlin and intend to reshape mine over the winter after dealing with refinising an intact but oddly spray painted Lee Enfield MK III*, 1917. Gold sparay paint on the metal for Pete's sake. What were they thinking.

badlander

Marlin is A good choice. I would go with the 30-30. I want A rifle to shoot A rifle round. opinions will vary.
45-70 is more fun than 30-30 or .44

L_Killkenny

It all depends on what you want to use it for. The .357, .44 and 30/30 are all great IMO. Magazine capacity goes to the pistol rounds, range goes to the 30/30. All are good for deer out to 100 yards. For hunting past that the nod goes to the 30/30 but for plinkin I like the pistol rounds.

Action types vary. For the pistol rounds the M92 has a very strong action but the Marlin 1894 is easy to scope. Also, like stated above, the Marlin forearms are very bulky. My older eyes like scopes and red dot which is why I lean towards the Marlin. But I love the feel of the M92's.a

In 30/30 the Winchester and Marlin have the same disadvantages/advantages as the 2 above. The Winchester feels better to most (me included) but the MArlin is easier to scope. At least it was before the "angle eject (AE)" Winchesters came out. Which BTW, I own and like the AE Winchesters better than the Marlins. But the Marlins are good guns.

What does all this come down to? If you want a plinkin and short range hunting gun than go with a pistol caliber. If you want a little more range go with the 30/30.

LK

MCCALL911

I'm a big fan of the Marlin 94 in .44 Magnum. I might flinch with a handgun in this caliber, so a long gun might be the way to go for better controllability IMO. The .44 Magnum would cover everything that I, personally, would want to shoot at. Plus, you can shoot .44 Specials for fun all day long.

Abel

Out to 200 yard shots, the 30-30 edges the 44. And 30-30 ammo is always on the shelf while pistol ammo isn't these days. I'd rather have the 35 Remington myself...which I do. :D

dondavis3

Winchester Bufflo Bill 30/30 w/ Octagon Barrel

DSC_0115.jpg

Uberti, .45 Long Colt Cimarron 1866 Short Rifle 20" octagon barrel

DSC_0126-1.jpg

Both guns are very accurate - I've shot 4 deer with the Winchester.

:cool:

GONIF

Marlin 1895 in 4570 ,or a used Savage 99 in .308 . and don't forget a Browning BLR . pistol calibers in rifles leave me cold .;)

Brenten

I am waiting for marlin to come out with a 500 s&w lever action with full underlug. And I don't want to pay the wild west guns price.

Catfish25p2000

I would go with the 30-30 if your only going to get one hands down. I'm afraid you will find the pistol caliber lacking when it comes to range. I would get the 30-30, then start saving for the pistol calibers. I think they are both great gun types though. As another poster stated, there are just about always 30-30 rounds on the shelf. Good luck and let us know what you went with.

mavracer

Some random thoughts the 30/30 will be a better choice as the range gets much past 125 yards.
The Marlins with micro groove barrels are finicky about lead bullets mine doesn't stablize lead and is starting to yaw at 25 yards and groups go from 1" with jacketed to like 3" with cast.
Marlin also uses a slow 1 in 38" twist which won't stabalize 300gr bullets.
the Rossi's have a 1 in 20" conventional rifling which will shoot lead and 300gr bullets well.
Browning also made 92 Winchester copys they are great and can sometimes be found used.
That said I do have a Marlin 94 in 44 mag with micro groove and I love it I shoot mostly 240 rainiers or 240 noslers out of it.
But I also have a Winchester 94 in 30/30, a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt and a Marlin 45/70 so I might not be the best help for one allaround lever gun;)

Mtn Biker

If you are planning on using it for hunting I would get a Marlin in 30-30. If you want something to shoot at the range or just throw over your shoulder when out beating around in the outback, I would go for a Marlin 1894 in 44mag. I have a Marlin 1894C in .357mag and it is absolutely my favorite rifle that I have ever owned.

VL

Sarge

I've had several Marlin 30-30's; easy favorite was a pre-safety 336T with the straight-grip stock and, I believe, an 18 1/2 inch barrel. It was also the most accurate of any Marlin levergun I owned... should have kept that one. I also had an early-80's Marlin 44 Magnum. Couldn't get the .44 to group well with anything I tried in it and I was no stranger to the .44 magnum, even then.

A good 30-30 is an honest 200 yard hunting rifle, easily capable of making clean kills on deer at that distance or a shade further; and a Winchester is the only one I'll own. All of mine have been plenty accurate. I like the top ejection and the fact that unlike Marlins and Strawberries, the Winchester don't have a jam named after it. The 92 & 94 Winchesters work slick and carry like John Browning ground them to fit my hands. So does Rossi's near-direct copy of the 1892, and I wouldn't trade the .45 Colt I have for any two Marlins chambered for revolver rounds.

This subject of course is much like the blondes-brunettes-redheads debate; largely a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:

jmr40

I have a Marlin in 44 and several Marlins and Winchesters in 30-30, 35 and 45-70. In my experience the 30-30 will be more accurate at all ranges. The 44 does not have the paper ballistics, but out to 100 yards is probably the better killer on deer sized game. Beyond 100 yards the 44 is not really in the game however. In the Marlins the 44 is lighter, holds more rounds, can be loaded faster. Because of the shorter lever throw it is easier to get off rapid repeat shots. I've not had any trouble finding 44 ammo and it is less expensive as well.

If I had to keep just 1, it would be a Marlin 30-30 with the straight stock. They didn't make a lot of them, but they are not extremely rare either. I've managed to collect 5 and know where another is in a gunshop.

warbirdlover

I always liked the Savage 99 lever gun. And the Browning is nice too. More powerful options for caliber also. Not sure if you are looking at the Winchester type of gun or just any lever gun.

Swampghost

I am Win. lever free, I gave the last one to my son as he has more time for fooling with them.

Marlin's are my choice. A lot of fun to slick up, not a lot of parts. Excellent Marlin site http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php?board=32.0

I like 1894's and also have some 336's.

Some 1894 .44Mag facts; to 100 yds. It really doesn't matter which ammo you shoot. Zero @ 100 and you'll be over 1" high @ 50, good enough. These are not target rifles. My MicroGroove shooting factory 240 JHP's drops 14" @200 when zeroed for 100 and will shoot 3" groups, also go clean through a wet 4X4.

IMO too far for the round and I'd never attempt it but it's nice to know that you can stretch out a bit beyond 100.

MoBart

I think your best bet is to paitently look around for the best deal you can find on either one. Your right I think on haveing a revolver and carbine in the same caliber, makes good sense to me. As a matter of fact I have a marlin .357 I bought to go with my ruger convertable blackhawk, that I bought cause it shoots both calibers I shoot most (9mm and ..38 special) and its a single action. Its a great rifle to tote around, hits hard enough far enough out for deer with heavy solid and semi jacketed bullets. I have never owned a Marline 1894 in .44mag, but did have a Winchester trapper in that caliber. It was a good carbine to. I've seen alot of the rossi and puma rifles off and on over the years cause I've worked in several gunshops as side or part time jobs. Never had anyone buy one and complain about it. As far as brazilian gun quality, they are all imported by Taurus as far as I know, other then the Puma. I carry a Taurus revolver everyday, they are manufactured everybit as well as a smith, and have a lifetime warrenty on them. The rossis are great little carbines. There isn't anything wrong with a 30/30 either of course just ask the thousands of guys picking up deer from the lockers in the next few weeks who used it lol.

olyinaz

If you're going to stick to iron sights and you'd enjoy doing some plinking then a lever gun in .357 or .44 is a heckuva lot of fun.

I rarely shoot my .30-30 but if I were deer hunting I'd grab it for sure. My .357 and .45 Colt lever guns get shot A LOT because it's so dang much fun.

Best,
Oly