Isn't this a Type 99?

deerslayer303

fb06bef3d153e01c5d6c97765dc697e3.jpg

0bf07c2db8641191021eb2a560b4ee36.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

deerslayer303

Thanks Guys, I have a few better pics. I'm just having problems uploading them. This one would be a "last ditch" or late production Type 38 then, right? And it should be chambered in 7.7 Japanese, right?

Scorch

This one would be a "last ditch" or late production Type 38 then, right?
No, "last ditch" rifles were not type 38s. And Type 38s were chambered for the 6.5X50 Japanese service cartridge.

BillM

Type 38, model of 1905, long rifle.
Is there a serial number and any other markings on the left
side of the receiver?

Last edited:

deerslayer303

Is there a serial number and any other markings on the left
side of the receiver?
I didn't see any other numbers or markings on it. I will have the rifle in my possession tonight. Then I will be able to look it over some more. My Dad wants me to clean it up for him.

deerslayer303

Definitely a Type 38.
Pretty decent markings.
Fair condition stock.

How does the bore look?

The lands and grooves in the barrel look to be in good shape. Its very dirty / dusty. I'll know more when I can clean it some.

James K

Member In Memoriam
There is no such thing as a "last ditch" Type 38, since the Type 38 was out of production long before the end of WWII.

Jim

tahunua001

agree. with the rest. type 38 rifle. the 3 parallel lines are the number 3, the two oposing arcs below that are the number 8:38. otherwise it would have the number 9 repeated twice, which looks somewhat like a cursive, lowercase "r".

"There is no such thing as a "last ditch" Type 38, since the Type 38 was out of production long before the end of WWII."

Sort of.

Type 38 production ended in home island arsenals in the early 1940s, but continued at Mukden (now Shenyang) until late 1944 or early 1945, concurrent with Type 99 production.