Isreali house guns

Thumper

I've heard a lot about this subject from different "experts," from people claiming that every household is issued a Galil to those who say that most homes lack firearms.

Does anyone know for sure what government firearms the average Isreali home contains, if any? The subject might come up in the next few months, given Isreal's newest prime minister.

Dave R

Knowing what little I know about Sharon's military career (that's MR. Ariel Sharon to us...), I think he'd be more likely to upgrade the civilian armament than do anything else...

He is a general in the mold of Patton.

Libertarian

From an Israeli friend of mine, most Israelis do not have firearms. Those who do have a wide selection but the usual battle rifle issued/owned by non-military Israelis is the M-16, not the Galil. He says that the Galil is reserved for the Army and special units.

My father spent a year there teaching at Weitzman Institute. He saw quite a few Uzis and Browning HPs around the campus. The Russian immigrant farm owner, whose family he usually stayed with, had an Uzi in his truck and several rifles around the house - mostly M-16s.