issues with cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

hornetguy

I have a "friend" who has issues with neighborhood cats...

Ok, it's me. :rolleyes: We have a cat, about 17 yrs old, that lives in our garage. She gets out and roams the neighborhood, like all the other cats do.
The problem is that if we leave the garage door up for her to come and go, all the other neighborhood cats want to come in the garage and clean out her food bowl.
I've thought about a pellet rifle, but I don't want to seriously injure/kill someone else's cat. I just want to "inspire" them to stay away from the garage.
Lately I've thought about an air-soft gun, but know next to nothing about them. So... ask the forum. :D

Are they powerful enough to "sting" (inspire) a cat, without doing physical harm to them? Range would be probably 15-20yds, max, since when I open the door to the garage, they slink down the drive toward the alley. By the time I pick up the gun, that would be the approximate range.

I also thought about getting an inexpensive pump up airgun, and just pump it once or twice, to keep the velocity of the pellet down low.

Any ideas?

Stressfire

Airsoft is a good idea if you are not trying to do any "damage" and a good alternative to a BB gun.

I have a couple of airsoft pistols that I use for indoor target practice, primarily, and also have used on cats, dogs, squirrels, rabbits, etc.

No, I am not a serial killer in training:p I do not do so for entertainment. But yes, they are effective "stingers" and will usually bounce right off if you aim for the hindquarters.

My ex actually shot me with one of them at pretty close range and it was no more painful than getting hit with a paintball going about 400fps. Actually left a bruise pattern consistent with a solid paintball hit, just smaller;)

drail

PLEASE do not let your cat roam the neighborhood. It is irresponsible. Are you really considering shooting other people's cats while you let yours run loose? I could tell you some pretty disturbing stories concerning what they are able to do when left to roam. One of my neighbor's cats climbed onto the hood of my truck one night and deposited diarhhea into the fresh air vent in front of the windshield. It went into the entire heating system. Wanna know how much fun THAT was to tear apart and clean out? Leaving your garage door open at night is a really bad idea also. If you care about your cat keep it in your house under your control.

Spats McGee

Administrator
I have two cats and can tell you that cats hate the smell of vinegar. The only thing that they hate more than the smell of vinegar is smelling like vinegar. Get one of those big ol' "super soaker" type squirt guns and fill it with a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water. I use a spray bottle on our two (indoor) cats and it does wonders, with no risk of injury to the beasts.

gunloony

PLEASE do not let your cat roam the neighborhood. It is irresponsible. Are you really considering shooting other people's cats while you let yours run loose? I could tell you some pretty disturbing stories concerning what they are able to do when left to roam. One of my neighbor's cats climbed onto the hood of my truck one night and deposited diarhhea into the fresh air vent in front of the windshield. It went into the entire heating system. Wanna know how much fun THAT was to tear apart and clean out? Leaving your garage door open at night is a really bad idea also. If you care about your cat keep it in your house under your control.

Amen to that.
I care too much for my cats to let them roam. They stay in the house.
Anyone who lets his own animal wander the neighborhood has no grounds to complain about other animals visiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.