It started out as a trip to Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTrain

My wife's sister and her husband moved to Germany a year ago and right away my wife said now we have an excuse to go there. Well, that's nice but it wasn't long before it turned into a trip to the UK. We leave for London the day after tomorrow.

I had mentioned that in some other post a month or two ago and I had sort of hoped to make a nice long post about a gun enthusiast's visit to Great Britain. Sort of a foolish idea, wasn't it? So perhaps I can give a first-hand impression of British policing instead.

irish52084

If you get a chance, go see a taping of the show Top Gear, I think tickets are free and I've heard it's a blast. At least if you're into cars, especially exotics.

Other than that, enjoy yourself in the western European culture. Lots to see and do, including some very interesting architecture. Catch a soccer game if you have the time, the enthusiasm and devotion of their fans is crazy. Some of their taunting chants are classic, much different then we are used to in American sports culture.

BlueTrain

The current climate in London regarding self-defense (self-defence) is probably overcast but I can make comparisons with a trip into D.C. when I get back. However, self-defense is not illegal there to my knowledge.

I have seen only one or two shows of Top Gear. My interest in British cars fell off after they quit making Triumphs, Rovers, MGs, Austins, Rileys, etc., etc., probably around the time Leonard Setright passed away. I do plan to visit the National Army Museum, though. In fact it is curious how militaristic the British seem to be, in a way. We wind up the trip in Edinburgh and we already have tickets to see the tattoo. We have seen it once before when it came to Wolf Trap in 1976 but I'm sure it wasn't the same thing as on the home turf. I will have to see Mons Meg when I'm there. In any event, the first part of the trip (while in London) is looking to be interesting. My wife's cousin is returning from Kabul on Saturday. I thought he was the one who went to questionable places.

Maybe I could call on Andy Arratoonian while I'm there.

oneounceload

Maybe you should go to Purdey, Boss, and some others and not totally focus only on tactical, self-defense stuff. You'd be surprised at the nice guns they have in England

Enjoy your trip, but sorry, this is really off topic for TFL.

If when you come back you have engaged in any firearms pursuits, let us know.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.