Issues with Browning SA22 takedown

gbclarkson

Hello all,

My 9-year old son received my father-in-law's Browning SA-22 takedown rifle as Christmas gift. We took it out in the cold to test fire today and it would not cycle. The first magazine of 4 and next with 5 fed and fired fine but every other round after that would appear to want company and double feed. I took it home and gave it a good cleaning and tried cycling Tipton snap caps but those would not feed at all; they would get "hung up" for lack of a more knowledgeable phrase. Is this rifle known to be picky? I was shooting 36gr. Federal.

I would like to send it to a service center (mainly to replace the worn sights) but herein lies my primary concern: I can't find the serial number. It is not located "on the lower rear of the right side of the receiver" as a downloaded manual states. I can't find it anywhere. Is this thing even legal? If I send it to be serviced will I get it back? Was there a run of this model that escaped production without serial numbers? On the barrel is stamped: "BROWNING ARMS COMPANY ST LOUIS Mo. & MONTREAL P.Q.", "MADE IN BELGIUM"; "BROWNING'S PATENT", and "22 LONG RIFLE", and there are various proof marks stamped throughout, also; but no serial number. All my father-in-law remembers is he bought it, used, from some guy in the 70s.

I look forward to input and suggestions.

Geoff

fourbore

Prior to 1968 serial number were optional, but; that does not sound right for a browning. from google

In 1968, the Gun Control Act (GCA) imposed numerous additional requirements in the arena of gun manufacture. As per the GCA, all firearms manufactured or imported into the United States are required to bear a serial number.

Here is a discussion on FIRING LINE 2016:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578101

does this help?

Turns out it was there the whole time. Underside of barrel, in front of fore-end.

gbclarkson

Yes, there it is: underside of the barrel and under my nose: 8T 010. Reading historical search threads answering the same question has been helpful also. TFL is a library if I bother to use it!

In 1961, Browning changed their codes to include a T for .22 long rifle and E for .22 short. The number before the T is the run number. 8T is 1968. 010 is the SN.

Thanks, TFL (past and present)

bn12gg

My 1966 SA22 is not ammo picky. Generally I use CCI mini mags but occasionally use Federal bulk 40gr. These are fabulous rifles that remain in production by Miruko in Japan for Browning. For superb accuracy use a barrel mount for your scope -- Leupold or Browning make them.

.02. David. :)

JWT

Browning licensed manufacture of these semi autos to Remington for a number of years. They they had them manufactured in Belgium under the Browning name. They now have Miroku make the guns under the Browning name in Japan.

The Belgian guns are highly sought and very good. The Japanese (Miroku) guns are excellent quality but do not command the used price of the Belgian guns.

I've had a Miroku version for a number of years and never had any kind of problems with it. It seems to function well with any brand of .22 lr ammo. I generally shoot the Federal or CCI Blazer bulk pack ammo through it. Mine has not been fussy at all.

joe45c

Sounds like your might be missing the Cartridge Stop in your gun. Sometimes they fall out while cleaning the gun. It's part number 14 in the numrich schematic drawing.

FrankenMauser

Look at the underside of the receiver, at the very front.
Depending upon year of manufacture, the serial number could be there.

As mentioned, cartridge stops (there are multiple) are common failure points in these rifles (the Remington versions, as well).
However... a very thorough cleaning is usually all they need to get running, if it is not a high-round-count rifle. The SA-22 uses some small parts with tight tolerances, including the cartridge stops, and they don't like dirt and grime.

Last edited: